ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I often wondered why when I started insulin (for pregnancy) in my office the line manager started making a fuss about eating cream cakes and using the office extention for baking cakes very regularly. She'd stuff herself sitting next to me. Then when I had the baby she went on a diet. Strange, don't you think?
I just munched on my nuts in my draw to prevent eating rubbish. I addded no weight in that pregnancy either!

Reactions: AM1874 and Lamont D

LenG45

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"Sandra, are you allowed to have a piece of cake? It's home made."

This makes me mad also. If I am in the real grumpy mood I reply, "oh yes I am allowed to eat anything. It's only that I die earlier if I do". That shuts down the conversation!

Reactions: AM1874

Hotpepper20000

Now I wasn't going to suggest that... :stop:
But the result would look like something out of a David Cronenberg movie.. :D
"Sandra, are you allowed to have a piece of cake? It's home made."

This makes me mad also. If I am in the real grumpy mood I reply, "oh yes I am allowed to eat anything. It's only that I die earlier if I do". That shuts down the conversation!
"Are you still on that diet?"
Another one

Sarahlou1982

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise that makes me feel like I'm dying
Mt niece, who knows I am a T1 diabetic invited me to afternoon tea on Easter Monday. I know she was being kind and thoughtful but it put me in the embarrassing position of having to refuse and explain why. I do not inject in order to consume extra carbs and any way don't like sweet things having been diabetic for nearly 60 years. She invites me for a meal at her home and then put loads of potatoes on my plate plus carrots, peas and parsnips! This is an intelligent woman whose father was a microbiologist. One day she served up a pork dish. I couldn't understand why it tasted so sweet. I asked her how she cooked and she gave me the recipe. It had a lot of honey in it! My blood sugars were sky high when I got home. Why are people so ignorant about food? It is the bane of my life and makes me feel I cannot accept invitations to meals. Why don't restaurants serve sugar free desserts? What is the obsession with sugar. I hate the taste of it even when I have to take glucose to stave off a hypo. The diabetic nurse at the hospital looked at me as if I was mad when I told her that.

I was diagnosed on Monday, I'm starting to resent sugar already. I get where you are coming from.

Reactions: Eldorado and Sibyl

clareb1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Mean people, cruelty to vulnerable people and animals. Ignorance of what the human race is doing to our planet. Arrogance and selfishness.
A Friday treat took place last year and it was crumpets in the staff room and an overweight teacher walking down the corridor with a plate of said crumpets said to me
"tony have you had some crumpets?"
"Thanks but no i can't eat them" i replied (i'm coeliac and diabetic)
"i sometimes wish i couldn't" came the reply........

Just briefly i understood the desire to murder someone..........only briefly of course.....

Tony
I fully understand these frustrations, but feel we do need to be a little less touchy in some respects. Up until very recently diabetics were not advised to adopt a low carb diet, therefore bread, crackers and crumpets were perfectly fine for a diabetic person to consume as part of their diet. The only no-go would have been chocolate/sweet cakes and biscuits or full sugar drinks. We cannot expect members of the public to understand these recent, finer points, especially if they have had little or no experience of diabetes. Not eating crumpets as a diabetic is personal choice - not something governed by the condition.

Reactions: Posytoes

Posytoes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
Peas
I fully understand these frustrations, but feel we do need to be a little less touchy in some respects. Up until very recently diabetics were not advised to adopt a low carb diet, therefore bread, crackers and crumpets were perfectly fine for a diabetic person to consume as part of their diet. The only no-go would have been chocolate/sweet cakes and biscuits or full sugar drinks. We cannot expect members of the public to understand these recent, finer points, especially if they have had little or no experience of diabetes. Not eating crumpets as a diabetic is personal choice - not something governed by the condition.
You took the words right out of my mouth! Instead of taking offence, why don't people try to pass on a bit of knowledge about their diabetes and how it affects their lives? Even people who've known you for years might not actually understand the complexities of our diet and, if you jump down their throats every time they get it wrong, how will they ever learn? Along the same lines, I always remember my grandmother saying to me 'I know you're vegetarian but you can still eat chicken, can't you?'.

clareb1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Mean people, cruelty to vulnerable people and animals. Ignorance of what the human race is doing to our planet. Arrogance and selfishness.
That reminds me.... I was at training for my old job and the tutor actually told us that an insulin dependent diabetic should be given an injection of insulin when they are having a hypo. Scary. I was with workmates who were aware that I was insulin dependent (at that time) so everyone looked at me as if I'd been getting it wrong rather than the tutor. She was quite put out when I put her right - like it was my fault she looked an idiot.
I have had similar experiences throughout my life. When I was age 15 at school, I did a talk on diabetes to my class as part of an English assignment. The whole class was really interested apart from one student who interrupted my talk by telling me I was incorrect. She said there are two types of diabetic, one who cannot eat anything sweet and the other type who have to eat lots of sweet food! I tried to explain that this was part of the same condition as diabetes was all about balance, but sometimes BG could go up or drop too low. She still told me I was wrong, despite me telling her that I had been a diabetic for 3 years at that point and had experienced both high and low BG. I gave up in the end....

