Let's have a grumble!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
That's how it must be and feel sometimes!

Our usual manager is on maternity so Head of HR is our boss at the mo. For a forthcoming do I said I will bring my own lunch and she said OK - no fuss, no explaining, no drama. Wonderful. Wish she organised all our events. I am diet controlled so have no drugs to accomodate the whims of the rest of the world. Just me; responsible for me.

Reactions: covknit

Christine McMillan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just so love this thread............
Like robin above i too am coeliac and my outlaws whilst admittedly in their 80s still offer me biscuits after 8 years of coeliacs and 42 years of injections.
They bought my wife and i a box of posh chocolate biscuits at christmas!
The label said "to tony and dawn merry christmas love mum and dad"
How i laughed...........

They offer me something ghastly and when i politely decline they then ask my wife who is sat next to me
"can he not eat those"
How i laugh............

Peoples grasp of coeliacs is far far worse than their grasp of diabetes i find but please don't anybody think i'm being rude its just my observations on life and what happens to me.

Tony

I come from a family which is *full* of allergies, and that's before I start quoting friends' allergies. And I'm old enough to remember when coeliacs simply said 'no' in a rather threatening and snappy manner so one stopped asking them to coffee etc. My ex-neighbour was one such, but we sold that house to a family where the dad had coeliac disease, so in time she too should have felt more confident about talking about it.

Emma3312

I hace it the other way around. Everyone in the room will be offered cake, but me, oh no they ignore me like I don't exist. To be honest 9 times out of 10 I don't want there cake but it would be nice to be offered and not left out.

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Pleased to meet another diet controlled T2!! There don't seem to be many of us about!
Hi there partner. Do you want to join me in a grumble about everyone that assumes we can compensate for the effects of their food with fairy dust? I have had to stop going to knitting group because I am so rude when I refuse cake.

Leanna1980

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Totally get this but not quite sure why people are saying we can't eat it ?? Maybe type 2 but type 1 can just give a bit of insulin. Some people are very harsh on themselves. But i do totally get what you are saying and i dont really tell people about my diabetes i just say im watching my weight. Lol.

Reactions: Eldorado

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Had another 'incident' yesterday.
'Oh Sandra will you have a scone? They're gluten free!
Gluten free?, but I'm not coeliac. I'm diabetic.
Oh silly me. You can have a scone then!'
I kid you not, the fruit scones were HUGE with what looked like a layer of jam an inch thick in the middle.
Oh, you have to laugh really.
They mean well.

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Leanna1980 that might be true for some t1s, but it isn't for all. For example, I cannot eat pizza. I have tried pre-bolusing, split bolusing, everything under the sun, every time, without fail, it shoots me up into the 30s and I feel awful for days. Pasta is another one that can be problematic, and don't get me started on bread.

"Oh but surely if you have a bit of salad with it...." No.

Or when you ask for the carbohydrate content and they look at you like you've just asked for their mother's bra size. Or the waitress in a restaurant once, who said surely if I knew the calories that would be fine. Thank goodness for places that publish their nutritional info on the internet!

Leanna1980

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Strange i eat what i like and just take more insulin and my sister is the same. Thats whats good about this as we're all diffraction .

Reactions: nessals946

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
In Strada I asked for the nutritional value, they brought me a list of allergens...

Emila

Hi. I'm brand new to posting but have been reading the forum for years. I'm a parent of a teenager who's been T1 for 13 years, since the age of 4. I have a good laugh/cry at a lot of the threads. Reading this thread reminded me of what my mother-in-law said to my son 4 or 5 years ago (bearing in mind he'd been diabetic for 8/9 years then ). She used to give my 2 boys a huge tub of chocolates (like Roses) every birthday and Christmas , until I suggested to all the wider family that it may be a good idea if we all just didn't give any sweets/chocolates for birthdays/Christmas presents. (I wanted to buy sweet things myself so I knew what they were eating)...next Christmas she handed him a huge sugar loaded gingerbread cottage, saying " your Mum says you can't have chocolate so I got you this instead". I could have cried.

Reactions: Sibyl

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm brand new to posting but have been reading the forum for years. I'm a parent of a teenager who's been T1 for 13 years, since the age of 4. I have a good laugh/cry at a lot of the threads. Reading this thread reminded me of what my mother-in-law said to my son 4 or 5 years ago (bearing in mind he'd been diabetic for 8/9 years then ). She used to give my 2 boys a huge tub of chocolates (like Roses) every birthday and Christmas , until I suggested to all the wider family that it may be a good idea if we all just didn't give any sweets/chocolates for birthdays/Christmas presents. (I wanted to buy sweet things myself so I knew what they were eating)...next Christmas she handed him a huge sugar loaded gingerbread cottage, saying " your Mum says you can't have chocolate so I got you this instead". I could have cried.

