On even more antibiotics now!

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You'd think I was making this up, right?! went back to the doctors today and she dipped my wee. She said there was protein, blood and sugar in my urine and gave me more antibiotics. (Trimethoprim). She said she doesn't know if I still have an infection, or if I have kidney stones. She then said to ring back on Friday to see the results. (Unfortunately I have to wait til 30th may for my scan...)
Ughhhhh! This happened to anyone else?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't recall protein or sugar but that doesn't mean it wasn't there, but I do know blood was.
Did they do a culture to find out if there is an infection and which bacteria it is ?
If it is stones waiting until the 30th is NOT good.
Is there somewhere else you can go?
Is the pain in your side or lower back?

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I don't recall protein or sugar but that doesn't mean it wasn't there, but I do know blood was.
Did they do a culture to find out if there is an infection and which bacteria it is ?
If it is stones waiting until the 30th is NOT good.
Is there somewhere else you can go?
Is the pain in your side or lower back?

She only dipped it, she said to ring back on Friday to find out if there's an infection :/ all she said was about the blood and protein etc being in my urine... which I'm guessing isn't good?! Ha. It's in my side.
And no unfortunately not :-( it's definitely too long to wait, not really sure what to do! I've been on so many antibiotics... I would just like an answer now tbh.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
She only dipped it, she said to ring back on Friday to find out if there's an infection :/ all she said was about the blood and protein etc being in my urine... which I'm guessing isn't good?! Ha. It's in my side.
And no unfortunately not :-( it's definitely too long to wait, not really sure what to do! I've been on so many antibiotics... I would just like an answer now tbh.
It does sound like stones to me. Does the pain get worse and better and move around?
Sounds like they are doing a culture. It takes a few days for the bacteria to grow. I believe, but not positive that the only way to know if it's stones is a scan.
They treated me with abx for a month for a bladder infection when it was stones. The fact the pain is in your side doesn't sound like bladder. Eventually I had to have surgery but rathered that then passing them!! I had two large ones sitting on top of my ureter.

Reactions: Chloesnavy

alhubb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Please call the practice manager at your surgery. The dr should NOT be giving you antibiotics if they are not sure if it is an infection or not. They should be testing to see what bacteria is possibly causing the infection, if there is one, and whether it is resistant to any antibiotics, which may be the reason it is not clearing up if it is an infection. Ask them whether they have requested an antibiotic susceptibility test on your sample, in case it is an infection, so they can treat it more effectively.

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It does sound like stones to me. Does the pain get worse and better and move around?
Sounds like they are doing a culture. It takes a few days for the bacteria to grow. I believe, but not positive that the only way to know if it's stones is a scan.
They treated me with abx for a month for a bladder infection when it was stones. The fact the pain is in your side doesn't sound like bladder. Eventually I had to have surgery but rathered that then passing them!! I had two large ones sitting on top of my ureter.

Interesting. It's not really a pain, it's more of an ache. Sometimes it's worse, depends on how I'm sitting / standing etc. It's like a dull, achy, niggly feeling. Felt a little sick today too! I just don't know. I always thought kidney stones were more serious - as in way more painful than just a dull ache?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting. It's not really a pain, it's more of an ache. Sometimes it's worse, depends on how I'm sitting / standing etc. It's like a dull, achy, niggly feeling. Felt a little sick today too! I just don't know. I always thought kidney stones were more serious - as in way more painful than just a dull ache?
They can be and they can get lodged in ducts which is when they're trying to pass. That's when the real pain comes in. I was just achy too at first. Occasional pain like you but more achy. Then they lodged in my duct. That's when the real pain came.
I agree with alhubb too. You need not be on an antibiotic without an infection and IF you have one you should be on the appropriate one for that specific bacteria.
Please do either eat quality yogurt or take a probiotic so you don't mess your stomach up. Antibiotics kill all our bacteria, not just the bad ones. It's important to keep replenishing the good ones.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Chloesnavy ..
I have suffered from kidney stones six times in the past and, every time, it starts off with a dull ache that can be eased by sitting or standing in different positions. Over time, though, the condition becomes much more painful because the stones prevent you from passing urine. And the bigger the stones, the worse the pain. Sometimes, it's just a question of time as the stones pass naturally but on other occasions, laser treatment to break up the stones can be necessary.
Bottom line, the pain can be excruciating and the only remedy that has worked for me is A&E and a few hours in a recovery ward with pethedine injections to dull the pain until the stones pass - note: I was advised to follow this route by a sister in our A&E

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
They can be and they can get lodged in ducts which is when they're trying to pass. That's when the real pain comes in. I was just achy too at first. Occasional pain like you but more achy. Then they lodged in my duct. That's when the real pain came.
I agree with alhubb too. You need not be on an antibiotic without an infection and IF you have one you should be on the appropriate one for that specific bacteria.
Please do either eat quality yogurt or take a probiotic so you don't mess your stomach up. Antibiotics kill all our bacteria, not just the bad ones. It's important to keep replenishing the good ones.

I know, it's annoying. I don't wanna be taking more antibiotics if it's not an infection, but at the same time, I don't wanna NOT take them, in case it is :( ahhhhh.
I just did my ketones and have a slight trace. That can't be good. Where do I get probiotics from???

