Albumin +ve in urine [emoji29]

doc_908

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got albumin +ve in my urine examination and now I'm worried ? Someone tell me what is it I know nephropathy begins but I'm worried

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got albumin +ve in my urine examination and now I'm worried ? Someone tell me what is it I know nephropathy begins but I'm worried
I think that your ACR is inconclusive by itself in diagnosing kidney disease or impairment. Do you know the last result of your eGFR? Typically eGFR and ACR are tested together and then used in conjunction to asses the state of your kidneys.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome.

Did you get the actual numbers from your doctor?

The American links which you provided are with reference to a 24hr Albium urine test and I don't think these are common under routine NHS diabetes testing.

Ideally, in the UK, a single urine sample should yield <1mg/mmol (Albium Creatinine ratio) when tested. That would be a marker of healthy kidneys. The accepted range, regarding ACR, is 0mg/mmol<ACR<2.5mg/mmol.

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Looking at my urine tests, the only standard given is for the ACR (albumin/creatinine ratio), which states 0 to 2.3. There are no standards shown for albumin or creatinine individually.

Reactions: doc_908

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If they think if there is a potential problem, they run another test - which is what happened to me last summer.

The results came back at something like 19, and Doc said that anything under 30 was 'no cause for concern'.

Of course, I then spent a while ransacking Google for more info, and I can't really say things became much clearer. However I am pretty sure that protein in urine is only a concern if it gets too high - which is why the actual numbers are so important.

doc_908

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah now I'm going to have 24 hr urine examination test .... but I'm confused and worried I don't know why kidney nephropathy start ... even I have normal levels most of times and my HbiAc is also normal but still this issue ..

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know why kidney nephropathy start
Do you have confirmed nephropathy?

It's best that the doctors carry out these tests, the sooner they understand what's happening - the sooner they can implement means to protect your kidney function.

There are many forum members here who have kidney impairment, some have severe impairment and still live normal lives. Try not to get yourself too worked up, especially before you know the bigger picture.

doc_908

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you have confirmed nephropathy?

It's best that the doctors carry out these tests, the sooner they understand what's happening - the sooner they can implement means to protect your kidney function.

There are many forum members here who have kidney impairment, some have severe impairment and still live normal lives. Try not to get yourself too worked up, especially before you know the bigger picture.
Thanks ... and I'm hoping for best let's see ..