Ice Cream

Grannie75

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been on the LCHF diet for just over 3 months now, the last 6 weeks in Keto ranges so I am doing very well and my blood sugar has dropped below Pre Diabetes now, however I know that if I start to eat the wrong food I will be right back where I started. I know without a doubt that I am not cured but am managing to keep it in check.
I find that recently I am starting to crave a sweet treat but at the moment I am managing to resist falling off the wagon. I have had no sugar or sweetener in coffee or tea since January and want to keep it that way, but I have seen discussions regarding low carb ice cream etc which could possibly be the special treat I am needing occasionally to keep myself going.
I have tried Stevia and threw it all away as it was so bitter it ruined the cocoa drink I was trying to make, I have also heard that many other sweeteners used for cooking are awful, yet most of the ice cream recipes I have seen need a sweetener in them.
Can anyone recommend an acceptable sweetener suitable for a dessert or ice cream that has a decent taste, and also where I can buy it

DevonVee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been on the LCHF diet for just over 3 months now, the last 6 weeks in Keto ranges so I am doing very well and my blood sugar has dropped below Pre Diabetes now, however I know that if I start to eat the wrong food I will be right back where I started. I know without a doubt that I am not cured but am managing to keep it in check.
I find that recently I am starting to crave a sweet treat but at the moment I am managing to resist falling off the wagon. I have had no sugar or sweetener in coffee or tea since January and want to keep it that way, but I have seen discussions regarding low carb ice cream etc which could possibly be the special treat I am needing occasionally to keep myself going.
I have tried Stevia and threw it all away as it was so bitter it ruined the cocoa drink I was trying to make, I have also heard that many other sweeteners used for cooking are awful, yet most of the ice cream recipes I have seen need a sweetener in them.
Can anyone recommend an acceptable sweetener suitable for a dessert or ice cream that has a decent taste, and also where I can buy it
Hi.
Tom Kerridge uses erythritol. It is like xylitol no carbs but unlike xylitol does not cause so much laxative effect as you mostly wee it out. Use like sugar. Can get it from amazon.
I find it does not have the bitter aftertaste that you get from stevia. Some people mix the two. I have not tried yet .

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you can find it check out Oppo ice cream.
It has less carbs than nearly all others. About 7g per 100g so should be ok in moderation. (thats the Vanilla and Salted Caramel the Mint Choc has more about 10g)
I used to have it but couldn't manage the moderation part! so now its banned but it was ok for my sugar levels.
http://www.oppoicecream.co.uk

JRTwalker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I found some Stevia flavour enhancer for water that I sometime add to yogurt. Different flavours - found online and called Stur.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Erythritol seems to be the best and if you mix erythritol and stevia together they tend to cancel out any aftertaste. You will need to experiment but I have found that most recipes use too much sweetener so I tend to reduce the amount called for.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Make the cream and egg custard, let it get to where it is almost set, then mix in some pulverised berries very lightly folding them in so it is not all mixed in but is like a ripple ice cream. You don't need to add sweetener once you get used to the lower levels of sweetness - you will find that such things as peas are getting to taste sweet - making an ice cream with peas, adding a pinch or two of salt and it tastes like peanuts - mind blowing.
I have been thinking of blending some beetroot in the Nutribullet and using that for ice cream.
Have you tried making sugar free jellies? they are really life saving when you just have to eat something sweet.

Grannie75

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for all the ideas. I like the idea of the cream and custard with berries. Is there a specific recipe for this?

Also the sugar free jelly sounds like a good alternative. I don't think it really matters what it is, I am just craving something sweet but still not bad for me.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for all the ideas. I like the idea of the cream and custard with berries. Is there a specific recipe for this?

Also the sugar free jelly sounds like a good alternative. I don't think it really matters what it is, I am just craving something sweet but still not bad for me.

If you have a decent blender, you can blend frozen berries with double cream. Provided you do it quickly and the berries are well frozen, the blended product is a bit like soft, whipped ice cream.

There are loads of low carb ice cream recipes online; some require and ice cream maker, and some don't

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Sugar free jelly with whipped cream is a real winner when you are craving sweet. Make up a couple flavors and keep them in the fridge for just such an occasion.

Reactions: miriamy

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I make a coffee flavoured jelly to have as a pudding or for when I feel the need for something sweet.

half a sachet of plain gelatine, add boiling water to 1/4 pint mark, stir until dissolved, add your favourite instant coffee powder/granules to taste (I use the quantity I would use to make two strong mugs of coffee), sweetener to taste (I use three heaped teaspoons of Silver Spoon) stir to dissolve, add two heaped desertspoons of either alpro soya or full fat greek yoghurt and top up with almond milk to 1/2 pint level, stir until mixed and bung it in the fridge to set.
It lasts at least 4-5 days in the fridge and with Alpro yoghurt a quarter of that quantity is around 28 calories and 2.4g of carb. I like sugar free jelly but this makes a nice change :)

I'm restricting my calories as I still have a lot of weight to lose but you could also use cream instead of yoghurt and adjust the coffee and sweetener.

Reactions: Ultramum

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Medics who tell you what to do.
Politicians who blame people for being poor and praise bankers for being rich.
TV
Butter Beans
Your recipe has my partner drooling!

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I discovered Oppo ice cream last week and it was delicious! I had the salted caramel flavour which I think is around 9g carbs for 2 scoops. The difficult part is sticking to a small portion as it was so good (I haven't had ice cream for over a year!).

Other reduced carb sweet treats that work for me are baked egg custard (homemade using a small amount of whole milk, double cream, eggs, sweetener of choice and freshly grated nutmeg), sometimes with a low carb crust, or my low carb version of a trifle. Usually I make a raspberry sugar free jelly, drop in some fresh raspberries, make a low carb custard, top with whipped double cream and grated dark chocolate or flaked almonds. Sometimes I just have the jelly, raspberries, whipped cream and dark chocolate and it does me just fine as a dessert.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I discovered Oppo ice cream last week and it was delicious! I had the salted caramel flavour which I think is around 9g carbs for 2 scoops. The difficult part is sticking to a small portion as it was so good (I haven't had ice cream for over a year!).

Other reduced carb sweet treats that work for me are baked egg custard (homemade using a small amount of whole milk, double cream, eggs, sweetener of choice and freshly grated nutmeg), sometimes with a low carb crust, or my low carb version of a trifle. Usually I make a raspberry sugar free jelly, drop in some fresh raspberries, make a low carb custard, top with whipped double cream and grated dark chocolate or flaked almonds. Sometimes I just have the jelly, raspberries, whipped cream and dark chocolate and it does me just fine as a dessert.
Yup, I too love baked egg custard, it's what I serve as dessert if people come round for dinner. Serve with some berries, and a shortbread biscuit for the non-diabetics. This is the recipe I use, replacing the sugar with sweetener: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/baked-egg-custard-2/764b183b-20f6-49e9-9ddc-662e8db3cfe6

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
If you have a decent blender, you can blend frozen berries with double cream. Provided you do it quickly and the berries are well frozen, the blended product is a bit like soft, whipped ice cream.

There are loads of low carb ice cream recipes online; some require and ice cream maker, and some don't
You don't even need a blender! I mix a handful of frozn berries into a third of a pot of extra thick double cream with a spoon ... mixing it up and crushing down the berries and HEY PRESTO ... in seconds you have delicious pink ice-cream :)

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I love the Oppo salted caramel ice cream. I stock up whenever I'm in Waitrose which luckily for my waistline isn't often!
I heat a teaspoon of crunchy peanut butter in the microwave until runny and drizzle it over the Oppo. Bliss.

Reactions: Ledzeptt