Down the rabbit hole...

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep, read up quite extensively on the forum just after I was diagnosed and had intended to post before now but thought I had a grip on things...!
However, I'm now of the opinion that I need to hit the LCHF approach. Issue being is that I've also been advised that my cholesterol has increased as well
Just a thought @Skinto McGinto do you take statins for your cholesterol as they can affect BS?

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear Skinto,

Love your nickname, don't understand your avatar. Love caviar, all kinds, even fresh, and yet what does sausage have to do with caviar? Are you putting caviar in a sausage or are you making the caviar of sausages?

Anyway, I've gotta believe that a lot of what happens to us in blood sugars spiking land is genetic and that diet and other environmental factors are only a piece of the puzzle because I, unlike a lot of folks, actually had quite a number of fasting glucose tests over the years, because my maternal uncle had died blind of complications of diabetes, so I was aiming to see if I followed suit since I had a lot of other ancestral gifts along with getting nuked and other life happenings. I made it a long while and then, like you, whammo, I was Type 2 like you. There are a lot of variations on the themes of diabetes and some of them are variations on type two or 1 1/2 or 3 or whatever. Sometimes other co-morbidities complicate and sometimes some other change. It's a puzzle withoiut only one fix, I think, so it is nice we have this forum to talk about what we are going through on an ongoing basis while we attempt to do our best, given whatever new research.
Ha! Cheers-was a sticker on a wall I saw when in Berlin a few years ago! I agree with you re how every case is different yet linked, I just wish the goalposts would stop moving for a change. No quick fix, just need to keep tinkering every so often to try and get by. Just needed a wee bit of support yesterday, thanks to you and others that responded as it has made my day...!

doctorjazz

If your symptoms came on quickly with prominent weight loss and polyuria at the age of 37 a diagnosis of adult onset type 1 must be considered a strong possibility. Have you had your blood ketones checked? Tests for anti GAD antibodies and C-peptide would be helpful. Have you ever had pancreatitis? If so you could be insulin deficient due to non-immune mediated beta cell loss. Low C-peptide and negative anti GAD would point to that.

Salby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Skinty McGinty,
Welcome. The above members know and advise much more than I ever could. However, I recommend obtaining the service of a diabetic nurse in order to advise best treatment options for you.
I weigh 63 kgs (I'm 44), and actually my GP had me on metformin (conventional drug for diabetes patients) to start with, which was nine years back. However, it was making me lose weight, so wasn't appropriate for me.
Everyone's different.
All the best in the bike race.
Salby.

Reactions: Skinto McGinto

Tom Cosens

I am male, 82 years old with T2. Just like to put in my two penneth ref: Metformin. Ask Doctor for the slow release for a start. Metformin cannot give you an Hypo. As mentioned, it does play havoc with your stomach [very loose] I found that this was worse taking high protein diet. Doctor can give you capsules to ease the windy tummy. A propos your diabetic mother, unfortunately they did not have the sophisticated blood measuring devices as we have now. One advice is not to get stressed out. You will have fluctuations with BS readings. Stay well clear of all deserts, biscuits etc and read every label on food you buy.