Low Carb & reduced BG since X-PERT Course

Quirkybee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

Just wanted to share my recent change in my BG readings.
I've been long term glucose intolerant, monitored by diet only. Last Feb and April 2016, my readings increased from normal range to around 70, then in Sept it shot up to 110.
Metformin was prescribed and a revisit to my daily meal intake.

I missed one appointment for my HbA1c test, so didn't go until Feb this year. Had a blip over Xmas, as some of us do, but thought what's going to be is going to be....

Had my results in Feb and my HbA1c was done to 55 (a miracle I thought). My cholesterol if I recall rightly was 3.4 and my hdl and ldl were okay. I started an
X-PERT course and it wasn't until the 3rd week when Carbs were discussed, that the whole thing just sunk in. I understood it that it was all about the carbs, of which sugars, so since this course which for me was a life saver, I am now trying my best to keep to a lower Carb diet.

My readings used to be 8 or 9 before each meal. Yes, they always seem up first thing, but even since this course, my lowest morning reading before breakfast is 7.9 to 8. Used to be 12....

My lowest readings before lunch are around 4.5 to 6.7 and 2 hrs later, roughly around 6 to 7.

Evening meals are still a trial, with low readings prior to meal, 5.5 - 6.7, then 2 hrs later depending on my meal, they have been around 6.5 to 9, sometimes higher. I even weighed 3 chips one evening weighing in at 150g haha, but we don eat them often, maybe once a month or so. I try to use sweet potato and do wedges.

It's trial and error at the moment, busy lifestyle and working full time and I can't say I'm following a LCHF diet as such, but just watching the amount of carbs. After a sandwich last week, 2 hrs later it was 11.1 and 6 before.

I eat a square or 2 of 85% dark choc some evenings. It's okay. I have meals when I'm out and I know my BG will be raised still 2 hrs later, but it's been a lifestyle change for sure.

I adore cauliflower rice and bought a hand spiralizer to make courgette strips and incorporate those into meals.

My new thing is starting the gym and I try and go 2-3 times per week before work first thing. It's a massive struggle, but when I've been, my mood lifts and I feel chuffed for going. Having problems with my BG levels being higher on return from the gym, but I've raised a separate post on that.

I cycle anyway, but hate the static bike and don't use that in the gym, but I go off with friends and I walk too. Life's a struggle for us all I guess, but since I've seen results, I try to keep focused and say to myself that this is for my health and to keep me well.

My BP is the only concern right now 150/102 sometimes, 148/98 and I'm struggling with how to reduce it. Stress cannot be eliminated from our lives as such, but I've had to alter a few things in order to reduce it (BP), otherwise it just escalates.

Due for my next blood test in May, so fingers crossed.
Thanks for taking the time to read this. Any tips or advice or criticism is greatly received.

Thank you x

Reactions: Freema and Ultramum

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on reducing your numbers and for being proactive and trying to turn things round. :)

I'm sure you are aware that some of your food choices aren't ideal, such as the sandwich you had last week. That huge rise should be enough to motivate you to eliminate bread from your diet, and the sweet potato and wedges may not be ideal for you if they also cause an unacceptable rise. Just keep testing these out and reduce portion sizes or eliminate if necessary. If you test regularly, before and after meals and record these levels in a food diary you should see patterns emerging and be able to learn from them.
Eat to your meter and you can't go far wrong, whilst allowing yourself a little treat every so often.

Well done so far.

Reactions: Freema

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Reactions: Ultramum and Freema

Quirkybee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you both.
Like us all, I have a lot going on and sometimes, well, most times when I finally get home in the evening 7.30 onward, it's difficult to know what to prepare for tea. I find there's a lot of buying of fresh veg and although it's cheap enough, I find I need something quick otherwise there's no time to fit other things in during the evening.

I'm trying my best to eat well, but I'm on a budget and don't always have the right ingredients in stock. Planning the weeks meals is very useful though, I have proved that.
Being diabetic has changed my life, but since I made the change ref my diet, I have felt better and gained more energy and weight loss is happening, albeit slow.

I've found a bread that is around 10g carbs per slice but I've not checked my bg after eating it, as that was an eat on the go moment..... The sandwich I had last week was a shop bought one.

I tried the LCHF months ago, as a trial but became terribly mixed up and gained 6Ibs lol, I clearly wasn't using it correctly. I can only do my best and the reduction of carbs in my diet is about all I can cope with right now.

