Type 1 Forgot to take long acting

Lynmi

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had a couple of bad day, my pet rabbit passed away and I'm devastated and not fully with it. Have just woken up this morning and sugars ate really high. Was really confused until I noticed my Abasaglar pen and sealed needle on the bed next to me. Seems I forgot to take it.

What would you all advise. Leave it until tonight and just keep an eye on levels and adjust more during the day or take maybe a half dose this morning ?

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Like Lantus you can split Basaglar so I would go for the half dose now and check your BGs more frequently today to stay on top of any swings.

Have also done the just fast acting before when long acting ran put away from home but not my preferred option.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Lynmi ,

Realy sorry about your rabbit.

Looks like clear evidence you forgot the basal?

@steve_p6 has sensible advice. (Just seen your buddy. Whilst composing mine.) :cool:

A slight variation reagarding my personal action on this sort of thing?

Depending on when you normally take the basal. For "arguments sake" if you had 6 hours sleep take 3/4 of the normal dose in the morning. Then get back to your normal regime in the evening.. (I take Lantus around the 11pm.)
Of course you will need to tailor the dosage to your own regime to get back on track!

But? Keep a close eye on the BS through the day. It can still get a little unpredictable... + remember to carry the hypo treatment too!

Lynmi

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys, I normally take 12 units at about 10 ish at night, so will take 7 units now and see how I go

Rosiegough_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Evil beings. Destroying our beautiful Planet X
Really sorry about your pet❤️

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks guys, I normally take 12 units at about 10 ish at night, so will take 7 units now and see how I go

Sorry about your rabbit : (

Keep testing during today so you can keep an eye on things. X