Overwhelmed.

ttait

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes my first year at Uni (now 3rd) and until now it really hasn't bothered me that much, honestly I never really believed it and kind of just hoped it would go away! Now though things are starting to hit me that this things for life and is a legit serious condition and that freaks the sh*t of me! Anyone else go through this?

JamesC1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I ignored it for the first year after my diagnosis, swiped it aside and hoped it'd go away. Then I discovered that I couldn't serve as a soldier in the army, it hit me a bit more then. I think everyone goes through it to some extent or another, it's just difficult to believe that your body works fine one minute then doesn't the next.

ttait

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I ignored it for the first year after my diagnosis, swiped it aside and hoped it'd go away. Then I discovered that I couldn't serve as a soldier in the army, it hit me a bit more then. I think everyone goes through it to some extent or another, it's just difficult to believe that your body works fine one minute then doesn't the next.
Yeah I get that, just feels strange thinking of 4 injections a day for the rest of my life!

Mugwump

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Pump
I don't have T1 (I care for a T1) so can't imagine what it must feel like to go through the diagnosis, but I can definitely appreciate what you are feeling. I will just tell you that the important thing is you've realised that its a serious condition, which is great - it is definitely a big step. Are your uni aware of your T1? I believe you are entitled to extra support, and they should make allowances for hypo treatments in exams, etc.

Reactions: Ymdawd

ttait

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't have T1 (I care for a T1) so can't imagine what it must feel like to go through the diagnosis, but I can definitely appreciate what you are feeling. I will just tell you that the important thing is you've realised that its a serious condition, which is great - it is definitely a big step. Are your uni aware of your T1? I believe you are entitled to extra support, and they should make allowances for hypo treatments in exams, etc.
They're not, I wasn't aware they could do anything so didn't feel the need to disclose it. Luckily I have not had a hypo during an exam however, I think ill bring it up. Thanks!

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes my first year at Uni (now 3rd) and until now it really hasn't bothered me that much, honestly I never really believed it and kind of just hoped it would go away! Now though things are starting to hit me that this things for life and is a legit serious condition and that freaks the sh*t of me! Anyone else go through this?
I've been in hospital twice for the same thing. I have tried to live like others, and it comes with a high price. Don't make that mistake, diabetes can be very unforgiving.

Reactions: Ymdawd and JamesC1

JamesC1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I get that, just feels strange thinking of 4 injections a day for the rest of my life!
Maybe try looking at an insulin pump. I started on one not too long ago, it's been amazing.

ttait

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe try looking at an insulin pump. I started on one not too long ago, it's been amazing.

I've thought about one but have been told I'm not eligible as I don't carb count yet

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've thought about one but have been told I'm not eligible as I don't carb count yet

Have they also offered to teach you how to carb count with a DAFNE course? 2 years into diagnosis you should have had carb counting explained by your DSN by now - ask them to teach you.

In the meantime, there's an NHS course free online that you can access and teach yourself - https://www.bertieonline.org.uk

I'd also suggest the book "think like a pancreas" as a great guide on the basics of what you need to know to manage type 1.

Yes it is a serious condition that youre stuck with for life, but if you've got the knowledge to manage it you can put diabetes in a box and take it along while you get on with your life rather than letting it take over.

Reactions: JamesC1 and Bon83

megdowney407

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I completely feel the same way. Over the last year I consistently cycle through a few weeks where I'm decently diligent about things then I go a month where I at least try to remember to take Lantus every day, if not anything else. My not caring streak usually ends when I start to think about complications and the seriousness and I become super anxious. It sucks a ton, and I think being diagnosed as a "young adult" makes it a lot harder. Our lives are a little crazy and having a totally strict schedule that allows you to eat at the same time every day is not something we are entirely familiar with.

I wish I had a light at the end of the tunnel moment for you, but I think you've been living with t1 longer than I have. Definitely know you are not alone in your feelings.

Reactions: ttait and Bon83