I am developing a Diabetes App, help me

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Seems to have a problem with half units of insulin. Having had 5 units for breakfast, when I put in 2.5 for lunch it displays 2.5 but totals to 30 units. When I input 3 it totals to 8.

tedlin01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Seems to have a problem with half units of insulin. Having had 5 units for breakfast, when I put in 2.5 for lunch it displays 2.5 but totals to 30 units. When I input 3 it totals to 8.

Thank you for noticing this bug and thank you for sharing the feedback in the previous post. I will try to fix it asap :)

Last edited:

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @tedlin01. How long do you need to use the app to get the stats function? Ive been using it for 10 days now and still no stats. Cheers.

tedlin01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @tedlin01. How long do you need to use the app to get the stats function? Ive been using it for 10 days now and still no stats. Cheers.

Hi Garr, I'm sorry but the stats button is not actually a button. It's just a label with a border. Its still being developed. I will release it within a month.

JacquiMorrison

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello,

My name is Ted Lindstrom and I have had Type 1 Diabetes for 15 years. My hba1c was at about 77 some months ago and neither me or my doctor was very happy about this result. I decided to really focus on my diabetes and since I am a App Developer I thought that I would like to develop an app for myself to help me keep in the "mindset" of diabetes. In the end I had an app in which I can log glucose, insulin, exercise and food and then visualise it with graphs to see relationships between the parameters. From that I can then easily evaluate how walking and insulin affects my blood sugar. I also noticed that counting carbs is really efficient so I developed a feature for the app that calculates the insulin sensitivity over the days. For instance I noticed that my insulin sensitivity is much lower during nights and mornings. I guess it makes sense since I am less active during nights. However I feel that this app really helps me to control my diabetes and last time I checked my hba1c I had 52(!!!) and my Doctor was really proud of me, so was I :)

Now, I'm thinking about releasing this iPhone app to the public on App Store. However I don't really feel that it is good enough today so I need to consider if I want to put in the amount of work hours into making it good enough for anyone to use. That is why I am writing and I am wondering if anyone would actually be interested in testing this app out.

Do you guys use any apps to help you with your Diabetes today and if so, is there anything your missing? Any ideas on how to make this app really awsome if I decide to go along with developing it for public use?

First of all, thank you! I've tried many apps and none of them give me the motivation to continue to use it. I love to be organised and in control of my diabetes but that never happens. Made a wee list below of things that would encourage me to use it and what I felt was missing on other apps;
- looks simplistic and no daft colours and images etc, plain and simple and elegant
- options to view differently such as graphs, tables etc
- a separate note section would be brilliant so when I'm looking through the last couple days I can see "ah yes when I had bran flakes my sugars continued to rise for 4 hours" I can leave a note to say remember to monitor sugars or remember to take insulin twice in the morning if you have bran flakes but have the notes separate from the graphs so we don't have to go into each day to find out what happened if that makes sense?
- I know this last one is far fetched but maybe a simplistic calculator? So if you type in how much carbs and how much insulin but maybe the insulin wasn't enough it can say " at 1pm your insulin to carb ratio is 2:1" ?

Appreciate what you're doing, id be more than happy to help answer questions and test it for you if need be, I'm also brutally honest

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers @tedlin01, as I said Ive been using it for a wee while now and it is by far the best app I've used for recording everything. Really easy and quick to use. I'm no looking for an app to tell me what to do, but to tell me what I've done. Good work!

Llinz04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

My name is Ted Lindstrom and I have had Type 1 Diabetes for 15 years. My hba1c was at about 77 some months ago and neither me or my doctor was very happy about this result. I decided to really focus on my diabetes and since I am a App Developer I thought that I would like to develop an app for myself to help me keep in the "mindset" of diabetes. In the end I had an app in which I can log glucose, insulin, exercise and food and then visualise it with graphs to see relationships between the parameters. From that I can then easily evaluate how walking and insulin affects my blood sugar. I also noticed that counting carbs is really efficient so I developed a feature for the app that calculates the insulin sensitivity over the days. For instance I noticed that my insulin sensitivity is much lower during nights and mornings. I guess it makes sense since I am less active during nights. However I feel that this app really helps me to control my diabetes and last time I checked my hba1c I had 52(!!!) and my Doctor was really proud of me, so was I :)

Now, I'm thinking about releasing this iPhone app to the public on App Store. However I don't really feel that it is good enough today so I need to consider if I want to put in the amount of work hours into making it good enough for anyone to use. That is why I am writing and I am wondering if anyone would actually be interested in testing this app out.

Do you guys use any apps to help you with your Diabetes today and if so, is there anything your missing? Any ideas on how to make this app really awsome if I decide to go along with developing it for public use?

Hi Ted!
Just read your thread and I'm liking the sound of it! I do a lot of excersize at the moment, including a lot of walking, to try and reduce my hba1c (I wasn't happy with mine last time either).

I'd love to try this app out since I only use nike run at the moment. Would be cool to try it out!

tedlin01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Ted!
Just read your thread and I'm liking the sound of it! I do a lot of excersize at the moment, including a lot of walking, to try and reduce my hba1c (I wasn't happy with mine last time either).

I'd love to try this app out since I only use nike run at the moment. Would be cool to try it out!

Hi Llinz. Im happy that you are willing to give it a try. I have been thinking about that you are using nike run app and I am thinking about if it would be of value to implement some of those features in this diabetes app. What do you think?

tedlin01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi!

I just wanted to drop in and say that I have not perished. Im working hard on bringing the app to the next level. Upcoming updates:

Major:
- New innovative interface.
- Accountsupport and a web application where you can access same features and data as on the phone.
- Workout logging

Minor:
- Optional fat and protein logging.
- Better stepcounter.

Last edited:

jrussell88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Instead of building a standalone app, how about building add-ons for other open-source apps?

Estimating sensitivities would be really useful, but why not save some work and make it more widely useful by using data from one of the other projects such as Nightscout?

Btw if you Google you'll find an interesting research paper with equations for estimating sensitivities.