Adjusting insulin when flying East

Mrselbows

Hi, I am going to Sri Lanka this week and was looking for advice on when to have my long acting tresiba, which I normally have at 9pm.

When flying west I usually take my long acting at the same time as in the U.K., so around 4pm if 5 hours behind, and this seems to work ok.

However, this will be my first time flying east and also my first time with changing time zones and tresiba.

Any suggestions greatly received as we fly on Tuesday and this has only just occurred to me :-(

PansyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Bump I'd ask the doctor/consultant.diabetic nurse.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I am going to Sri Lanka this week and was looking for advice on when to have my long acting tresiba, which I normally have at 9pm.

When flying west I usually take my long acting at the same time as in the U.K., so around 4pm if 5 hours behind, and this seems to work ok.

However, this will be my first time flying east and also my first time with changing time zones and tresiba.

Any suggestions greatly received as we fly on Tuesday and this has only just occurred to me :-(

@Mrselbows I can move this to The Type 1 section for you where you should get more replies. Is that ok?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What's the time difference between your home and your destination?

And how long are you going for?

I'm on a pump but when on injections, I moved my basal gradually before departure so that it was at the destination time.

There are also formulae you can use to calculate doses.

Mrselbows

What's the time difference between your home and your destination?

And how long are you going for?

I'm on a pump but when on injections, I moved my basal gradually before departure so that it was at the destination time.

There are also formulae you can use to calculate doses.
I think they are about 4 1/2 hours ahead. We are only going for 10 days and I know I usually need a few days to see the effects of Tresiba anyway so a bit stumped!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think they are about 4 1/2 hours ahead. We are only going for 10 days and I know I usually need a few days to see the effects of Tresiba anyway so a bit stumped!

If you don't have time to move the injection time before you go, you can have a reduced dose at the new 9pm (because it will be less than 24 hours). I've never used Tresiba so I'm not sure which formula you should use.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Mrselbows

I have found that Tresiba is quite flexible with regards to timing since I switched to taking it in the morning (I used to take it at 10pm every evening). So now I take it when I get up - that could be 6am or midday :) and it doesn't seem to affect my background levels at all, so personally I would have no worry about moving it forward by 4.5 hours to fit a different time zone. Obviously that's my own anecdotal experience so you would need to make your own decision or consult your DSN if at all unsure.

Reactions: azure