New here

forrestadair

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
First off I live in the United States and have found the UK information much more informative than The American diabetes Association. I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes in September 2016. I am a 67-year-old male that works 40 hours a week and own 2 printing businesses with 10 employees for the last 37 years. I am currently taking two 500 mg MetForman each day. For two months I was in total denial that I had diabetes THEY had made a mistake. When I was diagnosed my A-1 C was 10.7. And my daily reading was 345. My weight was 286 pounds. And my activity was very low and had been for years.
Because of this form I have learned a lot about the low-carb high-fat diet. It works. The last time that I went to the doctor over a month and a half ago my A-1 C was 6.0 and my average daily blood sugar right now is 113 for the past 90 days. In November I started walking at least 3 to 5 miles a day to help use up the carbs that I was eating. My carb intake is 20% of my daily diet. Because of the LCHF my Life changed I have lost down to 222 pounds. I don't look at it as a diet I look at it as a life change and for the better. My calorie intake has been between 1600 and 2100 a day. I find that I'm not as hungry most days at lunch and evening. A sidenote here (my wife has told me she is tired of hearing about The DAILY NUMBERS). I've tried to keep a positive outlook on this whole problem but at times it's overwhelming. I have started keeping a daily diary on my mood my weight and my blood sugar which has helped me to with an outlet for me. For the past week I have participated in a walkathon and I have walked over 29 miles. That has been a big help in my weight loss and Energy level. I hope this hasn't been too long thanks for reading.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
First off I live in the United States and have found the UK information much more informative than The American diabetes Association. I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes in September 2016. I am a 67-year-old male that works 40 hours a week and own 2 printing businesses with 10 employees for the last 37 years. I am currently taking two 500 mg MetForman each day. For two months I was in total denial that I had diabetes THEY had made a mistake. When I was diagnosed my A-1 C was 10.7. And my daily reading was 345. My weight was 286 pounds. And my activity was very low and had been for years.
Because of this form I have learned a lot about the low-carb high-fat diet. It works. The last time that I went to the doctor over a month and a half ago my A-1 C was 6.0 and my average daily blood sugar right now is 113 for the past 90 days. In November I started walking at least 3 to 5 miles a day to help use up the carbs that I was eating. My carb intake is 20% of my daily diet. Because of the LCHF my Life changed I have lost down to 222 pounds. I don't look at it as a diet I look at it as a life change and for the better. My calorie intake has been between 1600 and 2100 a day. I find that I'm not as hungry most days at lunch and evening. A sidenote here (my wife has told me she is tired of hearing about The DAILY NUMBERS). I've tried to keep a positive outlook on this whole problem but at times it's overwhelming. I have started keeping a daily diary on my mood my weight and my blood sugar which has helped me to with an outlet for me. For the past week I have participated in a walkathon and I have walked over 29 miles. That has been a big help in my weight loss and Energy level. I hope this hasn't been too long thanks for reading.

Sounds like you are doing well and that you have a handle on things. Well done. I agree with the life change rather than diet attitude. I have not had a weight problem, so it's easier for me not to see it as a diet...my diabetes was steroid induced. I see it more as increasing my awareness of what is in the food I am eating. I was pretty obsessive at first, recording the food I ate, when I ate it and what my blood sugar levels were before and a coupe of hours after...as well as recording all the meds I was on and when I took them. This was very informative and let me develop a sound approach. I also broke down a typical week of food in terms of how many grams of carb, sugar, fat, fibre, protein and calories I was eating. This helped me persuade doctors I was doing the right thing for me personally. I was soon off all meds for diabetes and hitting fairly normalish blood sugar levels. While I have had a few issues with infections (totally unrelated to diabetes) and resulting higher levels, I am far more confident, less worried and less obsessed. I had really eased off my recording and my self-testing. So long as no other factors set you back, you should be able to be less concerned with daily numbers the more progress you make. Good luck.

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
I found that, after the first 9 or 10 months of checking religiously on my blood glucose levels, and almost second guessing what foods would keep it at the right level, that I could drop testing so much. I always test first thing of a morning, but then usually test 90 minutes after finishing my breakfast, and then only after lunch and dinner (not before) plus at bedtime. I even occasionally miss testing after dinner if I know it's something that doesn't alter my readings. Only test more often if unwell or perhaps just once in a while for clarity that I'm 'ticking along nicely' You will ease off after a while I'm certain :)

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You are doing so well with your new way of eating (LCHF) .. keeping a diary of what your doing is a brilliant idea and takes the pressure off of people close to you who may not understand the impact of keeping your numbers under control.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
A sidenote here (my wife has told me she is tired of hearing about The DAILY NUMBERS.
Hi @forrestadair! Well done on improving your HbA1c, weight and fitness by LCHF and exercise. If your wife is tired of hearing your DAILY NUMBERS you can post them on the 'Type 2s: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?' thread on this forum. We are interested to know how people are doing, and it helps to keep us motivated.

Robkww

Really great to hear of positive progress. People not directly affected by T2 don't appreciate how much individuals can be affected by modern diet and working practices - the old T2 can sneak up on you without an over indulgence in cake and coke! Good work - keep it going!

forrestadair

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @forrestadair! Well done on improving your HbA1c, weight and fitness by LCHF and exercise. If your wife is tired of hearing your DAILY NUMBERS you can post them on the 'Type 2s: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?' thread on this forum. We are interested to know how people are doing, and it helps to keep us motivated.
Thanks for the support. I have posted on the "What is your fasting blood glucose in the morning. My 7 day average is 117.

Reactions: Prem51

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Welcome to the forum. We are pleased to see you here. It is good to see people reach out for assistance. We are here to assist.

Reactions: forrestadair

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
welcome to the forum forrestadair :)

you are doing fine ! by the way my family are also tired of hearing of my numbers and eating style... I think they would be even more tired if they themselves were in the same situation without propper support... so well good there at least are some in the same boat , while at the same time not wishing that for anyone at all..

this is great place to share information and progress and also when one is a bit down of the whole menageri...

Last edited:
Reactions: forrestadair