Those on lchf, does your blanket smell different from before you started?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If your body goes into a state of ketosis and starts to burn body fat then this can result in an acetone smell (like nail polish remover) in your breath, sweat and urine.
I don't know about smell, but I occasionally get quite a distinctive ( and not unpleasant) taste in my mouth. I can't comment on whether it's like acetone as I've never actually consumed any nail polish remover, and my sense of smell often leaves much to be desired! I've also seen it referred to as being like pear drops, but I've never eaten them either....

The taste can last from a few hours to several days, but it's not necessarily always been related to my measured breath ketone levels. :wideyed:

Robbity

Reactions: kimrooney89

tinyfilosofer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
PS Just a thought: Perhaps diabetic alert dogs should now also be trained to sniff out this new type of pongy ketone flavoured bedding too? :wideyed:

I'm not sure if she isn't already doing it. She alerts me before I go full hypo. I've been wondering what she was smelling. Now I'm suspecting she's started to associate one smell that comes right before hypo smell. Wondering if this could be it.

tinyfilosofer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
LOL a very unusual title and the information is unusual too, could you elaborate on this fascinating subject...........please.

I'm equally shocked and fascinated to read the article. A few angles I'm coming from

1. My doc says my lantus is too high and I must be having hypo all the time at night. I couldn't be sure of that
2. I realized my blanket or comforter or duvet smells differently after I started being a type 1. It doesn't smell bad. Just different. Kind of sweet actually so I'm not sure if I'm leaking excess sugar or what, which prompted my research in the first place.
3. If there's some truth in this article, I see a new way to train alert dogs, which is to catch ketosis and alert before actual Low. Which my dog is already doing, but I'm trying to find out whether she is alerting based on ketosis.

The best people I thought to verify this info are the lchfers because ketosis is part of the desired effect of the program? Hence the question. Admittedly it was typed in haste as I stumbled upon the article at a bus stop and wanted to send it out before I forgot about it when the bus arrived. Not intended to offend.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
3. If there's some truth in this article, I see a new way to train alert dogs, which is to catch ketosis and alert before actual Low. Which my dog is already doing, but I'm trying to find out whether she is alerting based on ketosis.

Ketosis and low blood sugar aren't related, they are at the opposite end of the spectrum, or if you are in nutritional ketosis this is just going to exist all the time, low or not. Are you actually low carbing and in nutritional ketosis?

High and low blood sugar do have a scent. That's what diabetic alert dogs are alerting to. Whether it's a scent that a person would notice is up for debate.

Maybe you should do some basal testing to see about night time hypos.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I haven't had a bath for about 10 years... hate the things..
I used to like having a long soak in the bath, but now I sort of begrudge the time it takes. I usually only have before I go on a long flight on holiday to relax myself.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm equally shocked and fascinated to read the article. A few angles I'm coming from

1. My doc says my lantus is too high and I must be having hypo all the time at night. I couldn't be sure of that
2. I realized my blanket or comforter or duvet smells differently after I started being a type 1. It doesn't smell bad. Just different. Kind of sweet actually so I'm not sure if I'm leaking excess sugar or what, which prompted my research in the first place.

The best people I thought to verify this info are the lchfers because ketosis is part of the desired effect of the program? Hence the question. Admittedly it was typed in haste as I stumbled upon the article at a bus stop and wanted to send it out before I forgot about it when the bus arrived. Not intended to offend.
Thank you @tinyfilosofer for further clarification.
As this topic is now confirmed as a serious topic regarding ketosis, I am asking other members to stop the jokes and address the topic of ketosis, please.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

@tinyfilosofer Then you're asking about a different smell with low sugars not low carb. Would you like me to move your thread to Ask A Question for you?

Reactions: Ultramum

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This may be going off topic slightly or even a lot lol - there is something in the change of body odour - dogs trained to spot seizures and similar are trained by the subtle changes in body odour,

My son not diabetic in any shape or form but has autism- when he was little and used to have massive meltdowns would omit a smell of sweet almonds - it was one of the ways I could detect wether it was a real me,tdown or just a temper tantrum because he couldn't have his own way.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Back on topic .. are you taking any other medication .. as a friend of mine was complaining of almost the same thing a while back and it was one of the tablets he was taking causing the unpleasant oder on his bedclothes .. sadly I cannot remember the name of the tablets .. but he is T2

Reactions: Ultramum

tinyfilosofer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Back on topic .. are you taking any other medication .. as a friend of mine was complaining of almost the same thing a while back and it was one of the tablets he was taking causing the unpleasant oder on his bedclothes .. sadly I cannot remember the name of the tablets .. but he is T2

Just insulin

tinyfilosofer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
This may be going off topic slightly or even a lot lol - there is something in the change of body odour - dogs trained to spot seizures and similar are trained by the subtle changes in body odour,

My son not diabetic in any shape or form but has autism- when he was little and used to have massive meltdowns would omit a smell of sweet almonds - it was one of the ways I could detect wether it was a real me,tdown or just a temper tantrum because he couldn't have his own way.

Very observant parent!