Excited/Nervous

LauraR88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you @Medusa41
I'm getting the Medtronic 640g I swore I wouldn't ever get the pump as I hated the thought of having something attached to me constantly, or having something sitting under my skin, which is silly because I absolutely detest needles yet I inject myself up to 5 times a day for the last 10 years, so I suppose it's the thought of change

Reactions: paulpapa and Juicyj

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
exciting times @LauraR88 !! :)
it is a bit scary at first ( because of the changing) but you will look back in a few weeks and like the new freedom pumping gives you !!
all the best !!

do keep us all posted on how you get on !

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can't sleep
Hi @LauraR88 , I'm really pleased and excited for you! Hope you had a good night's sleep in the end.

I had more sleepless nights in the run-up to getting my pump than I had in the run-up to my wedding the year before! It was that crazy big a deal!

Good luck today! Hard work to begin with but if I'm anything to go by you'll never look back!

:happy::happy::happy:

Reactions: himtoo

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Good luck @LauraR88 - exciting times ahead :)

Julian_Hands

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi @laura88,
I know what your going through as I'm in the same boat as you, 1:30pm I'm in the hospital to get my Insight Pump to.
Happy days, can't wait.
Let the hard work begin :)

D

Deleted Account

I know exactly how you feel. I have been pumping for just over a year although, like you, I had said I don't want to be permanently attached to something.
What helped for me was the knowledge that I could change my mind if I didn't get on with the pump. At the start, there were times when I was very tempted to throw it across the room: I calmed myself down by just throwing it on the bed. But over the last year, I have become convinced the set changing and bulge in my clothing are worth it for the better control.
Be open and ready to learn.

Reactions: Snapsy and himtoo

Djdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hey im in the same boat as the OP just wondering what do you guys with tubed pumps do at night? im worried il end up strangling myself haha is there a certain way you guys deal with this? also OP hope it goes well for you and you get a bit more sleep :)

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
hey im in the same boat as the OP just wondering what do you guys with tubed pumps do at night? im worried il end up strangling myself haha is there a certain way you guys deal with this? also OP hope it goes well for you and you get a bit more sleep :)

Absolutely not problems with the tubing and sleep - I use a pump belt which keeps the tubing snug while I sleep - you can also clip to your PJ bottoms, I thought it would be an issue with sleep but can honestly say in about 15 months it's only woken me up once ;)

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use a pump belt which keeps the tubing snug while I sleep
Hi @Juicyj , where do you think is the best place to get pump accessories like belts from? I'm starting a pump trial in a few weeks so want to get prepared :)

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
hope its going well so far and well done

LauraR88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks everyone I love coming on here as the support you get is worth its weight in gold!

So today went well, quite a bit of info to take in but not too bad. The next week is being hooked up to the pump using saline just to see how we get on. I have to say, I struggle from anxiety sometimes and it can be down to silly things like a top I put on that can trigger this, today when I put in the set and hooked my pump up was one of these triggers! I was gutted!! Because my way of normally dealing with the triggers are removing them (for obvious reasons this wasn't something I could do with the pump) HOWEVER, I clipped it to my bra and actually forgot it was even there. I was quite surprised. I even had a nap this afternoon and it didn't bother me one bit!

I look forward to actually having it set up with insulin next week so that I don't have to deal with these bloody injections thanks again everyone for your support x

LauraR88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @laura88,
I know what your going through as I'm in the same boat as you, 1:30pm I'm in the hospital to get my Insight Pump to.
Happy days, can't wait.
Let the hard work begin :)

I hope your session went well today let me know how you got on and what you think of the pump

D

Deleted Account

Hi @Juicyj , where do you think is the best place to get pump accessories like belts from? I'm starting a pump trial in a few weeks so want to get prepared :)
There is a lot of choice on eBay. However, I use one from Hid-In (http://www.hid-in.com/). I find these discrete and comfortable as well as reasonably easy to get in and out of.
Depending on what I am wearing, I may put it round my waist, under my bra or wrap it round my thigh (garter fashion). I do the latter at night.

benry

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've got some press studs stitched into my PJ pant pockets, so that the pump doesn't fall out when I'm asleep. I don't even notice it's there now. I hope it goes well!

Reactions: Julian_Hands