Virgin Olive Oil and Med. Diet for Type 2.

• Thread starter catherinecherub
  • Start Date

PickledPepper

I've been converted somewhat.

I love a nice piece of pan fried salmon (in olive oil of course) on a bed of mixed salad (must have rocket), cherry tomatoes and a few olives tossed in a mixture of olive oil, cider and balsamic vinegar. All topped off with a sprinkling of mixed nuts inc. sesame, pumpkin, sunflower and walnut.

Lovely.

But then so is a good spicy curry.....just a shame that I can't have anything more than a tiny amount of rice with it now.....groan..

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That's good news then, been using virgin olive oil for some time now, great for cooking and using in dressing for salads and dips! :)

Nigel

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have used extra virgin olive oil for many a year on my salads etc - straight from my relatives in Italy - but I don't like it for cooking - I just don't like the taste it leaves on the food - I use rape seed oil for cooking if I need oil -but you can't beat the good old olive oil for dressings -especially with a dash of balsamic vinegar!

JasonS

:D Love Virgin olive oil. Like many of you I use it a lot on salads and in salad dressing that I make. Perfect with balsamic. :) Not thought of using rape seed for cooking as I do us olive oil but do not let it get too hot.

With this heat I have been sticking to a med. diet as I find I cannot eat too much with the heat. Anyone have any good salad receipies and/or dressings to pass on. :wink:

jane22

PickledPepper said:
I've been converted somewhat.

I love a nice piece of pan fried salmon (in olive oil of course) on a bed of mixed salad (must have rocket), cherry tomatoes and a few olives tossed in a mixture of olive oil, cider and balsamic vinegar. All topped off with a sprinkling of mixed nuts inc. sesame, pumpkin, sunflower and walnut.

Lovely.

But then so is a good spicy curry.....just a shame that I can't have anything more than a tiny amount of rice with it now.....groan..

Oh yummy , thats my favourite meal and we had it last night. I spend a couple of months a year in a harbour village on the med and have friends who have olive groves. We just love fresh olives drenched in olive oil with a wedge of wholemeal bread and a salad for lunch. I have also grown to love sword fish cooked in olive oil. We buy it fresh from the quayside. It has been noted that the people who live in this village regularly live very long lives, often into their 100's.

cavelioness

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
JasonS said:
:D Love Virgin olive oil. Like many of you I use it a lot on salads and in salad dressing that I make. Perfect with balsamic. :) Not thought of using rape seed for cooking as I do us olive oil but do not let it get too hot.

With this heat I have been sticking to a med. diet as I find I cannot eat too much with the heat. Anyone have any good salad receipies and/or dressings to pass on. :wink:

chopped mint over your salads cant be beat on flavour

JasonS

cavelioness, thank you for that suggestion. I had some mint from the garden on a tomato, rocket and olive oil salad. Went down very well :)

pollyr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
political correctness in any form
JasonS said:

I can recommend the 'Slim and Healthy Mediterranean' book written by Judith Wills. loads of recipes - over 100.

Oil and vinegar dressing: 6 fl oz extra virgin olive oil, 3 tblsp red wine vinegar, l level tsp mustard powder, 1 level tsp sugar, add salt and plenty of black pepper. Combine all ingredients in a screw top jar and dressing will keep for weeks in fridge. Variations, add fresh chopped herbs such as tarragon, oregano, or thyme. Or add crushed garlic. Could also use white wine vinegar instead of red.

Polly

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
The mediterranean diet can be quite high in carbs, so anyone using that approach needs to keep a watch out. Also Olive oil doesn't do too well if you heat it, so isn't great for frying.
Saturated fats are better for heating, they don't have any weak bonds to damage. Keep the olive oil for salad dressings.
Hana