Nose bleeds

Robyn@29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't normally get nose bleeds, just the occasional when I overheat. I've only been diabetic since October and haven't had once since diagnosis, But today at work I had one that wouldn't stop for over 15 mins and I was bleeding from both nostrils, which has NEVER happened to me before :S anyone else noticed an increase in severity of nose bleeds since diagnosis? Should I chalk this up to another lovely side effect of being diabetic or is it something to be concerned about for other reasons? T.I.A x

Amy993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I agree with this. I woke up with my first nose bleed since diagnosis and it was bad and didn't stop for about 10 minutes.

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I don't normally get nose bleeds, just the occasional when I overheat. I've only been diabetic since October and haven't had once since diagnosis, But today at work I had one that wouldn't stop for over 15 mins and I was bleeding from both nostrils, which has NEVER happened to me before :S anyone else noticed an increase in severity of nose bleeds since diagnosis? Should I chalk this up to another lovely side effect of being diabetic or is it something to be concerned about for other reasons? T.I.A x
In my opinion it's hard to say whether it's related specifically to your diabetes or not. I've never had a nose bleed and I've been living with Tyoe 1 for a long time, but that might not mean anything. Having said that, sometimes side affects of different medications can cause an increase on nose bleeds. Have you been prescribed any new medications lately like a Statin or Blood Pressure medication? Dry air is known to be a cause too - any environmental changes as of late?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Should I chalk this up to another lovely side effect of being diabetic or is it something to be concerned about for other reasons? T.I.A x

I've not seen it said that nosebleeds are a side-effect of diabetes, apart from the occasional one I don't get many at all and I've been type 1 for 35 years.

I just think some people are more prone to nosebleeds than others, my youngest gets quite a lot of nosebleeds as does my MIL, both are not diabetic btw.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not buying diabetes causing nosebleeds, nope. I'd have an ENT do an "up your nose with a rubber hose" scope procedure and see what's causing it. It could have come out both nostrils because the bleed was higher up than the nasal passages. Like maybe a sinus or something.

Reactions: Robyn@29

Robyn@29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not buying diabetes causing nosebleeds, nope. I'd have an ENT do an "up your nose with a rubber hose" scope procedure and see what's causing it. It could have come out both nostrils because the bleed was higher up than the nasal passages. Like maybe a sinus or something.
Not saying it causes nose bleeds but when I was diagnosed they said illnesses might hit you harder and that I might bruise easier/take longer to heal, so was just wondering if the bleeding and not stopping for longer was linked... and the whole bleeding from both nostrils, never had that before :S haha

Robyn@29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In my opinion it's hard to say whether it's related specifically to your diabetes or not. I've never had a nose bleed and I've been living with Tyoe 1 for a long time, but that might not mean anything. Having said that, sometimes side affects of different medications can cause an increase on nose bleeds. Have you been prescribed any new medications lately like a Statin or Blood Pressure medication? Dry air is known to be a cause too - any environmental changes as of late?
Hi, I'm not taking anything other than my insulins it was just weird and tbh I was stood there thinking oh **** this isn't stopping and having visions of a paramedic being called :S eeek

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Low blood sugar reduces coagulopathy, so if your blood sugar was low that would make a nose bleed last longer.

Reactions: Robyn@29

Robyn@29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Low blood sugar reduces coagulopathy, so if your blood sugar was low that would make a nose bleed last longer.
Thanks, good to know, but this was just after I'd eaten lunch n hadn't had the chance to inject yet :S so I doubt I was low, if anything I was on my way up :S lol