Get Your Oatmeal!!

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diabetes health really!
Type 2 Diabetes: Get Your Oatmeal On!

There’s a whole grain craze going on in America and everywhere you look, some company is advertising the fact that their product is made from whole grain. Breads, pasta, pancakes, crackers, mustard, it’s everywhere! For diabetics, whole grain foods can offer our body nutrients, fiber, vitamins, and minerals that are beneficial to our health.

I typically start my day with a cup of oatmeal. This insures that I get a healthy dose of fiber. Oatmeal is just one form of whole grain foods but it has been shown that three grams of soluble fiber from oatmeal can reduce the risk of heart disease. Heart disease is a real concern for diabetics as diabetics are said to be at a higher risk for heart attack and stroke.

Oatmeal also packs 16% fiber per serving which is great because fiber helps control blood sugar. I read a Mercola® article online which stated that people who eat more than 26 grams of fiber a day have an 18 percent lower chance of developing Type II diabetes. But what if you’re already a diabetic? Well, 26 grams of fiber can go a long way in helping reverse diabetes.

For a healthier serving of oatmeal, I sometimes add blueberries, Truvia®, and a tablespoon of coconut oil to give me added health benefits. If you want to help your body, get your oatmeal on!

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I gave up whole oatmeal porridge after seeing what it did to my BG. I recently tried adding just a small amount of raw whole oats to my breakfast nut mix and it gave me extreme GI symptoms (bloating and reflux). Gave up and threw it out. Nothing works for everybody.

Reactions: dbr10

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I stopped eating porridge after discovering it spiked my blood sugar from 6 before to over 10 two hours after eating it. I suspect many type 2 diabetics should not be eating it.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I get away with 35 grams of water made porridge, as an occasional substitute to Greek yogurt. Just before diagnosis I was eating circa 6,7 or 8 times this amount made with milk (no sugar, but now know how much was in the carbs).

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Porridge shoots me sky high I'm afraid. Tried it with water, which was slightly better, but still not ok. Same with rolled oats and whole groats. Used to love it too. :(

Always envious to hear about people who can eat it.

Keep meaning to try a low carb version with linseed and ground almonds, but what puts me off is that it isn't really going to be porridge. Lol.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
would love to see your blood glucose readings after eating at 10 minute intervals for 2-3 hours @Pura Vida I would highly suspect you would react badly as many do. Also eating loads of things 'wholegrain' are causing things like coeliac too IMO we eat far too much of that and not enough fruit/veg/natural meat.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This sounds like an ad for the Oatmeal industry and for a lot of us would spell blood glucose disaster...
Why would you post it in the low carb forum.. has your account been hacked by the oatmeal police?

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
At the weekends I always have porridge made with oats and water. Just a small portion and served with defrosted frozen berries and the juice and it is delicious also doesn't spike my BS thank goodness. It's even better as my husband makes it at weekends!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I think enormous bowls of cholesterol reducing porridge, oatmeal based pancakes and crumbles really contributed to my very high blood glucose when I was diagnosed. Eaten, of course, as part of the Eatwell recommendations.

I know they have to market it somehow but there should be a health warning on it somewhere that the diabetic body processes it just like any other carb rather than labelling it as 'healthy'.

Reactions: dbr10 and Ultramum

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm lucky, I can eat porridge too, on my non fasting days, I make it with water and frozen add blueberries and raspberries, they soon thaw in the warm mixture, it doesn't cause me to spike and keeps hunger at bay until lunchtime x

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm in the fence for this one... Porridge spikes my bs...

But

Nairns oatcakes don't and they have been a brilliant treat

Oat flour has been a godsend but only use a couple of teaspoons.

Think you just have to test.....

Reactions: Ultramum

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
I'm in the fence for this one... Porridge spikes my bs...

But

Nairns oatcakes don't and they have been a brilliant treat

Oat flour has been a godsend but only use a couple of teaspoons.

Think you just have to test.....
I like the Nairns oatcakes as a nibble when I have the munchies - no more than 2 though at a time (topped with full fat cream cheese - yum!)

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
would love to see your blood glucose readings after eating at 10 minute intervals for 2-3 hours @Pura Vida I would highly suspect you would react badly as many do. Also eating loads of things 'wholegrain' are causing things like coeliac too IMO we eat far too much of that and not enough fruit/veg/natural meat.
It look like my op post. Misunderstood
I just couldn't understand why this article would be posted in a Diabetic magazine.
I gave up eating oat 3 years ago.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It look like my op post. Misunderstood
I just couldn't understand why this article would be posted in a Diabetic magazine.
I gave up eating oat 3 years ago.
Apologies Pura, it looks very much like you are saying these things which is why I couldn't understand!

Lord Midas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots. Morons. Flat Earthers. Religious fanatics. Trump. Bigots. Misogynists. And other assorted bad types.
This ain't right. Eating 26g of fibre is one thing, but in a recommended 40g portion or oatmeal (i used to have 30g) there is 3.6g of fibre. You'd have to eat approx 300g of oatmeal to get that 26g. Which would equate to 180g of carbs.

And thus this (and literally all breakfast cereal) sure don't belong in the Low Carb forum.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
You get the same kind of advice from health care professionals. I was encouraged to eat oatmeal instead of bacon and eggs for breakfast by my diabetes nurse. I declined. I do quite well without any fibre intake or carbs.