Could Baked Beans be the answer?

duranie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Winter!
I only take half my usual insulin dose per/carbs for baked beans as they are slow release. I also have autonimic neuropathy - big big pain in the backside that one is, unfortunately can't reverse my type 1 :(

Fred J M

Dislikes
I am NOT a "diabetic" - I am a person who suffers from diabetes - And I will not allow myself to be controlled by those who want me to conform to THEIR standards and who use scaremongering and bullying to achieve this... There are many medical professionals who are wonderful, but alas, many who suffer from personality disorders which atract them to medicine because it gives them power.
peteratsrinagar said:
Some of you are missing the point of the question that I posted. I am not talking about the brand of B/beans, proprietary or not, thickened sauce or not, reduced sugar or not, plain tinned in salted water or dried . I notice, that in my case, after eating beans my glucose level falls significantly, even after eating more food than usual. Is there something in the bean that causes this to happen like other foods that are proven to reduce cholesterol :wink:

I believe that all legumes (beans, lentils etc) have the effect of slowing down absorbtion through the gut, and they also require a lot of energy to digest - this MAY be the reason why they work at lowering blood sugar.. A bit like hard boiled eggs - one actually loses energy (or at best/worst case - depending on whether one is trying to lose or gain energy, only contribute a tiny amount) because it requires a lot of energy to digest hard boiled egg.

Alas, if one is sociable, and one has a tendency to fart after eating either eggs or beans, it can somewhat restrict ones use of these foods for BS control! :roll:

>> Just did a search for anything possibly relevant <<

This article may be of interest:

http://www.lodgirl.com/acjn/43-1-25.full.pdf

There are many other articles related to legumes and their effect on carbohydrate and insulin action, but this was the one I could easily find which one does not have to pay for!

I do hate the fact that almost every "scholarly" article, even on important issues where exposure could only advance science and benefit sufferers, carry astronomical price tages (£32 for a single .pdf download, for example !)

Fred.

Dislikes
lying, cheating, thieving mp's. Mobile phones, supermarket culture and having corrupt sport rammed down my throat on a daily basis!
Thanks to all of you who have posted on this topic. I knew about hard-boiled eggs, which make the gut work harder by causing a sort of tummy aerobics, but none of the clinics that I have been too ever mentioned the beneficial side of Baked Beans :crazy:

Unbeliever

catherinecherub said:
Beans come under the heading of resistant starches.
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nutrit ... starch.htm
They are digested slowly and do not cause a sharp rise in blood glucose levels.

haks fr that lik very interesting. I have read some of this before but had never seen the suggestion that cold potatoes and rice also had a certai amont of resistant strch.

Not that I intend eating either but I suppose a small amount in salds might not be as bad for bg as
i the recently cooked state?

luckynumber8

peteratsrinagar said:
I have moved into the next phase of diabetes. It is called autonomic diabetic neuropathy. I think I know my fate! I have also reached the good state of "Reversed Diabetes". This has been acheived by diet alone, living on just 600 calories a day, as the normal medication of insulin and tablets was causing complications. On my current diet my fasting readings at 06:00 hrs is always 5.8 :crazy:
The other day I did more manual work than usual, so felt very hungry. I ate a whole 15oz can of C&B baked beans, having first washed half of the sauce off. An extra 300 calories when compared to my normal intake. In the morning my reading was 5.1 How strange....more food...lower reading!
I waited a few days, readings having returned to 5.9 and then ate more drained baked beans. Same thing, reading at 5.1 Is there something apart from fibre in the humble bean? :clap:

Hi i'm new to this site. i have had type 1 diabetes for about 12 years with quite bad control. Could you tell me what the symptoms of autonomic diabetic neuropathy? Much appreciated.

sip

peteratsrinagar said:
Some of you are missing the point of the question that I posted. I am not talking about the brand of B/beans, proprietary or not, thickened sauce or not, reduced sugar or not, plain tinned in salted water or dried . I notice, that in my case, after eating beans my glucose level falls significantly, even after eating more food than usual. Is there something in the bean that causes this to happen like other foods that are proven to reduce cholesterol :wink:

Look up "glycemic index", a term which is increasingly being linked to diabetes control. Most information appears in three columns, low GI, Medium GI and High GI -- beans usually fall into the low GI category. Some sites will also give numerical (GI) values for different foods.

A good place to start would be:

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1862.aspx?c ... goryid=164

Eating tons of beans isn't going to make you give up your meds, but you may well suffocate from the effects of producing your own gases.

The other thing to read about is corn, a very versatile crop -- gives you ethanol and also sugars, which are used to enhance flavours of low-fat foods -- read this article (and weep):

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012 ... ing-us-fat

I do not eat baked beans as I am put off by the sauce the beans have to swim in

Lil'Edgy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm sorry to hear about your diabetic neuropathy. Was your blood sugars high for too long before the 600 calorie diet? I rinse off all the sauce and even boil it for a few minutes and rinse again and surprisingly there's still a lot of flavor and hopefully only a small amount of sugar that becomes part of the beans during canning. Keeping 1/2 the sauce would scare me personally. But that's just me.

JimH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried Cannellini beans (white kidney beans). They taste just as good as baked beans (IMHO), saves having to wash off the sugar laden sauce and apparently have many health benefits - example reference: https://draxe.com/cannellini-beans/
Sorry can't comment on how they affect blood glucose as I don't test.

Lil'Edgy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Grazer,
The only reason I used C&B b/beans is because there was a BOGOF offer on them! I experimented again yesterdday with no sauce at all and as expected had lower reading of 3.9 but still more food than normal. What I am asking is, is there something in the bean itself? :roll:

Other than the fiber in beans causing the body to be delayed and inhibited from extracting the glucose out of it, there is phytic acid itself which has amazing properties. Don't believe the nonsense about the "anti-nutrient". Phytic acid is great for you and is also abundant in whole grain foods...hulled barley, hard red winter wheat and oat groats. The Phytates is an amylase inhibitor that further reduces the ability to break down starch other starches you're eating with the beans and makes the glucose even less available. Cool stuff indeed.