LCHF after gall bladder removal

MrsHutt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
I am sure my question has been answered somewhere on here, but just need a bit of reassurance! I have been on LCHF for a good while and find my numbers are great - I feel fine except for the occasional pain from gall stones and other 'tummy troubles'. I am due to have my gall bladder out shortly and have read of various post-op side effects (including weight gain :arghh: ) and continuing pain etc.

I am wondering if anyone here is continuing successfully with LCHF after gall bladder removal??

Thanks x

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
I am sure my question has been answered somewhere on here, but just need a bit of reassurance! I have been on LCHF for a good while and find my numbers are great - I feel fine except for the occasional pain from gall stones and other 'tummy troubles'. I am due to have my gall bladder out shortly and have read of various post-op side effects (including weight gain :arghh: ) and continuing pain etc.

I am wondering if anyone here is continuing successfully with LCHF after gall bladder removal??

Thanks x
Hi, @MrsHutt
I started LCHF after I had my gall bladder removed. Initially, I didn't get the balance quite right, having misunderstood and had rather too much cream, and cheese. That caused some rather urgent bathroom visits. Eventually I settled into low carb with moderate fat. By this I mean, less of the cream, certainly no bullet proof coffee for breakfast. I do use full fat yogurt and milk, butter or olive oil on vegetables, and coconut oil in curries and stir fries. Happily eat the fat on meat too, with no digestive problems.
I did gain weight at the start, but I had been immobile for about 18 months as the gall bladder surgery was carried out prior to another major surgical procedure. (Nothing to do with the gall bladder problem, just that the diseased gall bladder was going to cause problems if left). I have no pain from the gall baladder site, in fact the surgery solved the pain and sickness I had been having.
Good luck with the surgery, hope you make a speedy recovery.

Reactions: MrsHutt

Streety

Type of diabetes
LADA
Having my gall bladder removed was a really good thing for me.
I was prediabetic at the time but didn't know it so was carrying some weight.
I lost weight initially, then gained about a year later.

I had no problem with the consumption of fatty food, although I built up to that and I LCHF
now. However, I do know people that really have to watch what they eat after their op and ongoing.

I would agree with the first poster. See how you go, listen to your body and know your limits.
I'd be very surprised if you can't LCHF.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @Streety like the other posters I have had my gall bladder removed and follow a LCHF diet without any problems at all. Good luck with your operation.:)

Lampman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my gallbladder removed in 2010, and I have had no problems eating anything since, just freedom from pain and sickness. It seems from all the replies, you will be ok with an LCHF diet. Good luck with your op!

MrsHutt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had my gallbladder removed in 2010, and I have had no problems eating anything since, just freedom from pain and sickness. It seems from all the replies, you will be ok with an LCHF diet. Good luck with your op!

Thank you - I am now more hopeful! My current symptoms are almost constant nausea and occasional griping pains down near the gall bladder. It is the nausea that's making my life a misery, so I'm looking forward to that going, HOPEFULLY!

MrsHutt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello @Streety like the other posters I have had my gall bladder removed and follow a LCHF diet without any problems at all. Good luck with your operation.:)

Thank you - a couple of positive replies have cheered me up! I will carry on ;)