Waitrose coffee shop madness

Sugar free Stu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The corporations don't have to change much just add a few options and cater to all of their customers. If you don't complain and just accept what they are offering then of course they won't change.
That however is not what I said. Changing would increase wastage as most will always refuse healthy options. I sat in a pub recently and must have heard 99% of people refuse salad & go for chips. Using these corporations in anyway is supporting those who make people sick in the first place. A local café will adapt to local demands eg sugar free cakes etc.
But keep writing your letters if that flots your boat.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
That however is not what I said. Changing would increase wastage as most will always refuse healthy options. I sat in a pub recently and must have heard 99% of people refuse salad & go for chips. Using these corporations in anyway is supporting those who make people sick in the first place. A local café will adapt to local demands eg sugar free cakes etc.

Nah, if you keep asking, you get.
I always switch out chips for a salad, many pubs will do this now.
Hungry Horse, Weatherspoons, Flaming Grill, to name but a few.
Always funny, as I go with my daughters, they have burger and chips, I have burger and salad, or similar.
Every time it comes and she gets my salad, I get her chips.
Every time I tell them it's the wrong way round.
Every time they look at my size 8 kids, and look at me like I'm mad.
If your boat has already sunk with all on board, fair enough, but we'll try to make a difference where we can.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
OK if what floats your boat is just passive acceptance, but to me that is a defeatist attitude and if we all just followed that course we would be eating of the well plate, not testing and probably have prosthetic limbs and white canes.I will continue to complain write letters send emails and do what ever it takes in my own small way to bring about change.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I agree. Vote with your feet! :)

SteveOsborne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Here in lovely Galicia, Spain if you ask for coffee that is all you get. You have to make a point of asking for it with milk.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How does skimmed or semi skimmed milk contribute to the incidence of diabetes?
because its low fat and high sugar and one drinks it thinking its healthy - it certainly played a big part in my diabetes - given that my diet was low fat everything and skimmed milk formed a big part of my daily diet before I was diagnosed - it doesn't now !

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
because its low fat and high sugar and one drinks it thinking its healthy - it certainly played a big part in my diabetes - given that my diet was low fat everything and skimmed milk formed a big part of my daily diet before I was diagnosed - it doesn't now !

The carb content of semi skimmed milk is hardly any higher than that of full fat milk - 4.7g per 100ml for whole milk versus 4.8g per 100ml for semi skimmed :)

And, of course, most people would have a very small amount in a coffee.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The carb content of semi skimmed milk is hardly any higher than that of full fat milk - 4.7g per 100ml for whole milk versus 4.8g per 100ml for semi skimmed :)

whilst this is of course true, that is why my first choice was cream , and actually I would probably have refused the full fat had it been available as well.
I appreciate completely that skimmed milk looks "fine " on surface, but for me its not -

when I drink a coffee with cream, I know its a satisfying treat to drink occasionally when I drink tea with skimmed milk , I just want more and more of it. On a " low fat diet " I would allocate calories to a pint of skimmed milk per day and drink tea if ever I felt hungry. I did it in the certain knowledge I could drink freely because there were hardly any calories in it. This I ended up pretty addicted to tea with skimmed milk. It took months on my LCHF diet to stop the incessant craving for it.
Practically ALL of my current low carbs today was already coming from the skimmed milk before I even started to eat. the other 800 calories of mainly carbs I allowed myself on my LFHC diet. Of course no individual item causes the damage, cumulatively its a disaster . Hence for me the last thing I need is to reawaken my craving for skimmed milk when I go in a coffee shop.

Reactions: Speedbird

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
if a friend cooks a meal with root veg or something you would not normally eat say thanks regard it as a treat and get back to your diet in your space.

True but at a friend's house I am a guest, In a cafe I am a paying customer.

Reactions: Struma

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Its also unusual to have milk in tea, in a lot of Europe. You get some really odd looks, or really odd results when requesting tea with milk in Poland for example. One of them that sticks in my mind was a bit like the Peter Kay 'Garlic Bread' routine. Tea, with milk?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
whilst this is of course true, that is why my first choice was cream , and actually I would probably have refused the full fat had it been available as well.
I appreciate completely that skimmed milk looks "fine " on surface, but for me its not -

when I drink a coffee with cream, I know its a satisfying treat to drink occasionally when I drink tea with skimmed milk , I just want more and more of it. On a " low fat diet " I would allocate calories to a pint of skimmed milk per day and drink tea if ever I felt hungry. I did it in the certain knowledge I could drink freely because there were hardly any calories in it. This I ended up pretty addicted to tea with skimmed milk. It took months on my LCHF diet to stop the incessant craving for it.
Practically ALL of my current low carbs today was already coming from the skimmed milk before I even started to eat. the other 800 calories of mainly carbs I allowed myself on my LFHC diet. Of course no individual item causes the damage, cumulatively its a disaster . Hence for me the last thing I need is to reawaken my craving for skimmed milk when I go in a coffee shop.

Pretty scary then.
I drink way too many cups of coffee, and if I had cream, I'd pile on so much weight I'd be diabetic again in a few weeks.
But I guess 'cravings' are a personal thing, you either ignore, or you can't.
For me, skimmed milk is the only way to go.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Wish I could afford to shop at Waitrose.....

Some of their items are cheaper, esp with the 20% discount with the card...and you got a lot of itsms you can select the discount on...

And going at the right time you can get big discounts on caulis for 10p!!

We are bargain hunters except for coffee and their purple pack one coffee beans are best quality and taste...

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Skimmed milk has lost most of its vitamins.

How much milk do you put in a coffee, if you really need to consider it as one of your five a day??
Me, it's just a teaspoonful or so.

Reactions: Jaylee

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The nearest Waitrose to me is about 17 miles away.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
How much milk do you put in a coffee, if you really need to consider it as one of your five a day??
Me, it's just a teaspoonful or so.

500ml per day for me in my turmeric/ginger/cinammon/black pepper teas...

So it really has an impact on getting basals right pre operationd or investigations. I can finf my basal goes from what was 7 units down to 3 on prevop days when I am totally nil by mouth and emotying a very full stomach and colon (takes 5 days to fo this with me)... so every ml if milk does count for me...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not in most coffee shops where lattes and cappuccinos are the order of the day... a starbucks grande latte has 19g of carbs..

Reactions: Jaylee