Waitrose coffee shop madness

PansyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Could you ask then to get rid of the stupid old fashioned, non electronic scales in the fruit and vegetable department which no one uses and which I constantly am bumping my head on when I bend to pick up some produce, forgetting they're there. I have complained to Customer Services repeatedly but in vain. They might just listen to you Donnelly!

Reactions: donnellysdogs

PansyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I think your endo needs to do a bit more research as fat doesn't make you fat or clog the arteries. It's the liver that's the main producer and controller of cholesterol and the carbs have a large part to play in this.
Excuse me - he'a a top Endocrinologist who didn't say it would make me fat or clog up my arteries. There may be another reason and i will ask him when I see him at the end of April.

He's very aware of the LCHF diet and he also advocates lowering carbohydrates to lower blood sugar. Everyone knows it's the liver that produces about 80-.90 percent cholesterol and little comes from food intake. Even then there's strong opinion that high cholesterol does not lead to strokes, heart disease and that it's actually good for the body.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have just been on official Diabetes UK site and they advocate low fat yogs as a treat, do they not know it has more sugar than high fat?!

I thought that myth had been thoroughly busted a long time ago by reading the nutrition values?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought that myth had been thoroughly busted a long time ago by reading the nutrition values?
ok so -

Waitrose full fat natural strained greek style youghurt.. carbs 3.7g of which sugar 3.7g per 100g
Waitrose fat free natural greek strained yoghurt carbs 5.5g of which sugars 5.5g per 100g

so fat free has more carbs and sugar than full fat...indeed it has been thoroughly busted.

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Could you ask then to get rid of the stupid old fashioned, non electronic scales in the fruit and vegetable department which no one uses and which I constantly am bumping my head on when I bend to pick up some produce, forgetting they're there. I have complained to Customer Services repeatedly but in vain. They might just listen to you Donnelly!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! if you weigh prepacked veg some can vary about 100g for the same price!!

Reactions: donnellysdogs

PansyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! if you weigh prepacked veg some can vary about 100g for the same price!!
Nooo - You misunderstood! I suggested they replaced these dangerous old fashioned ones with electronic desktop ones like in Waitrose! Better in Europe, yes Europe ....., , each product gas a number, You put the product on the electronic scales and press the key that has the number that corresponds to that product. Voila!.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I did wander in today and point out that there is not one single thing on the Waitrose cafe menu that is actually suitable to eat. I appreciate entirely that its probably a waste of breath, but I figure if no -one m.ementions it nothing will ever change !

Turned our the manager has a girlfriend allergic to eggs and she moans a lot too:)

Reactions: zand

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
I work in a high street , well known food outlet and all our hot drinks are made with semi skimmed milk . If you want more choice smaller coffee shops are usually more accommodating . There is so much legislation now involving opened fresh products and how they are kept - it's a nightmare .

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Well I did wander in today and point out that there is not one single thing on the Waitrose cafe menu that is actually suitable to eat. I appreciate entirely that its probably a waste of breath, but I figure if no -one m.ementions it nothing will ever change !

Turned our the manager has a girlfriend allergic to eggs and she moans a lot too:)
Not one single thing ? They have lovely salads ? What do you mean ?

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aaaah, but are you all forgetting that in Waitrose cafe you can still get coffee for nothing if you buy something else or 20p if its just the coffee?

I always have to grab a coffee in Waitrose - they have my loyalty!!

Their coffee in the cafes do taste better for being free, no matter whether its milk or cream!

In my opinion their complimentary coffee is far superior to any Starbucks or Costa coffee and it’s become part of my daily routine when I’m at home, to stroll round to my local Waitrose, pick up a few items and a complimentary black coffee using my loyalty card.

I can’t abide eating and drinking on the hoof, so walk home with it, add a dash of cream from my fridge (because their machines only use semi-skimmed milk) and have it in the comfort of my armchair at home, or if the sun is shining, in the garden.

What I really dislike is the way customers do their shopping while slurping from their takeout cups, dripping coffee over the produce.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My hubby gets his free coffee after shopping for me and brings it home to add the cream.

They sell coffee beans in their one range that are meant to be one of the least processed, natural bean.. and we always buy this bean for our machine at home for our ritualustic one cream coffee and crossword each day.

I got to admit I do love going to their cafes for the coffee which does to me far exceed the costas...

PansyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Something to bear in mind - coffee in European cafes and bars tend not to be served with milk or cream. You have to ask. I doubt they would serve it with cream. Coffee with cream is served at private dinner parties mainly sometimes.

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I doubt they would serve it with cream. Coffee with cream is served at private dinner parties mainly sometimes.

Not at all. I always ask for a coffee with pouring cream in Starbucks and Costa and in most other coffee shops. They usually keep very large 4 - 6 litre jugs of cream in their fridges. The only place I've never been able to have pouring cream is in John Lewis coffee shops, when they say yes to my order for coffee with cream and bung a couple of UHT sealed pots on the tray or saucer! I've never had a problem in restaurants.

The more we ask for it, the quicker they'll realise there is a demand for it.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is a cup of coffee with milk and about 2 grams of carbs such a big deal?

pugster75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Is it me? I'm really confused. I was diagnosed in October last year and was told to go with the low fat options and reduced sugars all the way. I'm having so many different things told to me. Been on a diabetic education program and told to follow a balanced diet. No food is off limits, carry on eating carbs, now everywhere I go, I seem to be told and reading the opposite, what do other people follow. I'm confused. Sorry to anyone if this sounds daft!