How do you get on with Lantus?

terencehill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @linda_b

I use to be on Levemir which I'd inject before bed. My consultant noticed it wasn't quite working for me as it doesn't actually last 24 hours like it's meant to. She said that I could either split my insulin (so inject some before bed and then some again at some point in the morning) or I could try a new insulin called Abasaglar. I opted to try the new insulin as I just thought it'd be easier than having to do yet another injection. The Abasaglar has made a difference and my sugars have definitely improved throughout the day. She also mentioned that anyone on Lantus would be moved over to Abasaglar at some point because of the same reason that it wasn't quite lasting 24 hours - although I'm not sure if that's just for folk down here in Cornwall or whether that's a countrywide thing!

Hope this helps :)

Melissa x
dear All

anyone recognised weight gain with abasaglar?
I'm over 40 sugar is ok not to good but could be lower with Hbac.
physically active.
in the last 1.5 years I got +6kg which is a bad trend.
shall be as per my food and activity balanced.
I suspect this to be due Abasaglar-anyone noticed the same?
thanks

MelissaC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@terencehill Hmm, now you say it I have put on about 7 pounds in the past few months and I started using Abasaglar in December. Not sure if that is just a coincidence though...

Mike_T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Linda, been looking through the threads to see if any one else has my problem and there you are. I've been on Lantus and Novorapid for some years now. Previously I was on Levemir and however much I injected it never controlled my background BG.
With Lantus, it was perfect. One injection of 32 units was fine. When I tested my BG at bed time 1 unit of Novorapid brought it down by 2.5. So if it was 12.5, two units would bring it down to 7.5 in the morning and 5.0 if I had 3 units.
Recently I decided to lose a stone in weight coming down from 13stone 7lbs to 12stone 7lbs. Now if it's 12.5 when I go to bed I leave it uncorrected. I wake up quite frequently in the low 3's. Here's the strange thing though. Without taking any food, just a snack in my pocket, I go out for a 4 mile walk (at a marching pace). I do this nearly every morning. When I get back my BG will be in the upper 5's. I then tried reducing the Lantus 2 units at a time all the way down to 22 before bring it back up, in the end back to 32 because the BG during the day kept going up. I'm now trying out splitting the dose, currently 25 at night and 7 in the morning. I'm still not happy, particularly because I don't understand why it's happened in the first place. I accept losing body weight may have some effect on the overall dose of Lantus but not the way it's affecting me now.

Robbieb1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Linda, been looking through the threads to see if any one else has my problem and there you are. I've been on Lantus and Novorapid for some years now. Previously I was on Levemir and however much I injected it never controlled my background BG.
With Lantus, it was perfect. One injection of 32 units was fine. When I tested my BG at bed time 1 unit of Novorapid brought it down by 2.5. So if it was 12.5, two units would bring it down to 7.5 in the morning and 5.0 if I had 3 units.
Recently I decided to lose a stone in weight coming down from 13stone 7lbs to 12stone 7lbs. Now if it's 12.5 when I go to bed I leave it uncorrected. I wake up quite frequently in the low 3's. Here's the strange thing though. Without taking any food, just a snack in my pocket, I go out for a 4 mile walk (at a marching pace). I do this nearly every morning. When I get back my BG will be in the upper 5's. I then tried reducing the Lantus 2 units at a time all the way down to 22 before bring it back up, in the end back to 32 because the BG during the day kept going up. I'm now trying out splitting the dose, currently 25 at night and 7 in the morning. I'm still not happy, particularly because I don't understand why it's happened in the first place. I accept losing body weight may have some effect on the overall dose of Lantus but not the way it's affecting me now.

Hi there I use lantus before bed ,every since I was diagnosed and I think it's quite good for night time sugar levels normally wake up with single figures

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just want to chime in shortly. I've never been on any other basal but Toujeo, but it works perfectly for me. Keeps me level 24 hours around, no funky hiccups, and people generally don't have to split dosage on it as it has an active time of up to 36 hours. If you're struggling really bad with Lantus or even Levemir, I recommend looking into trying Toujeo. Most people find that is greatly reduces night time hypos and improves overall control. Of course I have nothing to compare it to, but all I can say is that my nighttime hypos are virtually nonexistent and I am extremely stable during the day, even when fasting 6+ hours between meals.

Everyone is different, what works for me might not work for you, but I always recommend to switch things up if what you're using right now isn't working for you. Worth a shot in my opinion!

hannahrose

Type of diabetes
Carer
Hi all,

I've been diabetic 25 years this year. For 10 of those I was on the basic two shot a day Humalin. Then when I was 15 I got moved onto Novorapid and Lantus. This worked brilliantly for me for a long time but recently I've developed a bit of a battle with the Lantus for example this morning I woke up and my Libre daily graph showed I'd been somewhere between 2 and 3 throughout the night. When I woke up I was 2.3 (I still function on low blood sugars my hypo awareness isn't great). Automatically I would assume I'm taking too much Lantus in the evening but if I was to fast throughout the day my bloods would rocket without any Novorapid, so I feel it's not working great in the background during the day.
Previously I have tried reducing it by a couple of units but that does the opposite they'll spike during the night then be sky high in the morning.
I don't have great hospital support. I've been waiting four years to see a consultant (finally got an appointment next month) and I never see the same person twice.
How do others get on with Lantus? Stupid question but is it possible I could have 'outgrown' it and would it be worth trying a different basal?

