Newly Diagnosed woman problems

missy1979

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narrow minded people. Selfish people.
I am a 31 year old female weight is normal and I was diagnosed last week with type 1 diabetes after my doc tested me and my count was at 23.3! :shock:
My question is female parts related.
One of the symptoms that brought me to the doctor in the first place was a severve bout of thrush. :oops:
The doc persc me a belt and braces approach to dealing with the thrush which included 3 pessary tablets and a massive tube of cream!

The Thrush cleared up but since starting on my injections Humalog mix 25 2x per day (12 units in the morning and 8 at night) the thrush has returned and i have also started on my cycle early even though im on Logynon contraceptive pill.

Is this a normal reaction to the start of treatment?
Im finding it harder to deal with the thrush and wondered is there any other remedies etc that you may have discovered that could help? :|

mindii

Dislikes
rude or over opinionated, over bearing people. liars,
the rain and the cold!
Hi Missy1979,]
Oh you've been having some time of it haven't you? Thrush then diabetes that truly sucks!
I was told once that thrush is very common when you have prolonged periods of high blood sugars, another reason to try to keep them in check eh?
Hope your adjusting to your new "lifestyle" and are feeling a bit better!!
xxx

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I only got it when I had high blood sugar. Make sure to complete the treatment so it is really gone. The 3 pesserys and also cream is to make sure it is all gone, you really need to 'nuke' it like that, thrush can get resistant to treatment if you let any survive.
The current heat won't be helping either. I was given a leaflet with loads of things to avoid so I didn't get thrush again, did you get something similar?

josie38

Hi missy,

I had this problem when i was first diagnosed and like mindii says it is worse because of the high sugar levels which over time should settle down. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do but keep using the cream and try getting the tablet instead of pessary. Try to keep your sugar levels in check. If i get it now i know its because ive probably had a spell of high sugars, so i tighten my control and treat it.

Unfortunately, it is one of the problems of being a female diabetic. Your dr may want to change your pill as well cuz some of them dont work to well with the diabetes. I had to stop taking it when i was diagnosed. You may find that your cycle does change and your sugar levels will be all over the shop when itis your time but you could find it helpful to talk to a diabetic nurse about these things.

Hope things go well for you now and in the future xxxxx

Josiexxx

missy1979

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you all :)
I have not yet had any info on things to avoid to lessen thrush attacks.
I had no idea that some pills dont work well with diabetes treatment :shock: I will have to check that out with my nurse asap.
I was given a second persc. of pessary tablets to help if i did suffer a 2nd attack after my monster attack :roll: I think i should ask for the tablets like you say to see if it works better.
i cant thank you enough for your replies it really helps
:D
xxxxxx

badmedisin

Hi,
High blood sugars definitely cause thrush. Are you testing your levels and have they taught you about carb counting?
I think the single dose tablet is loads more effective than the pessaries and also less horrible. You can buy it for about £5 in Asda pharmacy (cheapest generic version) if you can't get a prescription quickly enough.
The cream and pessaries should have come with information about how to avoid further attacks, such as not wearing synthetic fibre underwear, avoiding tights, keeping clean but not using anything perfumed. But the best defence against it is to keep your blood sugars controlled.

Snodger

It is also very likely that your periods have been affected by the diagnosis - not necessarily by the blood sugars, could just be the stress. When I was diagnosed I stopped having periods altogether for a couple of months.
I also had thrush before diagnosis - it was one of the reasons I got diagnosed. It's grim, it makes everything seem extra depressing, doesnt it? Definitely it will improve as you get your blood sugars down, and as your stress levels start to even out after diagnosis, and the hot humid weather cools. Keeping clean and cool and dry helps. Also totally agree about the treatments; pessaries ugh, tablets and cream good.
If it's any comfort, I think blokes can get thrush on their bits too, when their blood sugars are high.
There are lots of contraceptive pills which are fine with diabetes so do keep asking till you get someone who knows their stuff and prescribe something that works for you.
And finally, welcome, and don't worry too much. There will seem like an avalanche of info to take in but you don't have to do it all at once. You can keep coming back here and asking questions and there are loads of people here who will support you.

dorsetlad

Dislikes
T2
It's strange , but I have a hearing problem, and wear an aid in each ear, and am prone to ear infections. Last year, long before I was diagnosed as a T2, I had an ear infection. The Nurse practitioner suggested taking a swab and having it tested. Yes, you guessed, I had Thrush in my ears. :shock: How strange is that? It took several months to clear it as it kept coming back. It makes you wonder if that was an early indication of diabetes.

