Hypo frequency against severity

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Everyone

Just recovering from a hypo...my first in a few weeks and it's knocked my socks off! I was only at 3.3 and nearly needing a good sit down.
Do you guys find the less you have a hypo, the more severe it is when you have one?
And also, have you developed new symptoms as time has gone on? I now cry! For absolutely no reason at all. Quite embarrassing

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My symptoms have stayed about the same. Funny, but some lows feel pretty bad, and some I feel a bit euphoric, kind of good. Those are more of concern because I might just put up with it longer as a result and risk "the point of no return" where I get too confused to help myself. That almost never happens anymore. I usually feel something at 3.3 but am fully functional, no one but me would notice anything.

DiabeticDadUK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Everyone

Just recovering from a hypo...my first in a few weeks and it's knocked my socks off! I was only at 3.3 and nearly needing a good sit down.
Do you guys find the less you have a hypo, the more severe it is when you have one?
And also, have you developed new symptoms as time has gone on? I now cry! For absolutely no reason at all. Quite embarrassing

Hope you're feeling a bit better now. 3.3 is urgent enough for me! I don't remember being emotional over a hypo apart from when I was a child but it can be an overwhelming experience.

The only symptom change for me is the loss of shaking. I still feel the same "in the head" as I did in 1984 when the low kicks in

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Was the hypo soon after eating (with active insulin on board)?

If so the hypo can feel much worse as your bg can be dropping quite fast @Lynz84 and it can knock you for six.

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hope you're feeling a bit better now. 3.3 is urgent enough for me! I don't remember being emotional over a hypo apart from when I was a child but it can be an overwhelming experience.

The only symptom change for me is the loss of shaking. I still feel the same "in the head" as I did in 1984 when the low kicks in
Recovering a good bit now thanks!! The tearyness is so new, literally the last few months but im not even crying over anything lol look like a proper loon!

Reactions: DiabeticDadUK

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
i used to have teary "episodes" a good few years ago in the mid 3's -but felt that way a few minutes after treating the initial hypo -- as though the tears were partly an "after effect" of the initial hypo. - if that makes sense

I think crying is actually good for the soul -- it makes us feel very human and empathetic to all those around us that we may not even know but who may need those tears to help them heal ( no I am not hypo now )

Mugwump

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Pump
Obviously I have no idea what it actually feels like (I'm a carer), but from what I hear from my T1 I think it has a lot to do with how quickly the BG has dropped. There are a few tears sometimes as well! Sometimes she is absolutely fine into the low 3's/high 2's, and at other times I can spot the signs of going low when she is around the high 4's....luckily hypos are relatively rare at the moment.

I hope you are recovering and feel better - I can only try to understand what recovering from a hypo must feel like so can only offer virtual hugs!

JamesC1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find that my symptoms are worse after not having one for a while, can't say it's a bad thing though, it indicates better control (unless your sugars are higher instead). I hear that drastic mood changes are not uncommon.

Reactions: Sibyl

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My hypos haven't changed a lot over 32 years, but within the range of Special Effects I get tears, yes, and euphoria too like @TheBigNewt (which I explain to myself as being glad I'm not hyper for once!). I also get icy-cold sometimes. I would say that hypos are never now as frightening as they were when I was newly diagnosed and felt like my world had ended and that I was in some post-apocalyptic wilderness! I catch them more expertly now.
I hope you're feeling better, @Lynz84? Maybe the tears are a sign of relaxation after the stress of the hypo?

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My hypos haven't changed a lot over 32 years, but within the range of Special Effects I get tears, yes, and euphoria too like @TheBigNewt (which I explain to myself as being glad I'm not hyper for once!). I also get icy-cold sometimes. I would say that hypos are never now as frightening as they were when I was newly diagnosed and felt like my world had ended and that I was in some post-apocalyptic wilderness! I catch them more expertly now.
I hope you're feeling better, @Lynz84? Maybe the tears are a sign of relaxation after the stress of the hypo?
Feeling much better now thank you!!! Im intrigued by this euphoria you guys speak of. Ive never heard of anything like it!