Thanks

hannahrose

Type of diabetes
Carer
Hi there I use lantus before bed ,every since I was diagnosed and I think it's quite good for night time sugar levels normally wake up with single figures
interesting article....i'm sick of husband dealing with lantus..now I hear there are some better ones out there??? I'm definitely going to find out today, and will be taking a lot of notes! Low blood sugars have caused my husband to act like he has dementia or maybe he does..who knows? His endo said to get up at 2am every morning and check his sugar.....I asked her if she was going to call us??? I don't think she likes me...whatever, for I will be looking for a new dr...I have jeans older that she is....we have the experience...I'm sorry we cannot get to support groups anymore, but it's a good thing I am still in contact with people...time to change hospitals too...he sleeps all day long, which is a sign of high bs. yet they say nothing...just if he feels nauseated? YEAH...when I talk to them.

corrie78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone. Newly diagnosed type 1 July last year. Thought I would drop a line to you all say hi.

AnnJohnston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Newly started on insulin in September last year. Basal was 14 units of lantus. It wasn't lasting 24 hours though and I was told that lantus wasn't suitable for splitting so they put me onto Levemir. 7 units morning and night. Seems to be working better than the lantus.

Reactions: Dearbhla

Dearbhla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Lantus is what I was put on when I was diagnosed. I started on it each morning which was then switched to early evening to combat waking up a bit too high (which has worked) but I've just been advised to try splitting mine 50/50 12 hours apart to try and keep it flatter over the whole day.
Yep I do that too.

Dearbhla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I find hormones dull my insulins at different times in the month, and my basal n bolus insulins can crash into each other n cause dips for me every mid morning. But these patterns are consistent for me, I quite like Lantus. Haven't tried levimir.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Lantus is what I was put on when I was diagnosed. I started on it each morning which was then switched to early evening to combat waking up a bit too high (which has worked) but I've just been advised to try splitting mine 50/50 12 hours apart to try and keep it flatter over the whole day.
I do the same. Used to take my Lantus all in one go but my bloods are way more stable now I split it 50/50. (First thing in the morning and just before bed)

Noddy123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel much better using Tojeou. I was having a night hypo every week when I was on lantus. Not had my Hbc taken yet. I was able to be put on it due to the cost coming down. This is terrible when people are suffering with night hypos when there is another product available which helps.

dmoroccco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So today I started out low 49, and corrected went up to 110, about 2 hours later with no insulin besides background lantis from my nightly injection of 38u I go low again, I eat a muffin, test shortly after I'm back up to about 106. About an hour later I'm low again this happened every 2-3 hours today and I haven't taken a shot of humalog till 8pm. I don't understand what caused all this. Anyone have any insight? Please and sorry for it having it in the UK form of mmol. I just like these forums compared to us forums.....Woke up again today that was yesterday. Woke up 48 again and before bed was low. I had plenty of carbs that should have held through the night

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I split my lantus 12/12 and take it with my breakfast/dinner novorapid (approx 730 am & pm).

It's been the one thing that works well for me so far. Without any other BG influencing factors, I'm pretty flat

abigail0432

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had the same problems and kept going low during the night, then was high by the time I woke up and had to correct. I got moved on to tresiba a couple of months ago as I was advised that it would remove the lows during the night. I went from having lantus at night, then to splitting it some in the morning some and night, then back to evenings again and I found no matter what it just didn't work. Can you speak to someone about getting it changed?

dmoroccco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well I woke up low as duck again not sure what to do 3rd morning in a row. Diabetes is bizarre sometimes. I wanna try splitting my 38u into half morning half night but I don't know how to go about that? I normally take my lantis around 10pm of 38units

Mick H

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've read somewhere else on the forum about some people suffering from cramp since starting on Lantus, I get it in my toes from time to time, it's annoying when I'm driving, does anyone else have this problem?

dmoroccco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I get huge cramps that wake me up of that cause me lots of pain in my left leg/thigh. It's my upper leg, I got it check out and I don't think the Docotor took enough time and rushed to say I had a pulled muscle. It's the leg I started injecting my lantis so it could be that

daffadam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've recently been using lantus and take 15 units every day 2pm but I do seem to be suffering more hypos during the evening so I'm not sure if it's doing me much good. Plus Im getting the cramps as well!

Though I didn't realise you could split the lantus so I might try start doing that!