Low carb kitchen catastrophes :)

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Fathead pizza crust makes excellent bread and even more excellent pizza.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Some more great suggestions for LC. Has anyone tried making soul bread.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some more great suggestions for LC. Has anyone tried making soul bread.

Yes.
Unfortunately I am intolerant to whey, so I tried to substitute the whey powder for hemp protein powder.
:eek:
Not good.
It was a kind of swamp sludge green, and wasn't cooked properly in the middle.
The flavour was kind of swampy too.
Not my finest culinary moment.

I would love to have some real soul bread, because it looks heavenly.
Maybe try egg protein powder next.
Trouble is, these protein powders are expensive, and you use a lot in the soul bread recipe, so it works out expensive if they fail.

In case anyone is wondering, this is the soul bread recipe.
https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2016/04/17/keto-and-primal-soul-bread

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the link, I know what you mean about the cost of the whey powder but some eggs on LC toast that doesn't fall apart would be heavenly.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tried pancakes with egg' almond flour and cream they were just like an omelette without proper flour they just were not pancakes
Sweet things made with almond or coconut flour were horrible didn't like the taste at all and a flaxseed loaf I made once was like a very oily brick that was the end of me trying to bake with substitute flours. Now I do not do substitutes for the real thing cottage pie and fish pie were ruined for me when I use celeriac and cauliflower mash instead of potato so never again now when I have them I do have a small amount of real potato mash.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
O

oooo Chook thank you, I'm currently out of almonds BUT they are on my shopping list...

So tonight's been a bit of an experimental night... My no base cheese cake wasn't quite right, so tonight, I hunted out a baked one I made in school recipe....

It's in the oven now :)

I wizzed some almonds in my blender... They came out like the biscuit base, so substituted almonds for digestive biscuits.... It seemed to work and tasted ok.

Then the creamy bit...

Quark, eggs and lime juice.. It tasted nice before it went into the oven, I sweetened with stevia so if this works I'll post the recipe... If it doesn't I'm going to keep on going....

I still want to find something I can serve guests as a desert that looks and tastes great that I can eat... If not good ol cheese board it is then.....
I really like baked egg custard for dessert (sorry, more eggs though!). Serve with some fresh or stewed berries and clotted cream. http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/baked-egg-custard-2/764b183b-20f6-49e9-9ddc-662e8db3cfe6