Brian

missy1979

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thrush of the ear :shock:
I have never heard of that before.
That must have been a shock.
I cant thank you guys enough for the info. its all been a huge help.
There is such a lot of info to take in and i dont expect to take it all in in the next week lol :?
The nurse today suggested that the effected cycle is more than likely you be as a result of the type 1.
Still gonna have an early smear done to be on the safe side. :)
My levels are slowly coming into check now. have managed to get them round the 10 mark :p
Long may it continue
:D

leather_ferret

Dislikes
Doctors who think they know more than they do and are too arrogant to refer you on when they reach the limits of their ability.
Celebratory status, insane wages high fashion and womens make-up
(I'll get shot syaing things like that! :o))
Hi,

just before I was diagnosed and when my blood sugars were running riot I suffered penile thrush which I kept at bay with canestan and a very regular washing and drying regime. Not quite so easy for the Ladies :?

During a 4 month stay in Hospital with serious pancreas problems I suffere horrendous thrush in my mouth, gullet, within my gut, and of course, my wedding tackle. The docs tried all sorts of meds with little effect, My sister brought me in a single dose Diflucan 150mg pill and after checking (read 'arguing rather forcefully') with the Docs I took it. Within 2 days I was pretty much cleared up, It transpired that Hospital do not use them as they are £12 per pill..... cheapskates !! :twisted:

Well worth considering and perhaps talking to the pharmacist.

Since my blood sugars have been under control I have had no further problems at all.

Hope you get this cleared up as soon as possible

be good and be lucky

Dave

badmedisin

The diflucan capsule is a medical marvel. But yeah, they don't like prescribing it cos the canesten branded one is £12. So sometimes you have to just buy it, in which case go to asda and buy the galpharm generic thrush tablet. It's exactly the same thing but costs £4-5 ish. I love galpharm as the also do a £1 version of the £6 cold sore cream. Bargain! Anyway, don't tell the pharmacist you're diabetic, they'll say you need to see the gp. You don't need to see the gp as you already know it's your blood sugars and the gp isn't going to help with that... :)

pplprincess5480

I'm not diabetic my daughter is but I do suffer from thrush every time I have antibiotics and I get oral thrush from my medication I take for my asthma.

I take acidophilis (sp?) capsules from Holland and Barratt that contain the same ingredient as things like Yakult and Activia. Basically the acidophilis helps maintain healthy balanced flora in your body. I also eat live yoghurt which has the same effect, obviously a low sugar live yoghurt would be more suitable for you. You can also apply live yoghurt topically with a panty liner to redress the bacteria balance, the cold yoghurt can be quite soothing, sounds icky though sorry.

Hope this helps x

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In the year or so before I was diagnosed with diabetes (t1, LADA), I had a lot of thrush, every person who came out here (to France) was asked to bring diflucan tablets and caneston cream... They're not sold here, all the pharmacist could give me was a cream for athletes foot!,.
The tablets worked for a while, but not very long, in retrospect I know my glucose levels were high.
Since diagnosis and using insulin (and very good blood glucose levels) I have had no more thush.

As to periods, I thought that the menopause had arrived since I had had very erratic periods and none at all for 4 months before diagnosis. I had a period whilst still in hospital after diagnosis ie as soon as my BG levels were normalised. They then continued regularly for another 2 years. I think that the lack of periods was to do with the lack of glucose to the cells and semi starvation than my age.

missy1979

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Wow you guys have had a rough time with it :shock:
I have had this thrush problem now for as long as i can remember and i thought it was just to do with the fact that i drive a lot and have one of those plastic seat covers in my work van (This has now been launched) lol :lol:
Its a shame i haven't got easy access to an ASDA but i think i will just have to buy in bulk when i do.
Im hoping that once i have my smear done in 2 weeks time they can confirm that the changes in my cycle are just due to the diabetes and not some other problem. :?

Eurydice333

Dislikes
my complete lack of motivation about anything.
I've found that taking garlic tablets can help with the thrush and yoghurt for soothing/eating and of course making sure i'm not eating a load of rubbish :) I really don't like the smell of the creams and they don't help eliminate the problem imo >.<

Good Luck ^_^

missy1979

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Oooh i like the sound of that. The benifits from the garlic tablets would be more than just control of the thrush 8)
Thank you
Its just a shame im Lactose intolerant or i would try the yoghurt remedy it would certiainly be cheaper.
I cant thank you guys so much for the info.
You have all been briliant and have made the newly diagnosed T1 feel very welcome here
:D :wink: :p

Eurydice333

Dislikes
my complete lack of motivation about anything.
Just to let you know, when i had a serious case of thrush i took 4 garlic capsules at intervals in a day then decreased them after that when it had gone, that is if you were planning on trying them. I also checked with my doctor and he said it's fine for me to take them and i buy them from holland and barrett.

Also diflucan is sold as flucanazole at the chemist and costs about 3 quid.

^_^