Reactions: Eldorado and Sibyl

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I fully understand these frustrations, but feel we do need to be a little less touchy in some respects. Up until very recently diabetics were not advised to adopt a low carb diet, there bread, crackers and crumpets were perfectly fine for a diabetic person to consume as part of their diet. The only no-go would have been chocolate/sweet cakes and biscuits or full sugar drinks. We cannot expect members of the public to understand these recent, finer points, especially if they have had little or no experience of diabetes. Not eating crumpets as a diabetic is personal choice - not something governed by the condition.
Like any condition. I ask people and treat everyone the same. There choice whether their condition has restrictions. Their choice, not mine....however why do some people try and make you feel bad about your healthy choices? Jealous? Some haven't the same reason to keep healthy or the WILL power. If your life depends on something, look how determined you get. You are telling people your precious life is worth fighting for. Some peoples self esteem fights your will power just to mess you up. Its very sad!

Reactions: AM1874

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
That reminds me.... I was at training for my old job and the tutor actually told us that an insulin dependent diabetic should be given an injection of insulin when they are having a hypo. Scary. I was with workmates who were aware that I was insulin dependent (at that time) so everyone looked at me as if I'd been getting it wrong rather than the tutor. She was quite put out when I put her right - like it was my fault she looked an idiot.
I had that too @Chook and i was pregnant! She would have killed me and my baby. I told her categorically not to touch my insulin, just call an ambulance. She was itching to do an injection. I did my injections in private as I'm a none fuss person. I wasn't close enough to her to share injection times with.

jspetch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I went to Starbucks a while ago and ordered a coffee. The barista asked if I'd like syrup. I politely declined. She persisted saying "caramel, almond maybe" so I thought I'd put an end to it and said I'm diabetic and don't like syrup. Her response "Would you like some cake then " I'm guessing there's a training issue there!!

Reactions: Eldorado

Coops84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
but why can't you eat it if you've your rapid acting insulin. That's why we carb count.
I've been type 1 for a year, I've been on a month course to set my carb to insulin ratio. I eat everything I want. However, have a much healthier diet, but we don't have to deny ourselves.
I'm always between 5-7 blood glucose level.
My HBA1C is 50. Was as low as 40 at one point, but that was too low. Type 2 have to watch what they eat. We don't have to...

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
but why can't you eat it if you've your rapid acting insulin. That's why we carb count.

Exactly you can if you want to - we all have a choice if we take quick acting insulin to calculate the carbs and take the insulin.

However for me personally there's a few other things I have to consider first, so if I test first and any higher than 9mmol/l then I will then decide if I want to wait until i'm back below 7 mmol/l before having a treat, then if I do want the treat I tend to bolus 20 minutes beforehand to try and avoid the spike, my personal issue is that if I run higher than 12 mmol/l then I have to take a higher bolus to correct.. and so ultimately is it worth it, and that's the point where I generally decline the offer :rolleyes:

Reactions: Diane fluteplayer

Coops84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Agreed! I know I shouldn't let it get to me or take it personally but it does annoy me when people say 'are you "allowed" that?' when talking about something sweet...

I get that too. I had a smoothie with grapes, was told, "diabetics aren't allowed grapes"
Maybe type 2, but I can (as long as I carb count )

Reactions: ickihun

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been type 1 for a year, I've been on a month course to set my carb to insulin ratio. I eat everything I want. However, have a much healthier diet, but we don't have to deny ourselves.
I'm always between 5-7 blood glucose level.
My HBA1C is 50. Was as low as 40 at one point, but that was too low. Type 2 have to watch what they eat. We don't have to...

Hi Coops84, unfortunately some of us Type 1s find it quite hard to eat what we want and maintain such good sugars. It tends to get more difficult as the Honeymoon period wears off. But everyone's body is different; some people's sugars are simply more predictable than others'.

Reactions: Sibyl

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Absolutely. We all have varying levels of carbs that suit us, and it's up to the individual how many carbs a day they eat.

The advice is to not eat excessive carbs not to eat minimal carbs. For Type 2s, their choices may be different.

Coops84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Exactly you can if you want to - we all have a choice if we take quick acting insulin to calculate the carbs and take the insulin.

However for me personally there's a few other things I have to consider first, so if I test first and any higher than 9mmol/l then I will then decide if I want to wait until i'm back below 7 mmol/l before having a treat, then if I do want the treat I tend to bolus 20 minutes beforehand to try and avoid the spike, my personal issue is that if I run higher than 12 mmol/l then I have to take a higher bolus to correct.. and so ultimately is it worth it, and that's the point where I generally decline the offer :rolleyes:
I decline mainly due to not wanting to gain weight :)
If I'm higher than 7, I'll still eat, but my machine will include the correction, and all will be well. I don't tend to spike too high.
We all know what works for us.
The NHS course (which was a trial in our area) was excellent, but funding was an issue.
Thoroughly recommend it. I'm a newbie, but there were people with diabetes from 30+ years, and they learnt a lot of new tricks and techniques.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
We all know what works for us.

Absolutely spot on - we are all different and unique, it's a personal decision to make, it doesn't mean you have to deny the odd treat, just evaluate if you can manage it. Ultimately it's our decision and not someone elses to make though ;)

Reactions: Jaylee

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've been type 1 for a year, I've been on a month course to set my carb to insulin ratio. I eat everything I want.

Reading the OP post they would rather decline the offer than bolus for the offering, but the choice to accept or not is a personal decision, there's no rights or wrongs about it @Coops84 :)