Type 2 Confused

figgywiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone. I was diagnosed with type 2 two years ago. Briefly I was given metformin SR straight away as my test was high and I was not over weight and a vegan and ran regularly. Was so ill I came off them and was put on gliclizade, ill again so was given Glimepiride and was ill again. I even lost my job as I was a gardener and was getting lows about 3/4 times a day on these tablet as well as flu like symptoms. Devised a strict diet that took me into pre diabetic state which was 17/7 fasting. However my tests have now crept up a bit and GP gave me metformin again and I am now struggling with severe bloating and discomfort so I am stopping them again. My blood tests are not terrible just higher than satisfactory. Can anyone think where I go from here.

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Good morning @figgywiggy my friend I can only say that I suffered much the same as you when first put on metformin but decided to keep taking them 2 a day,one in the morning and one of an evening straight after meals,it took me 11 weeks for my body to get used to them and my LCHF diet ,right or wrong I also decided to cut out sugar,potatoes,rice and all processed food of any kind the day I came home from my diagnosis in October 2016 (cold Turkey),I am not advising you or anyone else to do the same as we are all different,it was simply fear that made me so resolute.just conveying my own experiences to you,as I will leave the advice to some of our more experienced friends here,but for me it has been well worth the discomfort constipation, and sickness I had for 11 weeks,it wasn't very nice,but the marvelous and friendly advice I received from everyone on this forum got me to where I am now(Thank God)I am now only on 1 metformin a day which I take at midday directly after my lunch with a view of stopping the one tablet and just controlling my type two diabetes on exercise and Diet alone:)

Reactions: LidiaS

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Your profile says you are insulin dependent? If so then taking Metformin is unnecessary although it helps a bit. Surely you just need to continue with the insulin and get the balance right? What insulin regime are you on? BTW it's not normal to take Gliclazide or Glimepiride when on insulin as insulin does the job of the tablets.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi everyone. I was diagnosed with type 2 two years ago. Briefly I was given metformin SR straight away as my test was high and I was not over weight and a vegan and ran regularly. Was so ill I came off them and was put on gliclizade, ill again so was given Glimepiride and was ill again. I even lost my job as I was a gardener and was getting lows about 3/4 times a day on these tablet as well as flu like symptoms. Devised a strict diet that took me into pre diabetic state which was 17/7 fasting. However my tests have now crept up a bit and GP gave me metformin again and I am now struggling with severe bloating and discomfort so I am stopping them again. My blood tests are not terrible just higher than satisfactory. Can anyone think where I go from here.
Hi @figgywiggy I am going to base my answer on the assumption that you are not insulin dependent as there is a current site glitch that changes members' profiles. Ignore me if you are.

Sorry to read you lost your job. Gardening is a very physical job. Have you replaced the activity with something else? I think you just need some fine tuning. Perhaps increasing your activity level would help.

figgywiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. Thanks for the replies. No I am not on insulin. I run daily for four miles before breakfast and I now have a dog walking business which I have built up but i am finding the bloating is so uncomfortable I don't want to face anyone. I cannot afford to not work and that is why I have now stopped taking them again. I am so upset about it all today. When I am not in medication I am very healthy!!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@figgywiggy

What sort of levels are you seeing that are deemed unsatisfactory, and what were they before they crept up?
Have you changed your diet, either on purpose or accidentally?
Are you self testing?

Metformin only helps to a limited extent and is more effective on overweight people as it is an appetite suppressant.

figgywiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. Thanks for the interest. I have a vegan diet and do 17/7 fasting. I carry no weight my last bg test was 62. Before that I was 56. My diet does not change greatly and is fairly healthy. Gp is blaming genetics although my parents were not diabetic. I try really hard to control it but it is degenerative and they feel I am losing the battle without help.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. Thanks for the interest. I have a vegan diet and do 17/7 fasting. I carry no weight my last bg test was 62. Before that I was 56. My diet does not change greatly and is fairly healthy. Gp is blaming genetics although my parents were not diabetic. I try really hard to control it but it is degenerative and they feel I am losing the battle without help.

Do you self test? This is an important question if you want us to help with your food choices - and diet is the key to controlling this condition, with or without the aid of tablets.

Also, have you considered you may be a late onset T1 (LADA). You could find this out by asking your GP for the 2 tests, a C-Peptide and a GAD test. Many GPs are unaware of this and are slow to do the tests. There are dozens upon dozens of slim people diagnosed with T2 who are actually LADA.

figgywiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. That's interesting. I had to look up what it meant. Yes I do self test. Up to 2 months ago was holding my own but my tests have now gone up and after the 17 hour fast and the run can be in high 7s. Used to be around mid 5s.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. That's interesting. I had to look up what it meant. Yes I do self test. Up to 2 months ago was holding my own but my tests have now gone up and after the 17 hour fast and the run can be in high 7s. Used to be around mid 5s.

If you are very low carb, then I would ask for these tests. You may have to push for them. Do some research about LADA so you have some ammunition for when you see your doctor.

How low carb are you?

figgywiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Probably not as low as some as I don't do high fat. My diet consists mainly fruit veg grains and soya. I am fairly strict with my food and exercise whilst trying to ensure I get nutrients and vitamins and minerals I need. Not eating meat and dairy is a daily challenge so I am used to paying attention to what goes in.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Probably not as low as some as I don't do high fat. My diet consists mainly fruit veg grains and soya. I am fairly strict with my food and exercise whilst trying to ensure I get nutrients and vitamins and minerals I need. Not eating meat and dairy is a daily challenge so I am used to paying attention to what goes in.
Are you ok with wheat? I agree with Bluetit about asking for further tests. So are you still bloated when you stop the metformin? Bloated everywhere or "just" your belly?

Reactions: Bluetit1802

figgywiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the advice. I don't feel so isolated now. Will try turmeric mil. Thank you everyone.