Low Carbohydrate Simmel Cake And Hot Cross Buns

PansyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone found and tried recipes for a simnel cake and/or hot cross buns which is devoid of /has low, carbohydrates?

images
more-food-easter-simnel-cake-0-__medium.jpg

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I suspect the truthful answer is not. Could sprinkle a mix of the spices on half a toasted/buttered Lidl roll maybe. Incidentally I toast one side only and use the halogen oven. It toasts it very evenly, sometimes with a bit of butter spread on before toasting.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Alas - I will be preparing hard boiled eggs for my Easter morning - you can find lower carb options to substitute for some or part of the really high carb ingredients, but there simply isn't a low carb version of cake and bread with the same impact as the originals.

PansyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't like Lidl high protein rolls! lol

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Morrisons protein bread is nice. If they use them as a substitute we'd be laughing. Rolls or similiar cake mix. They'd have to artifical sweetener for cake thou.
I know slimming world make an all bran chocolate cake. Obviously useless to us but they loss weight on it.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Those are 78.6 percent carb Avocado Sevenfold - that is a big adaption to make.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Talking of low carb marzipan, I found this pic from my first Easter with diabetes in 2014. Low carb marzipan balls with bunnies.

IMG_0034.jpg

Reactions: Ultramum

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I ate enough Hot Cross Buns in the 55 years prior to diagnosis to last many lifetimes.

There are some things you just can't eat when following a healthy lifestyle, and searching for inadequate substitutes will only make you miss them more.