Swede Rules

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The last time I had swede (rutabaga) was over 50 years ago in school dinners and I hated it, so haven't had any since - until today! My wife bought a swede by accident in the supermarket instead of celeriac so I gave it a try, mashed with butter, salt and pepper and it was excellent. Most of the replacements for potato I have tried have been ok; celeriac, butternut squash, lentils etc. but the swede was actually desirable in its own right, rather than just a reasonable substitute. I will get some more and experiment with various recipes, I going try turnips as well as they are closely related. Only Baldrick could get more excited about a root vegetable.

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The last time I had swede (rutabaga) was over 50 years ago in school dinners and I hated it, so haven't had any since - until today! My wife bought a swede by accident in the supermarket instead of celeriac so I gave it a try, mashed with butter, salt and pepper and it was excellent. Most of the replacements for potato I have tried have been ok; celeriac, butternut squash, lentils etc. but the swede was actually desirable in its own right, rather than just a reasonable substitute. I will get some more and experiment with various recipes, I going try turnips as well as they are closely related. Only Baldrick could get more excited about a root vegetable.
@Mr_Pot you have just made me laugh. X

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like roasting a mix of root veg - swede, parsnip, carrot, celeriac - olive oil, salt & pepper, a few whole garlic gloves (peeled), an onion in rough chunks, rosemary - I don't miss roast potatoes at all. I still miss bread and occasionally pasta or potato gnocchi though.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Suede fritters are they low carb? bit chewy I bet.. hehe

Yes, they are part of the keto menu choices on DietDoctor, so you can eat 3 meals a day from their Keto recipes, and stay under 20g carbs a day. :)

Reactions: Ultramum
D

Deleted member 308541

The last time I had swede (rutabaga) was over 50 years ago in school dinners and I hated it
A little longer for me for school dinners, but Swede was more palatable than the so called "cabbage" they dished up.

I have never see Swede in the fruit and veggie sections or Sunday farmers markets, but the name Rutabaga rings a bell I have seen that somewhere. I would like to give it a try again.

Streety

Type of diabetes
LADA
Lol - swede/suede

I'll have to ad swedes to my list of root vegies to try. Down under we are coming in to autumn, perfect time for roasts!

I'm also keen to try (and grow) jerusalem artichoke because of it's low gi and high inulin content - why it's often called fartichoke.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We used to grow Jerusalem fartichokes. I made the other half dig them all up and get rid of them. They were delicious bt I couldn't eat them as they gave me horrific stomach cramps. They were also very invasive in the garden. We now grow globe artichokes instead - a much better option, though a totally different type of veggie.

Reactions: Brunneria

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I used to love fartichokes. I haven't had any since I started low carbing. I read somewhere that the reason for the excessive botty burping is because we can't digest the type of carb in them. Next time I see them I'll experiment to see how they affect my BG.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Next you try swede, consider cooking it in the microwave. It's really excellent, and negates all that peeling and chopping beforehand.

Have a look on YouTube for videos on "singing swede" and you'll get an idea how long to nuke it for.

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Swede and carrot mash is delicious. We call it turnip here in Scotland! Can't stand the white turnips myself.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I love swede. mashed up with pepper, it's a lovely vegetable :)