low carb ready made foods and meals

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
The best ready made foods and meals I know are those I have cooked and frozen myself. :D

When we have the energy I work with my husband to bulk cook so that on the days when the energy isn't there then the food is! I know what is in it and it is to our taste - perfect! 8)

Reactions: Ultramum

ditzeeblonde

I don't think the thought of this thread was ready meals to be used everyday... personally the ones I have are back up's in my freezer for times when I'm perhaps running late home & hubby has to cook plus I like to try them & then use the recipes as inspirations for my own cooking.

And of course some of us are incredibly new to this so having a label telling us exactly how many carbs are in it is all a good learning curve.

Nothing wrong with the odd shop bought meal IMO!

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi All,

I had to edit out Edwardia's post and have issued a warning. This isn't about ready meals - it's about treating people with respect. Keep it clean.

Admin

bufferz

was out shopping ths afternoon, and as i hadnt had lunch thought I ould find something i could eat on the hoof, and went for those fridge raider chicken bites, 2.3g carbs per bag, and really tasty too (those were the roast chicken and southern fried flavours)

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Hi Bufferz,
I would go for a pack of ready cooked chicken tikka. Lots more chicken and probably even lower carb!.

Steve.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Shazza said:
My Son sometimes takes the fridge raiders in his packed lunch, quite handy :D

Seen them in service stations and convenience stores, are they tasty and good value for the price?

Nigel

bufferz

I think they are quite nice tbh, and tescos are doing them at half price right now, but as was said above, its probably cheaper to buy a pack of chicken tikka and eat that, but the fridge raiders look less wierd when walking thru a shopping centre!

betic

i think this post needs to get back on track..its about quick ready meals or snacks from supermarkets or forecourts or convenience stores...you know the times when we are in a hurry or caught short and need something quick , low carb and tasty..we know fresh is best but not always possible, so all finds appreciated
i did the ice land shop again today and picked up a chicken carbonara, roast chicken breast slices in a creamy mushroom and cheese sauce with smoked bacon bits, full big tub enough for two (unles your hungary of course) only 7.9 grams of carb and tasted absolutely divine with some frozen cauli florets (tasted like cauli cheese with the sauce poured on top) from the same....yummy :D

Reactions: LidiaS and Ultramum
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi Steve - what is 'fake rice' please. Thanks :)
This is a very old thread. I am guessing he means cauliflower rice - cauliflower florets which are grated or blitzed in a food processor until they resemble grains of rice. The cauli rice can then be stir-fried with herbs and/or spices to make a rice replacement.

Snootybutnice

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is a very old thread. I am guessing he means cauliflower rice - cauliflower florets which are grated or blitzed in a food processor until they resemble grains of rice. The cauli rice can then be stir-fried with herbs and/or spices to make a rice replacement.
Thanks Avocado Sevenfold :) I'm going to try that. I heard that China are making fake plastic rice at the moment which are making people ill so I'm glad it wasn't that LOL!

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Reactions: Snootybutnice

Snootybutnice

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Potteron

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Steve - what is 'fake rice' please. Thanks :)
Think he's referring to rice/pasta/noodles made with Konjac flour. If you go to Holland & Barrett site and put konjac in search it will bring up products they sell. Think it's expensive given has no nutritional value but did try them when H&B had them on 1p offer. Once you rinse them well they have no smell and are tasteless but as vehicle for sauces work OK. If having spag bolt I prefer courgette spaghetti and am happy to eat curry without rice/bread if I also have a veg side dish.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
thought it would be a good idea to post anyones findings of low carb ready made foods.
i have been hunting through tescos and asda and reading the lables like a nutter...
i seem to have most luck in the frozen foods section meals with meats and sauces and curried meats with sauce, but i am in no doubt you low carb hungary shoppers out there must have come across a few gems in your searches!!! please tell us what you have found, as although i like cooked from natural, it is not always possible if you are running late or the wifes out and you fancy something speedy!! i will get my two findings from the freezer tomoz and post what they are...all those i have found have no potatoe or rice or such like in but i had a great chicken, peppers frozen meal which came in a superb sauce which was only about 8 grams carb for the whole tub 375grams...and there was enough sauce to cover my cauli mash as well...really nice :D
Don't put too much faith in the labels, sometimes they can be inaccurate. Trust your own preparation.

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Cauliflower mash is made by boiling cauli florets until soft - draining well (really well) and mashing with butter and cream as you do with potatoes. I like to add some feta cheese too - the resulting mash looks, and almost tastes like mashed potato.
You can do the same with celariac (but its a devil to peel).

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cauliflower mash is made by boiling cauli florets until soft - draining well (really well) and mashing with butter and cream as you do with potatoes. I like to add some feta cheese too - the resulting mash looks, and almost tastes like mashed potato.
You can do the same with celariac (but its a devil to peel).

I sometimes add a teaspoon of wholegrain mustard to my cauli mash... great with sausages

When I do have time to cook I will use my huge slow cooker and make big batches of chilli. lamb tagine etc.. and then freeze in one or two portion containers. I then have my own ready meals when I'm busy.

I haven't seen it lately but Tesco did do a range of curries in their chilled section which came without rice. They were OK in carbs for a quick meal

Last edited:

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Someone on another forum suggested halving it like you do, then standing it peeled side down on the board and cutting it into segments (a bit like you might do with an onion) and then removing the thin strip from the edge. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds a good idea - was this what you meant?
Back to shop bought ready meals - I do find them tasteless though, my husband suggested it may be because the firms that prepare them have become so indoctrinated in the research that too much salt is bad for us that they put hardly any in?
I only have a small slo cooker, must get me a bigger one!