murph524/newcastle diet

Buckley1

I have just read through all the posts/updates on how you have done on your Newcastle Diet and wanted to congratulate you. Well Done :D I too, did the Newcastle Diet for 7 weeks back in June/July of this year and ended it for August because I was going on holiday etc. I lost 20lbs and although I am not on any meds am pleased to say my FBG went down from 12.8 ish to 5.5 to 6.7 ish after that time. I used a protein shake and severe calorie reduction. I took the whole of August off and put 3lb on and my FBG was still around 5.3. I am now back on the diet although have fallen off the wagon a bit (that red wine on a Friday night is a killer!!!) This is my 5th week and I have lost just 7lb this time. I am aiming to get down into the 8 stone zone (I started at 11.2) and am currently 9.6lb. I think shooting for the lower weight will give my pancreas/liver a good chance of clearing out as much fat as possible and also give me the breathing space to put on a few pounds without affecting my diabetes. I don't know what my 'threshold' is but I think it is certainly lower than where I am at now.

I have to say all the vegetable based evening meals, just isn't for me, so cheated and ate mostly protein (eggs and smoked salmon), but am now hooked on a small bowl of porridge made with skimmed milk. I know this is low carb and try to avoid carb now as much as possible, however this is just a quick easy low carb snack that works for me.

My weight loss is a little slower on this second time around push so your tip on replacing the skimmed milk in the shake with water is something I will try for the rest of the weeks to see if it makes any difference. I do find it more tough going this time and think that is why I am perhaps a little less strict than I was, however I am determined to keep my bloods at a good level and get down to the 8.11 region.

Did I reverse my diabetes on my June/July Newcastle Diet ... I don't know. Certainly it reduced my blood glucose and they didn't rise to horrendous levels when I came off the diet but I think if I was not 'carb' aware and just ate all the things I would love to eat on a regular basis that it would rise again ... so I will just have to keep those for times when I deserve a treat.

Well done you for completing the diet to 7 weeks which is what I did. It wasn't that easy, but well worth it.

P.S Not one piece of bread/pasta/rice/wine/pastry passed my lips first time around, a little less strict second time around!
PPS. What did you buy on your shopping trip to re-introduce yourself to a normal eating plan ahead of your holiday.

mrs gimli

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Racists or hatred. Disrespect for people.
About to start this tomorrow tried and failed twice due to my not being prepared.
Asda do own shakes pre made with 209 cals 16 cards
Can I use these this it the bit I failed on last time