Type 2 Type 2

Lizzy Loo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sugar levels. An hour after gym took my readings 4.4. Had an apple & few grapes. 15 minutes after took reading 4.0. Thought that's not right. Used a different finger 4.4. Took a finger on the other hand 4.8. How can there be different readings in each finger. Or is it a sign my meter is playing up don't understand. Got a freedom lite meter.

plutoniumcard

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You have a normal range of readings. These portable devices are never going to be as accurate as a £10000 hospital lab machine. There are variations from strip to strip, and sample to sample. Build that in to your personal meter and you have a reading of x +/- y. Your readings imply approx 10 % variability i.e. 4.4 +/- 0.4. That is to say 4.0 to 4.8 with the true value being somewhere between the upper and lower value (not necessarily in the exact middle.).

Hope that helps?

Cheers

Tony

Reactions: Lizzy Loo

jayantilal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You have a normal range of readings. These portable devices are never going to be as accurate as a £10000 hospital lab machine. There are variations from strip to strip, and sample to sample. Build that in to your personal meter and you have a reading of x +/- y. Your readings imply approx 10 % variability i.e. 4.4 +/- 0.4. That is to say 4.0 to 4.8 with the true value being somewhere between the upper and lower value (not necessarily in the exact middle.).

Hope that helps?

Cheers

Tony
I would get little worries at reading of 4 as I think 7 is average reading. The government is minimizing the strips prescription and it is a luxury to test oneself again and again for rechecking which waists the strips. I would it a chocolate biscuit or a twist or a wispa par to bring my reading up and feeling of well being. As a after thought I like to add that price of some items varies in the Tesco and other stores same as different fingers having different readings. I notice that even the blood pressure meters varies its readings in few minutes time depending on the mental state.

plutoniumcard

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. Just to be clear I was only commenting on the accuracy of the meters. Jayantilal is correct that 4 is on the low side, and I would expect you would need a little sugar lift to get it back up in the 5 - 7 range. My experience is one jelly baby is enough!!

Lizzy Loo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hope that helps?

Cheers

Tony

Thank you tony only struggling with readings after gym. Just a lot of up and down. Every day is going to be different. I worry when I hit the 3.7 mark

Lizzy Loo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would get little worries at reading of 4 as I think 7 is average reading. The government is minimizing the strips prescription and it is a luxury to test oneself again and again for rechecking which waists the strips. I would it a chocolate biscuit or a twist or a wispa par to bring my reading up and feeling of well being. As a after thought I like to add that price of some items varies in the Tesco and other stores same as different fingers having different readings. I notice that even the blood pressure meters varies its readings in few minutes time depending on the mental state.

Thank you I am still learning. But have been a diabetic for 8 years. But after changing my gym things have changed. I also have less stress so maybe that has helped to lower them as well

Lizzy Loo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. Just to be clear I was only commenting on the accuracy of the meters. Jayantilal is correct that 4 is on the low side, and I would expect you would need a little sugar lift to get it back up in the 5 - 7 range. My experience is one jelly baby is enough!!

Thank you I do worry when I'm under 4.0

Lizzy Loo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How do you feel when you are that level?
Are you taking any drugs that lower blood glucose readings?

Yes I'm on metformin and glicazide. I feel ok in myself it's the gym that is lowering sugars. Spoke to Diatician she said I was eating the right foods. Just top up with a few mouthfuls of lucozade before gym. But don't like doing that. But carry it incase for emergencies.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So take lucozade to counteract the effect of the medication?
Or to put it another way ingest sugar to counteract the effect of the sugar lowering medication you are taking... sounds a bit topsy turvy to me.. wouldn't it be better to reduce the medication?
I'm no doctor and can't give you medical advice but maybe ask the dietician if that really makes sense next time you see them.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmm - you are eating and drinking sugar in order to counter the effects of the tablets you are swallowing as they are pushing you down towards hypo levels.
Personally I'd rather let my body have control and let it release glucose as required - a much more normal situation.

Lizzy Loo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So take lucozade to counteract the effect of the medication?
Or to put it another way ingest sugar to counteract the effect of the sugar lowering medication you are taking... sounds a bit topsy turvy to me.. wouldn't it be better to reduce the medication?
I'm no doctor and can't give you medical advice but maybe ask the dietician if that really makes sense next time you see them.

Will check with drs but sugars only low when exercise. Diatician said it wasn't the glicazide cause it is taken in evening and not morning. But if I worry will ask for more checks