Low blood sugar

Louise M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The misinformation out there about diabetes and misunderstanding of difference between Type1 and 2 .
Hi folks , just wondering if anyone can advise. Have been Type1 for 40 years. This afternoon , our youngest son aged 14 felt light headed and dizzy. Checked his bg and it was 3.3 . I've given him half a glass of coke about 10g carbs and a sandwich. So I'm not bothered right now but I'm wondering what might cause this and shpild I get him checked at Gp . Thanks in advance

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Louise M . I've been T1 for 27 yrs. Many years before diagnosis I was undertaking an extremely physical task on a Saturday morning, it involved some serious lifting, driving and problem solving. At the time breakfast was a bad word to me, early 20's , I knew it all.
To cut a long story short , midday I was in a cold sweat, shaking, double vision . I stopped at the first shop I saw and bought 3 mars bars and ate them one after another. Never really gave it a second thought at the time and knew nothing about diabetes.
Looking back now with what I now know I suspect my sugars were dropping faster than my body could react and I was in diabetic terms having a hypo.
Keep an eye on your son, but it's maybe a similar situation.
Obviously if he starts to show any other symptoms of diabetes then get him checked out.
My incident happened at least 7 yrs before diagnosis and I don't think it was in anyway a precursor for my later diagnosis.
Hope this helps.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My hubby at 50 regularly has bloods at 3.3 to 4.0...
Normally due to going to gym.
Nowadays he eats before and after gym.. otherwise low bloods do cause him to be 'narky".

Louise M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The misinformation out there about diabetes and misunderstanding of difference between Type1 and 2 .
Btw he had already eaten , breakfast , lunch and afternoon snack , so not due to hunger or not eating .

Reactions: Freema

Louise M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks folks , he was playing basketball and he tells me the same thing happened last week at friends playing basketball. I've advised him to make sure and have juice or lucozade with him at basketball along with water. He also plays squash but doesn't last as long.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Louise M - Many non-diabetics have low blood sugars, just as the way they are. Have you tested him in the past or was this really a one-off?

One thing I would say, when I was playing lots of competitive sport, the only times I would feel as you describe was when I was dehydrated and really needed to get some fluids in, rather than necessarily eat.

I have quite low blood sugars these days and most days spend at least some time in the 3s. Overnight, I can spend long periods in the 3s without any issue. It just seems to be the way I am these days.

I'm not suggesting your course of action was flawed, just trying to reassure you it could likely be of no concern whatsoever. On the other hand, probably a good idea just to keep an eye on it.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Louise M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Louise M - Many non-diabetics have low blood sugars, just as the way they are. Have you tested him in the past or was this really a one-off?

One thing I would say, when I was playing lots of competitive sport, the only times I would feel as you describe was when I was dehydrated and really needed to get some fluids in, rather than necessarily eat.

I have quite low blood sugars these days and most days spend at least some time in the 3s. Overnight, I can spend long periods in the 3s without any issue. It just seems to be the way I am these days.

I'm not suggesting your course of action was flawed, just trying to reassure you it could likely be of no concern whatsoever. On the other hand, probably a good idea just to keep an eye on it.
He had drank lots today so definitely not dehydrated. I have checked his bg in the past if ill . Normally it's in acceptable range . Will just keep an eye , thanks .

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Just make sure he has long acting carbs before sports and something during and after. He sounds pretty active (celebrate that!!-lol!!)... me, I wouldnt be too concerned but would make sure he's carbed up pre, during and after sports...

Reactions: Freema and Louise M

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He had drank lots today so definitely not dehydrated. I have checked his bg in the past if ill . Normally it's in acceptable range . Will just keep an eye , thanks .

It could be an idea to check a few times, after similar levels of exercise if today was the only time you have done that; just to see what his usual post-exercise levels are like.

As I'm sure you know, some folks find exercise lowers their blood glucose levels anyway, and for others, it actually raises them. The body is a wondrous thing. :)

Reactions: Louise M

Louise M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Louise M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
More questions, so he has had three low blood sugars now, after sport. Dr advised check blood glucose for week. It was 8.1 this evening around 7.30 (about 2 hours after dinner) . He came up from bed half hour ago 10.30 as he was feeling sick and woozy and thought it may be low again and he checked it and it was 8.4. Am i right in thinking the normal range is still 4~7 ? Dr refused to do blood test on Monday. Would you be insisting if it was your child ? with a family history of said 14 yo having mother , 3 aunts and 1 uncle with type 1 ?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
More questions, so he has had three low blood sugars now, after sport. Dr advised check blood glucose for week. It was 8.1 this evening around 7.30 (about 2 hours after dinner) . He came up from bed half hour ago 10.30 as he was feeling sick and woozy and thought it may be low again and he checked it and it was 8.4. Am i right in thinking the normal range is still 4~7 ? Dr refused to do blood test on Monday. Would you be insisting if it was your child ? with a family history of said 14 yo having mother , 3 aunts and 1 uncle with type 1 ?
Hi there @Louise M
without wanting to sound worried , I would suggest that with all that family history going on , I would be insisting on further testing for your son.
nothing you have written so far is setting off huge alarm bells , but the numbers you have posted do suggest further investigation.
keep us posted
x

Louise M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi there @Louise M
without wanting to sound worried , I would suggest that with all that family history going on , I would be insisting on further testing for your son.
nothing you have written so far is setting off huge alarm bells , but the numbers you have posted do suggest further investigation.
keep us posted
x
thanks, yes initially I really didnt think there was any chance it was diabetes related, but those 8s this evening have me reconsidering. TBH I find his doctor very laid back. Thomas was prepared for blood test just to rule it out and even when i asked dr would he do test he said no. And the child is rarely at doctor so im not a freaky mam at doctor for every little sniffle.

Reactions: himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
LOL -- I love the word mam !!!!! ( nicer than mum or mom )
it is the family history that is bothering me -- I know some real life people with D in the family and no age is outside the "rules".
my ( and your)peace of mind strongly suggests being firm with your doctor .

Louise M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
LOL -- I love the word mam !!!!! ( nicer than mum or mom )
it is the family history that is bothering me -- I know some real life people with D in the family and no age is outside the "rules".
my ( and your)peace of mind strongly suggests being firm with your doctor .
I was diagnosed at 3, sister 1 at 18 (diagnosed by me and sent to dr) brother at 9, sister 2 at 7 and sister 3 at 15. Hes just not himself at minute so its a concern. Going back to g.p next week and will be looking again for blood test, will bring him to my own gp if he refuses. (My gp is female and Thomas wanted a male gp hence different docs)

Reactions: donnellysdogs

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
wow -- there is a huge amount of experience there to call on-- I genuinely hope it turns out to be not D
xx

Reactions: Louise M

Louise M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well , it continues . Thomas hands were shaking yesterday afternoon and we checked bloods and they were 3.5 . So went into Gp and he took bloods for blood glucose and HBA1C and we dropped them to lab. So this will rule out diabetes hopefully.