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
God yes I sometimes get teary and emotional. I hate hypos, they always feel horrendous so I fend them off as much as I can using the libre.
I might cry or if you try and talk to me while I'm having one, I might well tell you where to go! Honestly the rage! Afterwards I just want to sleep for half an hr so having them at work is not ideal!
Once I had a really bad one, had my glucose and thought 'ooh chocolate, just 3 pieces'. Hmmm bad idea, next thing I'm holding the empty wrapper of a 100g bar of chocolate with a hazy recollection of eating it.
I now stay away from anything nice as I can't control myself!

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Feeling much better now thank you!!! Im intrigued by this euphoria you guys speak of. Ive never heard of anything like it!
I find that if I'm out walking, maybe on the golf course (usually play by myself, walk 9 holes) as I gradually get closer to low it becomes a bit surreal, dreamlike. I physically feel OK and play OK much of the time. So I sometimes just play on until I hit a crummy shot, then correct. Sometimes I hit a crummy shot right from the start and feel lousy. I think it has to do with how quickly my BS drops. I carry a meter in my bag now. I've never gone unconscious on the course. But it's a place I have to be careful with.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Actually it's medically established that frequent hypos cause most people to become less aware of hypo symptoms. And the reverse is true as well, although sometimes sugars have to be quite high for a while to achieve this.

I have always hated hypos (they feel like there is a 'Dementor' in the room) but these days they can trigger intense depression so I work insanely hard to avoid them. Probably down to one every 2 months.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just sitting coming back up from a 3.2 (bother, I wanted an early night ) which has given me a new symptom of momentary blurry vision after standing up. My heart is racing as well.

If they come on more gradually I can sometimes catch them because I get shaky hands around 4. I don't find myself getting emotional but irritability is definitely there for me until I come out of it.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I will always test if I suddenly feel like crying - that's often my first sign of a hypo.

I spent a large part of yesterday afternoon in the 2s thanks to a carb counting miscalculation at lunchtime. I eat low carb, but yesterday I had some carby sweetcorn soup, which I though was 40g CHO (turns out it was 25g - oooops). I had way more insulin than I needed to cover it!

I don't have anything like the number of hypos I used to have pre-low-carb and pre-pump. But I don't think they've changed, per se.

An interesting question, @Lynz84 .

:)

Reactions: himtoo

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I will always test if I suddenly feel like crying - that's often my first sign of a hypo.

I spent a large part of yesterday afternoon in the 2s thanks to a carb counting miscalculation at lunchtime. I eat low carb, but yesterday I had some carby sweetcorn soup, which I though was 40g CHO (turns out it was 25g - oooops). I had way more insulin than I needed to cover it!

I don't have anything like the number of hypos I used to have pre-low-carb and pre-pump. But I don't think they've changed, per se.

An interesting question, @Lynz84 .

:)
This has only recently started with me lol all of a sudden this need to cry!! Well whatever the body needs to do to warn us!

Reactions: Snapsy

onehand

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i have horrific hypos and usually have a fit i went to bed on 10 then the paramedics told me i was only 1.6 when i eventually came round plus i then spend the next 2 days with very high sugars around 16-28 diabetes is the worst ever i just want to die most of time and I've been diabetic since birth with type 1

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Lynz84 . Over the years my hypo symptoms have changed a lot.
When I first started using novorapid was probably the worst time. When my sugars went low I became very confused and aggressive to the point I would have to leave the house for fear of hurting my loved ones. I'm not an aggressive person and these hypos scared me sh****ss (excuse the language). Fortunately these type of hypos passed by after a while.
I wish they would have been teary ones.:):):):)

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Lynz84 . Over the years my hypo symptoms have changed a lot.
When I first started using novorapid was probably the worst time. When my sugars went low I became very confused and aggressive to the point I would have to leave the house for fear of hurting my loved ones. I'm not an aggressive person and these hypos scared me sh****ss (excuse the language). Fortunately these type of hypos passed by after a while.
I wish they would have been teary ones.:):):):)
My goodness that sounds horrific!!! Im glad that has changed a bit. I did used to get angry when I was low but I get quite grumpy when Im hungry (hangry) so hard to tell sometimes lol

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
i have horrific hypos and usually have a fit i went to bed on 10 then the paramedics told me i was only 1.6 when i eventually came round plus i then spend the next 2 days with very high sugars around 16-28 diabetes is the worst ever i just want to die most of time and I've been diabetic since birth with type 1
That sounds horrendous!!! Has this improved a lot for you?