I think I might have it under control!

AlaskaRon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not Having Pizza!
I was diagnosed on February 19th with diabetes and started meds and testing on February 20th with a daily average of 277 or 11.2

After almost 6 weeks of finding the right foods and some experimenting with my meds I am now at an average of 98 or 4.9!

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Well done!!!! 6 weeks is quick - it took me a few years. :)

Reactions: AlaskaRon

kjc2011

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercising lol
Awwww well done I was diagnosed in April 2011 and I am only just getting my bloods under control. Really pleased for you.

Peter Lamont

I was diagnosed on February 19th with diabetes and started meds and testing on February 20th with a daily average of 277 or 15.3

After almost 6 weeks of finding the right foods and some experimenting with my meds I am now at an average of 98 or 5.4!

Well done! I have been type 1 for over 3 years and I am no where near constant with my figures. I can't find anything that fills me up, gives me my nutrition levels and tastes good! Outcome is constant hunger and high figures. No hope for me then

AlaskaRon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not Having Pizza!
Well done! I have been type 1 for over 3 years and I am no where near constant with my figures. I can't find anything that fills me up, gives me my nutrition levels and tastes good! Outcome is constant hunger and high figures. No hope for me then

I know what you mean, I felt that way at the beginning too. But since I have gotten it under control I have not been saying no to everything I used to eat. I will let myself have bad things once in a while. If I was never to let myself eat something's I love (pizza) I would fail to.

so I have come to the conclusion that my BS a little high once in a while is better than BS being high all of the time.

I do limit things though. when I have a sandwich I make it open face and just use 1 piece of bread but all the meat I want. Pizza I only eat part of what I used to eat to keep the carbs down. I eat a lot of meat which I love. my doctor brings up a vegan diet and I tell him it's not going to happen.

Don't feel guilty if you stray once in a while it's going to happen.

I like to test my BS before I eat and then 2 hours after I eat. this has really been helpful for me to identify what effects my BS the most and what doesn't. I find that certain foods don't seem to have the same effect as other foods so I know I can have more of them. I keep a bowl of nuts by me to snack on.

I think one of the worst thing I can do is to tell myself I can't have something, that will make me want it more. One thing I did when I was dieting was give myself one day a week I could eat anything I wanted, Friday was my cheat day. Anytime during the week I craved something I would tell myself that I can have it Friday and that helped a lot to get me through that time. what was funny was a lot of the time by time Friday came around I no longer wanted that food I was craving, but I always new I could have what ever I wanted on Friday.

I know this wont work for everyone but it works for me. you need to be realistic about what you can and can not do. if you are not realistic you will fail. it's like the vegan thing with my doctor, it's not going to happen :). I know myself and I would fail.

I was also lucky that my doctor let me adjust my meds and I was able to figure out what meds worked and what didn't. for the last 14 days I have averaged 5.2 and for the last 7 days I am at 4.9 and my doctor has cut me back on testing my BS to once a day in the morning. I am taking Metformin 1,000 twice a day and Glyburide 1.25 once a day. I found that the Glyburide made all the difference in keeping my BS in control. it was the combination that worked for me. I try to keep carbs at 100 a day, that seems to work for me, not only in keeping BS down but also being able to eat things that like.

Don't give up, you will get it figured out if you are serious about it. never tell your self you can't have something just have it in moderation.

Hope this helps.