Type 1 Using libre for type 1 diabetes

Buzz2102

Hiah, after two close calls in school our dsn has suggested we trial the libre. We will also be doing finger prick tests at meal times as we carb count. I was just wondering, do any of you only use the libre? Don't misunderstand, we are still very new to this and will also do finger prick tests at mealtimes, just wondering if when experienced you don't need to

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Buzz2102 , personally I would always finger prick as well for calculating a dose, and also if not feeling well (hypo/hyper). It is mostly fairly accurate, but obviously for calculating a dose, especially in a child for whom the doses will be smaller, you really want to be sure. For example, if I ended up taking 16 units instead of 15, it probably won't be a big deal. But if as a child, on a much smaller dose, you end up taking 2 units instead of 1, the result is going to be a bad hypo. So personally, I would say experience is irrelevant, you really still need to finger prick, particularly when the margin of error would be so significant.

Hope that helps :)

Reactions: azure and col101

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The libre isn't approved to make dosing decisions off, so you would have to finger prick to check your insulin dose was right.

Reactions: azure and Buzz2102

bethgriff

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
ac57f5a7a5fc924dda108053ef9c8a73.jpg

This is my second sensor... I think they're naff! The difference here is the difference between treating a hypo and correction dose for hyper!

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
People do work from just the Libre for all decisions, but you should only do this after you are experienced and understand how it behaves and when to trust it or check with a BG test. As in-life, if on doubt get a second opinion and do a BG test.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
agree with other posters ---------- get a reading from a BG meter for decisions involving taking insulin or eating carbs .........

Reactions: Buzz2102

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1

This is my second sensor... I think they're naff! The difference here is the difference between treating a hypo and correction dose for hyper!

You've not explained the circumstances in which you took that pic at all, so it's impossible to attach any weight to your view that it's naff.

There are recognised reasons why libre and meter can be way out.

Describing it as naff after 2 sensors doesn't cut it, speaks more of inexperience with a complex and useful new toy.

Sure, it sometimes just plain doesn't work for some people, but other factors might be:

The time shown on your libre is a few minutes before time shown on your meter. Can you say whether or not you'd had carbs 10 mins before the meter reading? If you did, the 11 is going to show on the meter way before it shows on the libre.

Did you try a libre reading 10 mins after the meter reading? If you didn't, do you understand why not doing so might make a difference?

You said it was your second sensor so you are relatively inexperienced with this stuff. Did you insert 12 to 24 hours before start-up? Did you activate while stable? If you didn't, when was the reading taken in relation to start-up? If it was taken shortly after start-up without pre-inserting, are you aware that the first 24 hours are likely to read low because natural repair mechanisms chew up glucose?

Sorry if some of those questions sound a bit cryptic or, indeed, rude, but, to be honest, libre takes a bit of figuring out, so writing it off as naff after two sensors is a bit premature.

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Always get a second opinion even with BG testing - meters do disagree. Strips disagree.

The Libre is great because it gives multiple "opinions", readings on the graph are calculated from 15 readings taken every minute. Until you really become familiar with it and can see the patterns and trends and understand them, I agree, check BG but a single BG test is just that - it can be inaccurate.

Far too many people seem to criticise Libre readings when it is lack of understanding.

Reactions: steve_p6

linda_b

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I've had my Libre for two months now, I love it but it's an expensive thing to maintain even with me working full time. I have read reports of people having dodgy sensors but touch wood I haven't had one yet. I do go solely of the Libre reading EXCEPT when the Libre reads anything below 4 or over 15 I'll finger prick . Occasionally I'll do the odd finger prick just to see if it tallies. I definitely recommended trailing it if it's been offered. Good luck!

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I think Scott-c may have come across as a bit 'sharp' (and I'm sure it wasn't intended) but he has made some valid points! also did you wash your hands before the blood test?

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would rather try and get a trial of dexcom as that give you alarms (you talk of close calls?)

Reactions: azure

bethgriff

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
You've not explained the circumstances in which you took that pic at all, so it's impossible to attach any weight to your view that it's naff.

There are recognised reasons why libre and meter can be way out.

Describing it as naff after 2 sensors doesn't cut it, speaks more of inexperience with a complex and useful new toy.

