What to Eat! EASY.....

TallLeeds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
To anyone new to this way of Life.
'Low Carb LCHF Keto Eating'.
It's a website overflowing with recipes.
It's a start and one you can enjoy.
Empty your cupboards of all the sugars...chuck out the rice, potatoes, pasta and basically don't eat anything that grows UNDERGROUND! Sounds like witchcraft I know, but it WORKS!

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Empty your cupboards of all the sugars...chuck out the rice, potatoes, pasta and basically don't eat anything that grows UNDERGROUND! Sounds like witchcraft I know, but it WORKS!
Radishes grow underground, but they're fine.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Check out the Low Carb program link in my signature below :)

There are many other sites with information about eating low carb. Some Type 2s here can manage more carbs than others, hence the advice to Eat To Your Meter.

TallLeeds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well, many on here eat them.
(I do, but then again, I don't low carb, so I'm probably not a good example for a low carb diet to be fair)
The Low carb High Fat regime is specific in advocating no root veggies....radishes are a root veg. Anything grown above ground is fine in proportion. ...who wants to overdose on cabbage or kale....yuk....it takes some reading to get the gist of the advice but it works.

Hotpepper20000

That's why we need to eat to our meter. Radishes do not spike me at all. I roast them with butter and onions.
I love cabbage and kale. We are all different in our needs and goals.
I am now firmly in non diabetic range and 50 pounds lighter.

Reactions: Bluetit1802
D

Deleted member 308541

I eat low carb Spud Lite potatoes at least four times a week.

I have got my averages down below six mmol/l so I must be doing something wrong according to the OP theory.

hcQi47H.jpg

Reactions: Hotpepper20000

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
The Low carb High Fat regime is specific in advocating no root veggies....radishes are a root veg. Anything grown above ground is fine in proportion. ...who wants to overdose on cabbage or kale....yuk....it takes some reading to get the gist of the advice but it works.

Strange but ive never ever heard of anyone overdosing on cabbage, kale or any other veg grown underground and as for your advice, I totally disagree, its all down to a personal choice, I lost 5 stone in weight and have never had an Hba1c outside of the 5% in 8 years now and I was diagnosed with an HbA1c of 12.9 and bg levels of 29mmol/L plus and put straight on insulin and was using insulin for a year.

I did eat a low carb diet but I still ate potatoes and rice and many other veg that are grown underground and guess what? I survived.

Please understand that there are as many ways of controlling diabetes as there are diabetics who are well controlled, no one has to follow any particular diet. All they have to do is find what works for them, now that may be lchf but please bear in mind that there are many other alternatives that work just as well.

I never added extra fat to my diet, ever, am I wrong?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I low carb but still have carrots and beetroot. You can be unnecessarily strict on what to eat and what not to eat if you're not careful. It's a shame to miss out on different tastes and different nutrients if you don't need to do so. The best rule is to let your meter rule.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Fortunately, if we have blood glucose meters, test strips, and a little common sense, we can all work out a way of eating that doesn't rely on other people laying down the law.

There is certainly no need to stick rigidly to someone else's view of The Rules, when our own bodies can tell us exactly how to tailor make our own diets.

By eating these foods, testing, and monitoring blood glucose reactions, I can confidently eat
radishes
raw carrots (but not cooked)
small amounts of beetroot
larger amounts of swedes/rutabagas
small amounts of potato (if fried in the form of chips or roasties, but not mashed or boiled or baked)
and no parsnip, ever, under any circumstances

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

As a rule of thumb though and especially when new to LCHF I would say that the "avoid underground veg" rule is a useful one as it immediately flags up potato, parsnip, carrots etc as potential spikers.. once blood glucose is under control then its fine to experiment with such things using your meter.
I think you are being a bit too harsh on @TallLeeds who is like myself trying to advocate passionately what has worked for him (and me). We can all eat whatever we want of course but for some (maybe most) with Type 2 it may have dire effects.

TallLeeds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As a rule of thumb though and especially when new to LCHF I would say that the "avoid underground veg" rule is a useful one as it immediately flags up potato, parsnip, carrots etc as potential spikers.. once blood glucose is under control then its fine to experiment with such things using your meter.
I think you are being a bit too harsh on @TallLeeds who is like myself trying to advocate passionately what has worked for him (and me). We can all eat whatever we want of course but for some (maybe most) with Type 2 it may have dire effects.
Thanks