Type 1 What's happening to Lucozade?

Jade0106

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone help me to understand what is happening to Lucozade as I've been told it will now be reduced sugar content, I've been using Lucozade for the last thirty seven years and always treat my hypos with it and carry a small bottle around with me everywhere I go, can anyone else help me with this dilemma?
Thanks a worried Jade

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The original Lucozade will still be available as far as I'm aware, its just that they are now doing a Reduced Sugar version as well as a Zero. It's all to do with the Sugar Tax.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The original Lucozade will still be available as far as I'm aware, its just that they are now doing a Reduced Sugar version as well as a Zero. It's all to do with the Sugar Tax.

Not only but also, it is the incoming tax, but the realisation that sugar in such concentration is harmful to most people in the long term!
And adjusting the range to offset the losses from not having a low sugar fizzy drink.

If it wasn't for T1s, it should be banned for children!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It's one of the major contributing causes to my diabetes, along with 2 bananas a day for the potassium.

During chemo, in order to help with the fatigue or so I thought at the time, I was drinking 2 of the smaller bottles a day. My blood test before chemo - non diabetic. My blood test 12 months after that - diabetic.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I always have dextrose tablets with me and have never found the need to have Lucozade around.

DiabeticDadUK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find Ribena and Vimto equally effective for emergency hypo situations, a little childish but both very sugary in original form and not carbonated so less bloating if you need to gulp it fast

Jade0106

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never tried Ribena or Vimto, don't you have to dilute Ribena or does it come already made up?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've never tried Ribena or Vimto, don't you have to dilute Ribena or does it come already made up?

Vimto also comes as a full sugar fizzy drink (but beware as they also do a Zero version).

The party size cans of Coke are handy to treat a hypo, I purchased some Glucojuice last year for the first time and that stuff is extremely fast at bringing you out of a hypo.

Jade0106

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can't stand dextrose tablets or Vimto, but love Ribena xxx
Am I right that I've seen Ribena cartons in supermarkets and how much would I need to treat a hypo? Xxx

D

Deleted member 308541

don't you have to dilute Ribena or does it come already made up?
Casting my mind back close to fifty years ago, I remember drinking Ribena as a hot drink when I had the flu a month before I came to Australia.

A good measure of Ribena topped up with boiling water, and as a variation on the theme a splash of Capn' Morgan rum in it as well.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
They're more or less halving the carb content in some of them from this month. Not sure how long it will take new bottles to start showing up in shops.

But which ones? Had a sketch at their website:
https://www.lrsuntory.com/our-brands/lucozade-energy/

On that page, Lucozade Energy Pink Lemonade flavour, is the same as the bottle I've got in the house just now, 9.7 g of carbs of which 6.8 is sugars, per 100 ml.

But, switch to Lucozade Energy Original flavour: it says 8.9 carbs of which 4.6 sugars per 100 ml. I don't have any Original bottles in the house just now to compare, but my recollection is it was about 17g per 100ml?

So, looks like they've left the Pink Lemonade the same but almost halfed the Original. Bizarre that the "of which sugars" bit is now higher in the Pink Lemonade one than the original!

So, I guess if you use Original, you'll have to take twice as much to get the same amount of carbs.

The page says Lucozade also make Ribena, don't know if they're changing that.GuessI'llbe paying even more attention to labels over the next few months!

Last edited:

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I purchased some Glucojuice last year for the first time and that stuff is extremely fast at bringing you out of a hypo.

Have to agree, @noblehead , that stuff's brilliant! I saw you mentioning it a few times in previous posts, and decided to buy a couple of bottles when I noticed it in a chemist. Liquids are normally such a faff to carry around because of the bottle/carton size but the wee 60ml ones just slip neatly into a side pocket. Normally just chew a few Jelly Belly beans for minor nudges, but there's been a couple of occasions over the last few months when I though, hmm, need something a bit more full on, worked wonderfully. A good bit of insurance to have tucked away.

Reactions: noblehead

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Scott-C
I happen to have a bottle of Lucozade Original in my fridge (from my time on Glipizide) and so I've just checked the content

Carbs - 17g/100ml
of which sugars - 8.7g

So, yes, you are spot on!!! Well done ;)

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Scott-C
I happen to have a bottle of Lucozade Original in my fridge (from my time on Glipizide) and so I've just checked the content

Carbs - 17g/100ml
of which sugars - 8.7g

So, yes, you are spot on!!! Well done ;)

Cheers! Guess it's one of those numbers which welds itself into a T1 head after a while!

Actually, I see now there's a page on this site setting out more details:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blog/2017...ugar-in-lucozade-affect-people-with-diabetes/

Links through to the suntory site confirm it's April 2017for lucozade,but they're going to be messing with Ribena too later in 2017.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Liquids are normally such a faff to carry around because of the bottle/carton size but the wee 60ml ones just slip neatly into a side pocket.

They do fit nicely into a coat pocket @Scott-C , plus the bottles are quite robust and can withstand a few knocks and bumps.