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Chloesnavy ..
I have suffered from kidney stones six times in the past and, every time, it starts off with a dull ache that can be eased by sitting or standing in different positions. Over time, though, the condition becomes much more painful because the stones prevent you from passing urine. And the bigger the stones, the worse the pain. Sometimes, it's just a question of time as the stones pass naturally but on other occasions, laser treatment to break up the stones can be necessary.
Bottom line, the pain can be excruciating and the only remedy that has worked for me is A&E and a few hours in a recovery ward with pethedine injections to dull the pain until the stones pass - note: I was advised to follow this route by a sister in our A&E

Thank you. I am starting to think it could be kidney stones. What causes them?
Can't believe I have to wait until 30th march to find out! :( just wanna have my scan now. Feeling quite sick again!

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Please call the practice manager at your surgery. The dr should NOT be giving you antibiotics if they are not sure if it is an infection or not. They should be testing to see what bacteria is possibly causing the infection, if there is one, and whether it is resistant to any antibiotics, which may be the reason it is not clearing up if it is an infection. Ask them whether they have requested an antibiotic susceptibility test on your sample, in case it is an infection, so they can treat it more effectively.

This is what I was thinking :( I'll have to ring tomorrow as they're closed - have no idea what's going on in my own body!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I know, it's annoying. I don't wanna be taking more antibiotics if it's not an infection, but at the same time, I don't wanna NOT take them, in case it is :( ahhhhh.
I just did my ketones and have a slight trace. That can't be good. Where do I get probiotics from???
Any pharmacy and loads of stores. In poll form. They're also in quality yogurt and kefir.

Not sure of the causes but I know high oxalate foods do. Spinach is the worst. Then there's the other dark leafy greens but kale is ok. Nuts and seeds do as well. Google high oxalate foods.

The kidney stone diet is to eat low oxalate foods, drink loads of water with lemon to keep flushing them, low protein and sodium as well. There more but they didn't apply to me so I don't remember. Google kidney stone diet.

JimH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to here of your continuing kidney pain. I had similar achy pains, protein and microscopic amounts of blood in urine, occasional blood clots, reduced kidney function and later lots of blood in urine! I was on various antibiotics for approx 15 months before the kidney stone was zapped with a laser and removed. The consultant said that the stone was probably infected causing the bladder infection to return soon after stopping each course of antibiotics. The good news is that kidney function returned to normal after the operation.
You must keep taking the antibiotics prescribed to prevent the infection from getting worse and keep going back to GP promptly as often as it takes if/when the infection returns/worsens.
It's annoying, but the long delays in getting scans and consultant appointments is normal with NHS.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can't believe I have to wait until 30th march to find out! :( just wanna have my scan now. Feeling quite sick again!
The nausea ( if that's what your feeling) could be the antibiotic. Probiotics should help that.

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Any pharmacy and loads of stores. In poll form. They're also in quality yogurt and kefir.

Not sure of the causes but I know high oxalate foods do. Spinach is the worst. Then there's the other dark leafy greens but kale is ok. Nuts and seeds do as well. Google high oxalate foods.

The kidney stone diet is to eat low oxalate foods, drink loads of water with lemon to keep flushing them, low protein and sodium as well. There more but they didn't apply to me so I don't remember. Google kidney stone diet.

I barely eat spinach tbh, I've had a bit of rocket recently but that's only been within the last few weeks! I'll google it though, thank you. The more I read about kidney stones, the more I think I definitely have them. Thanks for all the advice

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sorry to here of your continuing kidney pain. I had similar achy pains, protein and microscopic amounts of blood in urine, occasional blood clots, reduced kidney function and later lots of blood in urine! I was on various antibiotics for approx 15 months before the kidney stone was zapped with a laser and removed. The consultant said that the stone was probably infected causing the bladder infection to return soon after stopping each course of antibiotics. The good news is that kidney function returned to normal after the operation.
You must keep taking the antibiotics prescribed to prevent the infection from getting worse and keep going back to GP promptly as often as it takes if/when the infection returns/worsens.
It's annoying, but the long delays in getting scans and consultant appointments is normal with NHS.

15 months?! Bloody hell thats a long time! Sorry to hear about that!
Yes see that's exactly what I'm feeling - I'm also feeling a little sick - just checked my ketones and I have a trace of ketones - drinking plenty of water.
Grrrrr wish I could just do the scan myself haha

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What's rocket lol?

Arugula (I think that's the technical term!) I thought it was the antibiotics but, I finished them last night and have been feeling sick all day. Just only now taken my first one of my fourth dosage! (Does that make any sense!) haha

JimH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
15 months?! Bloody hell thats a long time! Sorry to hear about that!
Yes see that's exactly what I'm feeling - I'm also feeling a little sick - just checked my ketones and I have a trace of ketones - drinking plenty of water.
Grrrrr wish I could just do the scan myself haha

Unfortunately, they couldn't find the stone with the first ultrasound scan that the GP arranged. They later found it by injecting dye and a performing CT scan. Most likely would have been much quicker if it was found on initial scan. I hope you have more luck.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Chloesnavy ..
Kidney stones are little lumps made up of crystals from the minerals calcium, oxalate and uric acid when there are more of these crystals than the fluid in your urine can dilute ..
If your pain increases and you can not pass urine, you could try A&E .. but having said that it's a few years since this last happened to and it may be that, now, a call to 111 may be a better option. But don't put it off ..