Trying Inulin with meals

Streety

Type of diabetes
LADA
I've been on and off my 1000 calorie diet that the endo put me on. I lost a heap of weight and then put it back on.

A few personal issues had me using food as comfort, but I'm ready now to hop back on the wagon - especially seeing Michael Mosely on one of our current affairs shows in Australia. I'd really like to get off my meds or at least some.

Now, I've posted here elsewhere about my belief that inflammation is a big part of diabetes - either being complicit in triggering it or causing havoc with BS once you do have it. So I've looked into probiotics quite a bit (Kim-chee, kombucha and other ferments) and they have helped me.

Recently my husband was diagnosed with diverticulitis and in my research on this, I came across inulin. Inulin is a soluble fibre that's starchy but has a low GI and is not well absorbed so gets passed through to the lower parts of the intestine and colon where it is finally eaten by the good bacteria in your tract. It's a prebiotic. It absorbs fat and gives a feeling of fullness. Yeah, I've heard that one before.

This actually does make me feel full. I'm thinking of having some with a small snack of yoghurt or similar in the afternoon to stave off those high cal cravings and in the evenings after dinner to feel full as I go to bed. These are the worst times for me.

Now, it is a fructan so can upset people with those allergies. As with any high fibre it can make you farty. Other than those downsides, I can't see too much wrong. Max dose is 2 level tablespoons daily.

I'll be back on the low-cal with inulin and let you know how it goes.

Reactions: Speedbird

Streety

Type of diabetes
LADA
Ok, I'm on day 3 of my unofficial inulin experiment. The 'gas' has settled down which is good. I think I'm eating less but the scales will reveal that.

The best side effect has been regularity of motions. With all my medication, I was getting constipated.
I woke up this morning and felt hungry which is a good sign of a low BS - didn't test sorry.

Weird side effect, clearer nasal passages. Yeah, the first day I started having less nasal congestion. I kind of always have something as I'm prone to sinus and am sure I have some low level allergy. The only thing I can think of is the reduction in inflammation in my body makes it easier to deal with irritants like dust and pollen?

This is absolutely anecdotal and could be totally unrelated but hey - I'll take the improvement!

Reactions: Footrest

Streety

Type of diabetes
LADA
Day 4 - didn't feel as hungry this morning. BG was 7.4 not great but not bad as I had some chocolate last night.

Still have a fairly clear nose and am in a good mood, feeling bouncy. Mood is interesting as I'm on medication for depression.
Still having feelings of fullness and lost a kilo since beginning of the week.

Reactions: Speedbird

Streety

Type of diabetes
LADA
Two steps forward, one back. Lost another kilo but gained it back over the weekend.
Thanks husband, thanks for the easter chocolate s)

Still really enjoying taking the inulin though and enjoying feeling regular and actually emptying my bowels.

Granny_Mo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Streety. I found your interesting thread while searching for info on inulin. My husband has type 2but also a spinal cord injury and limited mobility so needs all the help he can get! he is doing well and bs are down to a reasonable level and he has lost 1 stone so far . We are just about to try inulin to see if this can help him too. I wondered how the inulin experiment went after your posts? Are you still usng it? Did it help long term? I also have diverticulosis and constipation problems so will try too (I am not diabetic).