Fed up

paganlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
nhs. religion for the sake of it.
Hi everyone, ive been diagnosed with T2 for 10 months now and manage on diet and exercise alone. I refused medication on diagnosis even tho my hba1c was 97. 3 month later I had it down to 40.
However 10 months in and I'm soo fed up with low carb diet and I'm struggling.
I'm on a very low income and tight budget and i need advice. After losing 2 and half stone initially a couple of pound has crept back on! 3 in total. And that was only because I had a couple of pieces of toast! I exist now on meat n veg, cheese. I used to love food now I hate it! I don't eat out any more because everything is bland. I don't drink I don't smoke I don't go on holiday. I feel like dying my life is soo boring.
I'm struggling please help.....

paganlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks for replying. I will have a look. Xx

S

serenity648

deleted, as I replied to someone else, and posted it in your thread.

sorry, need more coffee : )

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Diakat

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
HI @paganlass, hang on in there, you are doing so well and very brave / smart to get such a result without resorting to drugs. It has only been 10 months and you may not have mentally dealt with the significant change to your lifestyle, you most likely have some diabetes fatigue. If you can either sound off on this forum, or if you have someone close tell them how you are feeling, it might even end up in a necessary cry - this is not a problem if it goes this way.

I used to go into a supermarket and think, there is nothing here for me, now even avoiding the bread, cereal, cakes and sweets section I find so much. On the protein side you can have chicken, turkey, beef, lamb, oxtail, pork anything available. Every type of available fish, especially oily ones such as mackerel, salmon and trout. All above ground vegetables and salads, most nuts and cheese. Most fruits ending in berry. You can have low carb cakes and biscuits (home made). With seasoning you can transform any of the proteins to taste completely different e.g. Italian herbs make chicken taste very different to Jamican jerk chicken, chicken chasseur or chicken curry - how's that for variety on just one food type. Google, MSN are great resources for transforming bland food. Seriously if I can do it anyone can, I once cooked my now wife rice and chicken, this was so bad I did not let her have a mouthful. I can now since diagnosis cook a meal for the family without anyone needing to go to A and E, and often getting compliments.

Ideas can be gleaned free on this sites Carb program - join if you haven't and I have had loads of ideas from Instagram; right now I like recipes "clean eating Alice" produces, I just remove the carbs when she goes down that route. All the very best, look at you achievement, non diabetic levels from such a high in 3 months - this is insane.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Hi everyone, ive been diagnosed with T2 for 10 months now and manage on diet and exercise alone. I refused medication on diagnosis even tho my hba1c was 97. 3 month later I had it down to 40.
However 10 months in and I'm soo fed up with low carb diet and I'm struggling.
I'm on a very low income and tight budget and i need advice. After losing 2 and half stone initially a couple of pound has crept back on! 3 in total. And that was only because I had a couple of pieces of toast! I exist now on meat n veg, cheese. I used to love food now I hate it! I don't eat out any more because everything is bland. I don't drink I don't smoke I don't go on holiday. I feel like dying my life is soo boring.
I'm struggling please help.....
Don't isolate yourself and don't think it is over! I am the same boat, studying and struggling is not much of a life. But I continue regardless. You need to keep a diary of what you have and how you react. Weight, BGL, overall condition. Complex but effective.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I feel for you and I am also on a tight budget as I am on esa.
It's so hard to eat well on little money.
It's can understand why people buy food that's high in sugar etc because that's cheaper then buying food that will help us lose weight

paganlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thankyou mbaker and Leslie10152 for your kind words. Ally 1 yes it really is. We are also on esa and my husband is disabled and i am his carer as well as my mums and its so hard to afford nice food. Before diagnosis i would bake home made pies and spagetti ect but now its soo hard. All we seem to eat it bacon and cheese. Ive lost my way i know.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi, hang in there, I am very low carb and also coeliac which on the surface seems very compatible. I have discovered just how many low carb foods have gluten in them. Soya sauce, baking powder, spice blends, really? The only way to make this way of eating sustainable is to be creative which does not have to be expensive. Keep looking on low carb recipe sites and there are lots of threads here with recipes and food ideas. Good luck :)

paganlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks guys. X

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Thankyou mbaker and Leslie10152 for your kind words. Ally 1 yes it really is. We are also on esa and my husband is disabled and i am his carer as well as my mums and its so hard to afford nice food. Before diagnosis i would bake home made pies and spagetti ect but now its soo hard. All we seem to eat it bacon and cheese. Ive lost my way i know.
I have been cooking cabbage with butter, cream and cheese with recipes from the diet doctor website. Adding a pinch of paprika to eggy things spices them up a little. I use savoy cabbage leaves in place of lasagne and if you have access to a bit of land where you could grow some courgettes and spaghetti squash they are good pasta substitutes and are tasty with the right sauce. You could grow garlic chives in a pot and if you have somewhere plant garlic in October. What sort of food are you craving?

edit to add - I have made this quite a few times recently. I omit the tarragon and filo pastry. I use extra mature cheddar instead of gruyere. The greens used are whatever I have to hand on the lottie. If you have a bit of land everyone can grow chard which is the greens that just keep giving. http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/3322/leek-and-spring-green-filo-pie.aspx?o_is=SR

Last edited: