Missing sandwiches...

LidiaS

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Super quick little 'bread' rolls, made in a sandwich toaster.

2 eggs
4 teaspoons coconut flour
Half a teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt

Beat together, allow the mix to thicken, while you heat up your sandwich toaster.
Pour the mix into the triangles.
Shut the toaster for about 5 minutes.
When these little triangles are cool you can slice them in half and make a sandwich.

ddb42738b2489ee0da7bf987fcd3d3bc.jpg
4e4996651e2b8b8d78d49bd5b59065ab.jpg

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

2 eggs
Pinch of salt

Beat together, allow the mix to thicken, while you heat up your sandwich toaster.
When these little triangles are cool you can slice them in half and make a sandwich.

Hi, @LidiaS
These look really interesting.
Do you know of any alternative way of making them if you don't have a sandwich toaster? I gave mine away when I stopped eating bread.

Reactions: Ultramum

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for this, They look great.. I'll have to try them... need to buy a new sandwich toaster though.. like Pipp I disposed of ours :)

LidiaS

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, @LidiaS
These look really interesting.
Do you know of any alternative way of making them if you don't have a sandwich toaster? I gave mine away when I stopped eating bread.

You can microwave this recipe too, in a mug or a small bowl for about a minute, this amount makes 2. Not as nice though

andyfh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

2 eggs
Pinch of salt

No need for any butter in the mix?

I have just started to make the microwave in a mug bun type thing with 1 egg, 1 tablespoon coconut flour, 1 tablespoon of butter and a 1/4 teaspoon baking powder. Microwave for 90 seconds and it tastes like a plain sponge. No strong coconut or butter flavour to it. I than put a generous dollop of this zero sugar butterscotch stuff:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DT7VPZ4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

into the bottom of the mug and put the bun thingy on top before giving it a 15 second zap in the microwave again. Careful not to overcook (burn) the butterscotch.

Just need to source some of that wheyhey ice cream to try with it and I'm set. :)

Reactions: LidiaS and Ultramum

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the recipe @LidiaS :) They're rather like oopsie bread but tastier & a bit more substantial (with a lot less pfaffing about involved!!). I added some Italian herbs to the mixture & may try a little grated cheese next time.

@Pipp & @daisyduck - I too threw out the sandwich maker so I just made them in a frying pan. Medium heat for 3 or so min each side & allow to cool before slicing. The mixture is nice & thick so it's not too hard to shape it once you've spooned it into the pan. Having said all of that - I may just buy another sandwich maker now I've established how much I like the recipe :)

LidiaS

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Can you make with almond flour?

I gave up on almond flour, very expensive. Coconut flour works out loads cheaper, and lasts ages because you don't need much. I don't know how much almond flour you'd need but the mixture is quite thick, slow pour, like thick pancake batter, give it a go

LidiaS

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
No need for any butter in the mix?

I have just started to make the microwave in a mug bun type thing with 1 egg, 1 tablespoon coconut flour, 1 tablespoon of butter and a 1/4 teaspoon baking powder. Microwave for 90 seconds and it tastes like a plain sponge. No strong coconut or butter flavour to it. I than put a generous dollop of this zero sugar butterscotch stuff:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DT7VPZ4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

into the bottom of the mug and put the bun thingy on top before giving it a 15 second zap in the microwave again. Careful not to overcook (burn) the butterscotch.

Just need to source some of that wheyhey ice cream to try with it and I'm set. :)

You can add butter but it's more 'cakey' I make these with a bit of butter and sweetener to make mini sponge cakes, then top with keto icing.
To be honest, I'm not a great fan of microwaves, I'm useless at getting the timing right and they're so pale looking when they come out.

Reactions: Rosiegough_

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the recipe @LidiaS :) They're rather like oopsie bread but tastier & a bit more substantial (with a lot less pfaffing about involved!!). I added some Italian herbs to the mixture & may try a little grated cheese next time.

@Pipp & @daisyduck - I too threw out the sandwich maker so I just made them in a frying pan. Medium heat for 3 or so min each side & allow to cool before slicing. The mixture is nice & thick so it's not too hard to shape it once you've spooned it into the pan. Having said all of that - I may just buy another sandwich maker now I've established how much I like the recipe :)

Thanks. Sandwich toaster on the shopping list for this week now. Thanks @LidiaS I'll look in Tesco

Reactions: LidiaS