Night time hypos

sadiek1804

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I've started a new drug - forxiga 10mg one a day along side 26units of novomix30 2times daily and 1 SR metformin. My question is, how best do I treat night time hypos as I seem to be getting close to the point, like light headed, weak legs and shaking all over etc all the symptoms.
I've been a type 2 for almost 4 years but I've only just started taking it seriously
Thanks

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @sadiek1804

I'm afraid i can't answer your question, but my post should bump your question back up to the top of Recent Posts.
Hopefully someone will be along to help you soon.

Can i ask what levels your blood glucose usually runs at?
And what readings you get during your night time hypos?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @sadiek1804 ,

Sorry to hear your having problems. Do you test your blood sugars when this occurs.
Hypos are hypos 24/7.
Treat it always with some fast acting carb (couple of jelly babies.) then follow up with something a little longer acting..

sadiek1804

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Until recently I was always around the 15 mark. But lately I've been between 6-8 which I know isn't low but during the night I've been 3-4 x

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Until recently I was always around the 15 mark. But lately I've been between 6-8 which I know isn't low but during the night I've been 3-4 x
Try reducing your afternoon/evening insulin to 24units so your 26units am and 24units pm.
Adding any addition diabetic med will hopefully reduce your bgs and reduce the amount of insulin. Test maybe just before sleep to compare decline from the 2hrs after evening food test. If steady it may hold you in better stead but if it has declined nibble something light but with a bit of a carby substance. E.g Jacobs crackers x2. Test and see. If still declining speak to dn as she/he may advise reducing insulin more.
Are you confident reducing and increasing your insulin?