Hi,

Welcome to the forum... Great to see you here! :cool:

Lol, Easter time for me as a kid normally involved just the mug (remember Easter eggs in drinking mugs?) normally with Winnie the Pooh graphics on..
I put my foot down in my mid twenties with my mum, suggesting she can give it up on the pooh mugs... Having no issue with everyone else & chocolate, if that's their thing..... "But you like Pooh!" She replied..
"Mum" said I, "i can't stand Pooh. I've been into Star Wars sice 1977." (I was diagnosed on my 8th birthday in 76.) :banghead:;)

jrussell88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Um...the coffee morning thing...I am catering officer (ie it's me that buys the milk and biscuits and makes sure the kettle is working) for a gardening club that fund raises with coffee mornings...nice range of choccie biccies and WI cakes on offer...what SHOULD I offer to our mainly elderly, often overweight, and occasionally diabetic punters? The last lunch, I put out plates of nicely trimmed fresh veg & toms, which were totally, but totally ignored. (I roasted them for supper...scrummy). A simple finger food that goes well with tea/coffee? Anyone? Please?
Oatcake n cheese?

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Slightly different but a grumble all the same. In my first few weeks at university my tutor group were invited round to the tutor's house for a meal. He had taken the trouble to ask me beforehand if there was anything I shouldn't eat which I thought was very kind. As I was still honeymooning and following dietician's advice of carbs at every meal I said I could pretty much eat anything. He ended up serving a buffet so there was lots to pick and choose from. Then it came to pudding... He listed a range of options including ice-cream, chocolate cake, sticky toffee pudding and went round the group asking what each person wanted and served it to them. When he got to me, before I'd even had a chance to open my mouth to politely decline, he said loudly "You can't have any of this! Don't try and be naughty and say it's ok. If you eat this you're a bad diabetic. You're not allowed any sugar!" I was speechless and so embarrassed. I could feel myself turn bright red. I felt so upset, especially because some of the ppl in my group had no idea I'd got diabetes.

It didn't make much of a difference to my group as it happened...They still got me a gigantic chocolate cake for my birthday the following month but they ate most of it ☺

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One that still sticks with me many years later was shortly after being diagnosed ... In my first few weeks at university my tutor group were invited round to the tutor's house for a meal. He had taken the trouble to ask me beforehand if there was anything I shouldn't eat which I thought was very kind. As I was still honeymooning and following dietician's advice of carbs at every meal I said I could pretty much eat anything. He ended up serving a buffet so there was lots to pick and choose from. Then it came to pudding... He listed a range of options including ice-cream, chocolate cake, sticky toffee pudding and went round the group asking what each person wanted and served it to them. When he got to me, before I'd even had a chance to open my mouth to politely decline, he said loudly "You can't have any of this! Don't try and be naughty and say it's ok. If you eat this you're a bad diabetic. You're not allowed any sugar!" I was speechless and so embarrassed. I could feel myself turn bright red. I felt so upset, especially because some of the ppl in my group had no idea I'd got diabetes.

It didn't make much of a difference to my group as it happened...They still got me a gigantic chocolate cake for my birthday the following month but they ate most of it ☺

Similar thing happened to me in an English class as a 13/14 year old just before Chrismas break, regarding a "selection box" brought in & passed round by the teacher...
When she got to me she waived it under my nose, snatched away & barracked to rest of the class. "Aaaaaaaand. (Holding the attention of the whole class.) if YOU think I'M going to give SWEETS to a DIABETIC??!!"

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Similar thing happened to me in an English class as a 13/14 year old just before Chrismas break, regarding a "selection box" brought in & passed round by the teacher...
When she got to me she waived it under my nose, snatched away & barracked to rest of the class. "Aaaaaaaand. (Holding the attention of the whole class.) if YOU think I'M going to give SWEETS to a DIABETIC??!!"

I wish people didn't do this.

Reactions: Sibyl and Eldorado

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wish people didn't do this.
Thinking back & briefly summing up this teachers general "professionalism."

She was a "loose cannon." On so many different levels....
Flaunced out of the job in the end, ventured into local council politics. Then fell off the "grid."