slight retinopathy

lanzlady

Hi,

anyone know if diabetic retinopathy can be cured or is it just treatable? My Docotor said it can be rectified but I am reading different on the web any answers from anyone who has this complication. I have slight diabetic signs of retinopathy only been dx nearly 6 months have also read that it takes around 10 years of having high blood sugars although I have been tested for D in the last 13 years as my late mam had type 2 and all my tests came back negative.
:?

Very confused
Lanzlady

Shax72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey Hey,

I had retinopathy a number of years back....had the surgery which was the worst thing I have endured as a diabetic.... Every so often I get the "spider effect" in one eye- my right, significantly the weaker eye as it had most shots of lazer........ After a while it disappears. Irresponsible ? maybe... just scared of going !!!! Dont let my experience put you off tho - technology evolves daily.... I'm talking close to 10 yrs ago.

Always best to get things sorted - I have found that out in recent weeks - its not nice, but just another thing associated with diabetes.....

Best of luck

Richard157

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Rude members who tend to chase others away, trolls who pretend to be something they are not.
Lanzlady, I don't understand. If your tests for D are negative, how can you have diabetic retinopathy?

i had mild retinopathy diagnosed several years ago. My A1c had been below 6.0 for severl years prior, but i was having many highs and lows. Highs and lows can compensate for each other and still produce a good BG average and A1C. The shock to the body of changing from high to low to high to low.... over a long period of time can cause diabetes complications. Research has shown this to be true. I tightened my control and started using an insulin pump. I started having very few highs and lows. The retinopathy, and also some neuropathy, disappeared. i have had no diabetes complications for the last three years. If you do not pump, it is still possible to have steady control while using injections.

lanzlady

Hi Richard,

I was DX Jan 22nd this year I am D/E only sorry I should have made my posting clearer.

Lanzlady
Type 2