Seizures and employment

Dusto1985

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ive been denied for disability 3 times but ive also been fired from at least 3 jobs because of seizure from low blood sugar. Because i was unable to test my sugar because i could not afford testing supplies. Anyone else have this issue or any advice

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No advice that I have is going to be applicable to you because I only know how it works in England and Wales. Where are you based? How is your healthcare funded?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ive been denied for disability 3 times but ive also been fired from at least 3 jobs because of seizure from low blood sugar. Because i was unable to test my sugar because i could not afford testing supplies. Anyone else have this issue or any advice

I'm guessing you're in the US @Dusto1985 ?

We have members here from the U.S. who will hopefully respond. Are there any charities who can help you? Have you contacted your doctor to see what they suggest?

If you were working, then could you not afford a basic number of strips per day with your wages?

Let me tag @TorqPenderloin for you.

Zarrr24

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes

Hi, im in the UK and havkng a simular problem. I have lost 4 jobs as a result of hypos (other illness contributes too) and been denied disability. Any advice also would help.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, im in the UK and havkng a simular problem. I have lost 4 jobs as a result of hypos (other illness contributes too) and been denied disability. Any advice also would help.

Can you give a little more information @Zarrr24 ?

Were you actually sacked because of the hypos or was it something to do,with your sickness record, etc?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
And your profile says you have Prediabetes - is that correct?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you're in the USA there are a number of ways to obtain test strips at little-to-no cost.

Assuming you're in the US, how do you fund your insulin?

Zarrr24

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Can you give a little more information @Zarrr24 ?

Were you actually sacked because of the hypos or was it something to do,with your sickness record, etc?

Hi, it was more my sickness leave and being sent home regularly due to having hypos. They decided to not extend my contract as a result of "letting the team down due to illness leave".

Zarrr24

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
And your profile says you have Prediabetes - is that correct?

If this is to me.
I didnt really kno what category to put it in. Im post gastric surgery which causes postprandic hypos. Theyve tried me on meds but it makes no difference. Im meant to control it by diet but it just isnt happening and is taking over my life.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, it was more my sickness leave and being sent home regularly due to having hypos. They decided to not extend my contract as a result of "letting the team down due to illness leave".

I'm not sure how the law covers the extension of contracts but you shouldn't be penalised for having Type 1. However, with a contract naturally ending, you would have to prove you'd been treated unfairly in comparison to others, I would guess. It would also depend how they worded your contract ending.

Tagging @catapillar because she has given good information about employment.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If this is to me.
I didnt really kno what category to put it in. Im post gastric surgery which causes postprandic hypos. Theyve tried me on meds but it makes no difference. Im meant to control it by diet but it just isnt happening and is taking over my life.

Ah, ok. That's a special situation and I'm not sure we have anything that would specifically cover that. I think the nearest would be Reactive Hypoglycaemia.

What dietary advice were you given?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome Zarrr

Yes, Reactive Hypoglycaemia is a well known complication that some people experience after gastric band surgery.

We have an RH section of the forum if you wanted to have a look, @Zarrr24
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/reactive-hypoglycemia.70/

Have you been given the diagnosis of RH?

We had a poster a while back called @tooner9
His reactive hypoglycaemia type symptoms were the result of gastric band surgery, and he got a diagnosis of RH while he was visiting the forum.
This is his first thread, I think.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/help-required.98321/

I believe he tried different ways of eating for a while, including high protein.

Hopefully he will get my tag, and come and say how he is doing now, but he hasn't visited the forum since last summer, so he may not get back to us.

Here is a link to a search of all his posts, if you want to read his experiences.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/members/tooner9.242838/

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

@Zarrr24 - If your contract was coming to a natural end; meaning you were there on a 6 month contract and 6 months expired, then your employer is under no obligation whatsoever to extend it. If they have actually told you it's because of your sickness record, they haven't done themselves any favours. In reality it would have been more savvy of them just to let your contract expire, as is their right.

Sadly, in terms of "disability", I don't think it would be reasonable to expect to be taken under that wing without a diagnosis of any sort. Whilst I have no reason to doubt what you are saying, it could be seen as given your less enthusiastic colleagues a bit of an "in" if you were granted disability rights under those circumstances.

I see others have asked about what you're eating, as that probably is quite key to finding some way of you doing better with your lot.

When you say ".... Im meant to control it by diet but it just isnt happening ....", do you mean the recommended diet isn't making any noticeable difference to how you are, or that you're not managing to amend your diet as advised?

johnbear2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
conservative polititicians
I am in Scotland,and work as a security officer,I have to take paid holidays to attend various appointments for consultants due to having t1d and mythocondrial disease,though my boss still says I am off more than working,I just say it is better than being off sick