Doctors

crisbev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My doctors at my practice have said I can only use the blood meters they supply and will not give me a prescription for my own meter the one they have given me is so basic I can't hook up to my lap top and gives me very little information can they do this if so why I get free prescription and can't work so I can't afford to buy my own meddles or strips are they allowed to do this they are taking away my choice

plutoniumcard

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the cash-strapped NHS. They negotiate deals with a limited number of suppliers. The meters are of course supplied at very low cost...the companies make their profits on the supply of test strips. Bottom line is as long as they are accurate / reliable, you may have to put up with it and enter data manually into an App. Unless you are willing / able to pay for your own meter and supplies.

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Same problem with me. I ended up funding my own strips as GP will not prescribe strips for my meter. I found that the meter given by my GP was useless. I have gone from 73% out of range to 93 % in range using the contour next one. I am in the fortunate position that I can afford to buy the strips but not as many as I would like!

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Am type2 and had to buy my own meter and strips, which I happily do because of the expense to the NHS.
It's common practice for surgeries to issue the less expensive meters because the test strips are cheaper
In my personal opinion, I think both type 1 and 2,s should be issued with meters and strips free.
At least you get a meter and strips but if you want a meter that does more, could you fund it yourself

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My doctors at my practice have said I can only use the blood meters they supply and will not give me a prescription for my own meter the one they have given me is so basic I can't hook up to my lap top and gives me very little information can they do this if so why I get free prescription and can't work so I can't afford to buy my own meddles or strips are they allowed to do this they are taking away my choice

NICE guidelines NG17 1.6.17 say that when choosing blood glucose monitors for type 1 diabetics doctors should take the needs of the adult with type 1 diabetes into account and make sure the monitor meets current ISO standards - https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng17/chapter/1-Recommendations#blood-glucose-management-2

So, do you have any particular needs that mean the basic glucose monitor isn't good enough? Do you need to download info onto your laptop to enable you to maintain glucose control? Do you need to use a bolus wizard? Those are things that might suggest your GP isn't meeting the NICE guidelines.

Do you have a DSN? It might be worth seeking their support to press for a prescription for a different glucose monitor.

Reactions: Type1Bri

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I use the gp given one to test 3 times a day, early morning, before evening meal and before bed then my codefree when out and about. They prescribe my 90 strips a month so we are both happy(ish) and I know what my numbers are during the day. The one they give is pretty hopeless though and takes ages for the result to show on the display.

SueNSW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Guess I'm pretty lucky here in Australia - as I'm on insulin I was given a basic meter for free (Freestyle Lite) and pay a subsidised rate for strips - $2.60 for 100 (just over £1.50 at the current exchange rate) Normal price is around $16 (around £9.70).

Our health service is supposed to be bleeding money - so hope it carries on like this :)