New here - hello and help!

mld

Hi, my name is Margaret. I am 47 years old and suffered a hypo (I am told) during a walking race. The symptoms came on quickly and I had to sit down as I couldn't keep my balance. I became unconsious and whilst like that an ambulane came and took my BM which was below 1.0mmol. They broght me around with glucose, I think, then gave me dextrose tablets follwed by the honey sandwiches I had prepared for my self. When my BM was 3.8 they let me go home.

Since then (two weeks ago) I have been using my mum's tester and can't get my BMs above 4.0. I am going to the doctors next Thursday to talk about it. Is this the beginning of diabetes? Or what else could it be? I had a fasting blood test last week so the results will be with the doctor for my appointment.

My mum was diabetic (type 1) until she died.

I walk a lot, about 8 miles a day - which I realise would lower my BMs, but I also eat well, having breakfast, lunch, an afternoon snack and dinner! I need to lose weight, but I am losing weight at the moment without trying.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
At the moment it seems you are waiting for the results of tests. Until we know for definite if you are a Diabetic then any advice we can give has to be given with caution. We would also need to know what type you are and any treatment etc. There are also a number of other conditions which it could possibly be and you need to 'push' for your results.

Hypo levels can sometimes be the result of many things. Your Family history can have a bearing on any diagnosis and also the weight loss. I would say no more than that at present.

You need a diagnosis asap.

Ken

mld

Thanks Ken for your reply. I ust admit that I wish the doctor's appointment was on Monday and not Thursday - there is a lot of 'worrying time' between now and then. M.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I would suggest that you monitor your Bg levels closely in the meantime and if at all concerned contact NHS 24 for further advice.

Ken

Richard157

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Rude members who tend to chase others away, trolls who pretend to be something they are not.
If I had your situation, I would cut my exercise to a couple of miles per day until after seeing the doctor. Maybe that would eliminate the hypos in the meantime.