Target bg level for diabetic person

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
http://www.diabetes.org/living-with...cose-control/checking-your-blood-glucose.html
http://www.diabetesindia.com/diabetes/target.htm

Before a meal (preprandial plasma glucose): 80–130 mg/dl 1-2 hours after beginning of the meal (Postprandial plasma glucose)*: Less than 180 mg/dl

do you think, is it correct or wrong target range ?
In the UK, we typically follow the guidelines set by NICE which you can see in the first table on the below link:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

You can convert them to mg/dl with this converter too:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-sugar-converter.html

The figures you've provided are not that different to the UK guidelines, and to be perfectly honest, if you're managing those figures often enough to give you a decent HbA1c - then I wouldn't worry:)

Chandradev819

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some time, after having dinner, it comes in 140 to 180 i.e. 7.8 to 8.9 for me and again after 2 hr it will come to normal range. will this range damage the body organs ?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some time, after having dinner, it comes in 140 to 180 i.e. 7.8 to 8.9 for me and again after 2 hr it will come to normal range. will this range damage the body organs ?
That's an impossible question to answer. There is no definitive answer that applies to everyone.

Think of it this way: how many cigarettes do you need to smoke to get lung cancer? Some people smoke their entire lives and live to be 100 while other people have gotten lung cancer and never smoked a day in their lives.

I target the lowest possible blood sugar levels to a point that it does not inhibit my quality of life. For me, that equates to an a1c of about 5.5%. That doesn't exempt me from diabetes complications, but it certainly puts me in an excellent position to avoid them.

Remember that there are people who have lived with type 1 diabetes for 50+ years and some of them have avoided life-altering complications even after living through the days before glucometers, a1c tests, and artificial insulin even existed. Diabetes technology has come a very long way, especially within the last 10 years. That makes it much easier to manage the disease, but at the same time we should be mindful of not becoming obsessive when leveraging that technology.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No-one can say for sure...

The good news is that damage from hyperglycemia happens over a prolonged period. So small spikes such as post-prandial ones shouldn't pose that big a risk on the grand scheme of things.

There are T1 diabetics on the forum who have lived with the condition for more than 50 years (some without complications). I can guarantee that they haven't always been <9mmol/l within 90mins-120mins of eating every time;)

The best advice I can give to you, is to relax and do your best. Keep your BG's in range as much as possible and your HbA1c as low as possible without frequent hypos. If you stress and worry excessively, that will do more damage to your body than any slightly elevated post-prandial BG reading ever will.

Chandradev819

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all for your reply. I am felling more relax now. My HbA1c was 5.9 before 2 month. Last week my doctor was also telling same thing. She was telling Hypoglycemia (Low bg) damage the brain cell very quickly as compare to hyperglycemia(high bg).

Last edited:

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all for your reply. I am felling more relax now. Last week my doctor was also telling same thing. She was telling Hypoglycemia (Low bg) damage the brain cell very quickly as compare to hyperglycemia(high bg).
Without sounding too depressing... hypoglycemia will kill you a lot quicker than hyperglycemia. Each have their dangers, but in every case, it's always better to be a little high than too low.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all for your reply. I am felling more relax now. My HbA1c was 5.9 before 2 month. Last week my doctor was also telling same thing. She was telling Hypoglycemia (Low bg) damage the brain cell very quickly as compare to hyperglycemia(high bg).
Hypoglycemia doesn't damage brain cells, and that's a proven fact. Whomever told you that is full of it. Sure, injury can result from becoming unstable, seizure, etc. But it doesn't permanently damage the brain. An A1C of 5.9 is excellent. The lower you go the more lows you have of course. In Type 2 diabetics it's been shown that as long as your A1C is less then 8 you're doing fine, pushing it lower doesn't lead to fewer long term complications and requires more drugs. But that may not apply to we Type 1's as our complications tend to be microvascular vs macrovascular in Type 2's.