HbA1C Yesterday

Pogel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,
I got my results today from my HbA1C yesterday. I wasn't as worried as I was last time. It is 5.4 down from 5.7 two months ago. When diagnosed in October I was 13.8.
I am really happy with that as I have been working hard at it. The diabetic assistant that I see is really supportive of me not taking any medication and is really interested in how I am eating and losing weight.

I have an appointment to speak to the diabetic nurse about my results. I wonder what she will have to say as she was not very supportive of my no medication decision, she was trying to press me to take metformin or put my name down for bariatric surgery.

Thanks again to all of you here for your support and direction, without you and my wonderful support network at home I would have been taking a different route now.

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That is excellent. An HbA1c to be proud of. Why on earth would anyone want you on medication with results like that? It beggars belief.

Reactions: Pogel and Ultramum

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
she was trying to press me to take metformin or put my name down for bariatric surgery.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08mf976/obesity-how-prejudiced-is-the-nhs - I don't know if you caught this program. It was interesting (only interesting, to be filed in the back of my brain somewhere, if there's room) that even one of the surgeons was suggesting that it's for diabetes not obesity. I'm tempted but feel that having made life style changes many years ago, the medical profession should tell me why I am the way I am, ie overweight. Bypass surgery doesn't seem to "cure" the problem just change the circumstances so that the body is working in a different way, and introduces a whole raft of other "problems".

I looked into the gastric band years ago and as a way of just reducing calories it was not for me, I was doing that without the cost of surgery. I later was referred for consideration for surgery as a box ticking exercise, something that had to be done before progressing to the next stage. I now have a lovely letter from the NHS which says I have a weight problem and not an eating problem and that my BMI isn't high enough for surgery anyway.

Glad to see you're doing well with your new regime, keep up the good work.

Reactions: Pogel and Prem51

Pogel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is excellent. An HbA1c to be proud of. Why on earth would anyone want you on medication with results like that? It beggars belief.

It was the diabetes nurse I saw back in Nov that wanted me on Metformin, even though there had already been a change in my blood levels. I didn't understand it and just firmly said no, I'm giving myself a chance to make changes. I am quite looking forward to seeing her next week :)

Reactions: Prem51