Sick of my pump already!!!!

metelskaya

I am a mother of type 1 daughter. She is almost 7 now and was diagnosed when she was 4. She is on Medtronic pump. We have sensor but it would of been so good and useful to have receiver and phone app that would allow to monitor her sugars from home. Unfortunately in Canada receiver and the app are not approved.

Does anyone know to access US android play store from another country to download the app? If I can do it then I can think of asking someone I know to send us receiver from US to Canada.

AmandaD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
when I got my first pump I spent the whole first night hypo never above 3. My basal rates were adjusted big time and I am on a lot less insulin, less than half of what I was on with MDI stick with it...

hboyt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sounds very familar! I wanted to throw my pump out the window and never see it again after the first couple weeks! Poor husband had to put up with a lot of tears but glad I has his support to keep going. A pump was something a dreamed about for years. It took me a good 4 months to get the levels adjusted. I also had the support of my dsn and was in touch every 2-3 days to make adjustments. Keep going it is totally worth it in the end....first time in 20 years of having diabetes I got to target of under 7% (50 mmol)! Big hugs...keep going:)

Hetty28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
you may need a big drop and then work your way back up. I would also not be correcting if your levels go high after hypo as that will not be helping if your correction dose settings are out. your team might be better helping with that as it is quite technical ive found.. stick with it its difficult to begin with trying to work out carbohydrates in foods but I don't give any insulin unless it is over 15 grams and I don't count carbohydrates in things like beans peas or sweetcorn. I'm very sensitive to mine so found it was safer to work my way up rather than down and only do half units at a time. or less if its not really high

LauraR88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sorry for the late reply to everyone, I went off in a little huff with myself as I felt like I had failed. After all these years and many days of tears from having to do MDI I couldn't wait to get my pump and not even having it on for 12 hours I was ready for putting it in the bin. I don't suppose having so many hypos helped with my emotions! But I suppose I was also scared as I live on my own and I was petrified incase I had a bad hypo in my sleep and never recovered from it (I know I'm a drama queen!!)

I understand it's not the pumps fault, but the insulin, however I refer to it as a whole!!

My DSN it's great I have a fantastic relationship with her, she speaks with me most days and even helps me with non diabetic related things to. (They are worth their weight in gold when you find a good one)

I have adjusted my rates after discussion with my DSN and had a much better few days so here's hoping it lasts!

I knew it was going to be hard work, however, I never banked on it being so emotionally draining to :(

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glad your improving, it does take time. Pretty sure it was around 2-3 months before I was happy with my pump settings after I moved over. The first few weeks were draining but worthwhile sticking to it :)

Reactions: LauraR88 and himtoo

Marion1102

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Keep trying I'm sure you'll get there, I'm starting on a pump next week so this is not what I wanted to hear but everyone thinks that you'll get there and that it'll all be worth it

Reactions: himtoo

NatsHunter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I can't believe it, I was so looking forward to today to eventually have my pump and insulin - no more MDI
- happy days right??? WRONG!!

Every two hours I've hypo'd! I'm mentally and physically so tired, not to mention gutted. I'm starting to hate the pump for making me feel so ****.

My rates have already been altered and had 25% taken off them yet I'm still hypo'ing :(

I have had my pump for over 4 years and it does take a lot of perseverance at first. But I would personally persevere as the benefits are fantastic. Prior to having my pump I was ill constantly but since I've had it I've not been ill at all and I have two young boys who bring home al sorts of bugs from school.
I believe once you get your basal rate sorted you will love it. Xcx

.gurley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I can't believe it, I was so looking forward to today to eventually have my pump and insulin - no more MDI
- happy days right??? WRONG!!

Every two hours I've hypo'd! I'm mentally and physically so tired, not to mention gutted. I'm starting to hate the pump for making me feel so ****.

My rates have already been altered and had 25% taken off them yet I'm still hypo'ing :(
Yes I know where you are but patience and a lot of tweeking will get you bang on with your control!!!!!!! I have less than 2% hypo rate and that is set at 3.8 so I really do not have a problem anymore. hang on in there and good luck with your pump i hope you can get it sorted.

Vwhite1980

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Loud noise, runner beans, liars
Sorry for the late reply to everyone, I went off in a little huff with myself as I felt like I had failed. After all these years and many days of tears from having to do MDI I couldn't wait to get my pump and not even having it on for 12 hours I was ready for putting it in the bin. I don't suppose having so many hypos helped with my emotions! But I suppose I was also scared as I live on my own and I was petrified incase I had a bad hypo in my sleep and never recovered from it (I know I'm a drama queen!!)

I understand it's not the pumps fault, but the insulin, however I refer to it as a whole!!

My DSN it's great I have a fantastic relationship with her, she speaks with me most days and even helps me with non diabetic related things to. (They are worth their weight in gold when you find a good one)

I have adjusted my rates after discussion with my DSN and had a much better few days so here's hoping it lasts!

I knew it was going to be hard work, however, I never banked on it being so emotionally draining to :(

Well done for persevering. The first day I had my pump I had a very important interview to attend and I went hypo! Luckily I had been pre warned and I had told my interviewees as well. Its just one of those things! I also got the job as well which was cool! Glad you are on a better level now, like others have said it does take a little while to get perfection! I had meetings with my Diabetes team 1 week after pump started, then 1 month, then 2 months, then 3 months then 6 months, all the time making minor adjustments and doing lots of 8 hour long fasting tests to check levels. Its all worth it in the end when you know you have got it right and you can rely on it to keep you level, I still find I dont always get the carb counts right, but sometimes you do have to guess, hence I check two hours after eating and do adjustment doses that I know my machine calculates perfectly for me. You then have to learn how to adjust everything for exercise, its all very well getting it all perfect for when you sit at home watching tv, in reality this is not the case and again exercise is a trial and error. I now take my pump off when I play football matches, as I was forever swigging lucozade throughout the match! I tried 10% reduction, then 20% reduction and 50% reduction in basal rate to no avail, so just take it off then check blood sugars before reconnecting. We live we learn! 2 years down the line I am much happier and have more freedom, if I fancy a biscuit I tell my machine and it gives me the miniscule dose I need to stop my blood sugar raising! (great advantage of the pump doses of 0.1 unit...I used to hate it when I was on injections, I knew I needed say 1.5 units of insulin but had to have either 1 unit or 2 units...neither of which worked for me!

In Conclusion, once you get the levels adjusted correctly, trust me it will keep working without a doubt!

Reactions: pwzero