Sure, it sometimes just plain doesn't work for some people, but other factors might be:

The time shown on your libre is a few minutes before time shown on your meter. Can you say whether or not you'd had carbs 10 mins before the meter reading? If you did, the 11 is going to show on the meter way before it shows on the libre.

Did you try a libre reading 10 mins after the meter reading? If you didn't, do you understand why not doing so might make a difference?

You said it was your second sensor so you are relatively inexperienced with this stuff. Did you insert 12 to 24 hours before start-up? Did you activate while stable? If you didn't, when was the reading taken in relation to start-up? If it was taken shortly after start-up without pre-inserting, are you aware that the first 24 hours are likely to read low because natural repair mechanisms chew up glucose?

Sorry if some of those questions sound a bit cryptic or, indeed, rude, but, to be honest, libre takes a bit of figuring out, so writing it off as naff after two sensors is a bit premature.

So after the first sensor I'd read up and inserted this one 24h before I had planned to use it..

yes I washed my hand, I always do after getting caught out about 7 years and got a hi reading after baking (but not eating) a cake... I thought t was osmosis or something

This picture is 3 days after inserting, nearly 48h after activating

it was at night about 5 hours after my evening meal.

No I admit not quite 10 mins apart here...and given that I hadn't eaten I doubt my glucose would have fluctuated my 7mmol and it hasn't made any difference when I have done (they've never matched once)

And also I have qc'd my glucose machine although you didn't ask that

I was discussing and reviewing with my consultant today (uploaded my pump, glucose machine and libre on to diasend) and he was saying that they're better for people on MDI. It's consistently different from my finger readings which is clearer to see on my diasend. I acknowledge this was an extreme example but the OP needs to be aware that this can be an issue if relying on it to boils.

My consultant will be getting me a trial or the dexcom G4 which he said was "infinitely better"

I was hoping the libre would mean less finger stabbing for me so after investing in it I think it's reasonable for me to be disappointed in that it has been of no value to me personally.

I understand that it works great for some people, but given that this was a query about using it INSTEAD of finger pricks I was making the point that it can be quite unsafe to do this, especially if the person using it will also be "inexperienced"with it.

Everyone has differing opinions and I have the right to my opinion that it's not good as much as you do to think it's the

Reactions: azure and slip

joanne75

Im starting a trial on the Libre next week hoping it works for me but just out of interest what is the Dexcom?? I am currently using a pen but hoping to get a pump within a year is the Dexcom only for pump users? Thanks

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im starting a trial on the Libre next week hoping it works for me but just out of interest what is the Dexcom?? I am currently using a pen but hoping to get a pump within a year is the Dexcom only for pump users? Thanks

A dexcom is a CGM (coninuous glucose monitor).
Anyone can use a dexcom. You don't need a pump

joanne75

A dexcom is a CGM (coninuous glucose monitor).
Anyone can use a dexcom. You don't need a pump
Thank you, are they cheaper then the Libre do you know? do you know how I can find out the difference between the two whether one is better then the other? :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I was discussing and reviewing with my consultant today (uploaded my pump, glucose machine and libre on to diasend) and he was saying that they're better for people on MDI. It's consistently different from my finger readings which is clearer to see on my diasend. I acknowledge this was an extreme example but the OP needs to be aware that this can be an issue if relying on it to boils.

My consultant will be getting me a trial or the dexcom G4 which he said was "infinitely better"
Oh dear. Your consultant is a sade case of misinformation. I really don't get this type of point of view.

Libre is a continuous recorder that is read with a scanner when you stroke it, with a MARD of 11.4% (MARD=Average Deviation)
Dexcom is a continuous glucose monitor with a MARD of 9% (if you use G5) or 11% (if you use G4).

Libre stores up to 8 hours of data on the sensor, which can be handy when doing some forms of exercise. Dexcom transmits every five minutes to a receiver (either a device, on a phone or the Animas Vibe pump) and if that goes out of range, you get no data for that period.

Libre is just as good for pump users as it is for MDI, and gives you exactly the same information. The only real difference is that Dexcom has alarms because it is transmitting realtime.

It sounds as though you have had a few issues with the Libre sensors. It is always possible that they just don't work for you (some CGM/CGR systems just don't work for some people). You might find you have similar issues with Dexcom. You won't know until you give it a trial.

Richram

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Not type 1 but I like the libra for the trends and what happens to my CBG.

Advice was always double check

I do ah hoc finger testing as my control and so Far so good