sore fingers

Lynmi

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

What has everyone found to be the best cream/ointment for helping with the hard skin build up on the side of the finger you test on. I try to stick to just 2 fingers but since starting on insulin and having to test so much more, they are getting really sore.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You shouldn't need to stick to two fingers @Lynmi The more fingers you use, the more rest each one has :)

I use every finger, both hands and both sides of the finger, but avoid my thumb. It may also help experimenting with the setting on your finger pricker.

For moisturising, I use any good quality hand cream :)

Reactions: Lorraine1973

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
all fingers should be used to reduce this problem but i have to cofess i also use the same two and yes they are very sore

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn't like to imagine what my fingers would be like if I was only using 2 @Lynmi :eek:

I usually rotate fingers at each test (struggle most with my thumbs) and try to use a different hand each day to give the other a rest. My thumbs probably get tested the least as I find it really difficult to get enough blood out of them.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I test about seven times a day and I use one finger (not thumbs) each day - so that one poor finger gets pricked a lot but then gets seven days rest.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Lynmi. A few tips which might help.
As said rotate you fingers.
Ensure your finger pricker is set correctly ( no use drilling for oil when all you need is to plant some seedlings)
Warm/ wash your hands prior to testing.
Moisturise with cream ( cocoa butter I find good ).
Purchase a pumice stone to remove hard skin on a regular basis.
Change your lancet on a regular basis.
Fingers crossed ( bit of a pun ) things may improve.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deanc883

linda_b

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Eucerin is good. It's got 5% urea in it which helps fight the build up of hard skin. I use the foot cream it's amazing.

Reactions: Lynmi

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
I use surgical spirit it pretty cheap and it seems to harden the skin but i expect any good hand cream would do the same good luck.

Reactions: Deanc883

Lynmi

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Eucerin is good. It's got 5% urea in it which helps fight the build up of hard skin. I use the foot cream it's amazing.

Thanks I should have thought of that, I worked in farm supply's years ago and we all used the udder cream as hand cream lol

Lynmi

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Lynmi. A few tips which might help.
As said rotate you fingers.
Ensure your finger pricker is set correctly ( no use drilling for oil when all you need is to plant some seedlings)
Warm/ wash your hands prior to testing.
Moisturise with cream ( cocoa butter I find good ).
Purchase a pumice stone to remove hard skin on a regular basis.
Change your lancet on a regular basis.
Fingers crossed ( bit of a pun ) things may improve.

I do do most of that, and file the skin down when I do my nail's but must confess I'm not good at changing the lancet, I'll make more effort thank

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use a decent shea butter moisturiser all over, after my shower, and just make sure my hands get their share as I finish up.

If I want to "see off" any build up is thickening skin, or any dry skin, I'll sometimes just put a little (less than 0.5 teaspoonful) of any cooking oil into a cupped palm, add a similar amount of granulated sugary (about the only thing it's used for in this house), and massage my hands, then wash with hand wash. You would be surprised how soft the hands are immediately thereafter. It's also a great way of cleaning the hands after gardening or any other really dirty jobs.

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Tea tree cream or tea tree and manuka cream both help too.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm surprised to read people struggle to use thumbs. I find mine give the best blood blob, hurt less, and I use them frequently.

Hannah11688

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told to never use my thumbs or the finger next to it. However I'm very guilty of using my little fingers the most. I use soap and glory hand cream. It's remembering when to use at a correct time. The times I've moisturised my hands then gone darn it i need to test my sugars. Vaseline on my feet overy night with socks on.

shelaughs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Type 1 for 35years, I am puzzled, why would you not use thumbs for testing???!!!. I use all my digits in rotation, the left side, centre and right side up to 7 times a day. No sore fingers... well most of the time anyway