I see on here that many weigh and measure to the miniscule of weights, well I haven't got time for that, I really haven't, otherwise my life would be so focused on just me alone and what I eat.

I'd have to be sensible and if what I'm doing now is a start, I can only improve on it and keep reducing and eliminating those foods that spike my bg levels.

Oh thank you for the links, I joined the Low Carb last year, but can't log in. I've tried again this morning and changed my password, but it still won't log me in saying my credentials are incorrect. I have only gained access once after I joined. So unsure what to do. I messaged them before, but never had a reply. There was useful info on there too

Reactions: Ultramum

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I joined the Low Carb last year, but can't log in. I've tried again this morning and changed my password, but it still won't log me in saying my credentials are incorrect. I have only gained access once after I joined. So unsure what to do. I messaged them before, but never had a reply. There was useful info on there too
emoji53.png

I'll tag @CaptainWard for you to see if she can sort this out for you. It's a shame to miss out on it. There are others who have had the same problem.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Like us all, I have a lot going on and sometimes, well, most times when I finally get home in the evening 7.30 onward, it's difficult to know what to prepare for tea. I find there's a lot of buying of fresh veg and although it's cheap enough, I find I need something quick otherwise there's no time to fit other things in during the evening.

Have you tried batch cooking? Many in your situation do this. Set aside a time when you can cook up some delicious meals that can then be separated into portion sizes and frozen. Hey presto, you have some ready meals. Many also use slow cookers where you just throw things in, switch on, and go to work. I don't cook at all, my husband does all that, so I'm not really the person for advice on this matter.

There is a wonder bread that has under 10g carbs per roll. It is the Lidl High Protein Roll. If you have a Lidl near you it is well worth trying them. They freeze well. I like mine sliced in half and toasted with lots of butter. In addition to being low carb they are high in fibre. They are very popular with folk on this forum and don't seem to raise BS levels significantly.

If lunches are a problem, rather than a sandwich, why not prepare a packed lunch? Boiled eggs, cherry toms, cold meats, mashed tinned salmon, cheese, some mayo or whatever you like. Eggs can be boiled in advance and kept in the fridge for ages so there are always some there. Just throw things in a container while your morning kettle is boiling. Quick and easy.

As for weighing, some do, some don't. I did for a while but once I was used to seeing portion sizes on my plate I didn't need to anymore. I measure by the spoonful - a serving spoon of this, a dessert spoon of that and so on, plus counting things that can be counted. 4 strawberries don't need to be weighed. I must say at this point, although I weigh nothing, I do keep a food diary even after 3 years. Not exactly a precise food diary anymore, more a list of foods in that meal without any portion sizes etc.

Low carb does work, but initially a bit of effort has to be put in, then it all becomes second nature.

Quirkybee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you for all your advice Bluetit. Lunch time seems fine. I eat salad most days and vary it with tuna, mackerel or meat. I have a slither of aldis french light dressing or a zig zag over my food of salad cream. That's a quick zig zag too lol.
I never seem to have time to prepare in advance as my wl ends are so busy, but it sounds like a plan and a good one too. I will do it. Anything is better than struggling or eating the wrong food come 8pm in the evening.

I'm just unsure on the high fat side of this diet. Just can't get it into my head about not eating lower fat foods. It sounds crazy, but it clearly works for many people.

I enjoyed the protein rolls, so may try them again when near a Lidl store.

Thank you

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fish cooks quickly in a frying pan with butter. One leek takes a minute to slice and then can be fried in butter while the fish is cooking. Add a slug of double cream and you have a quick LCHF tea

Quirkybee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm not a big cream lover if honest. I certainly can't eat a savoury breakfast and I can't go back to frying in any kind of oil/butter. Love fish though, any kind really.
Maybe it's a slow process of adapting to it all. I'll soon see.

Reactions: Ultramum

Pauline2015

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you both.

I'm trying my best to eat well, but I'm on a budget and don't always have the right ingredients in stock. Planning the weeks meals is very useful though, I have proved that.
Being diabetic has changed my life, but since I made the change ref my diet, I have felt better and gained more energy and weight loss is happening, albeit slow.

I've found a bread that is around 10g carbs per slice but I've not checked my bg after eating it, as that was an eat on the go moment..... The sandwich I had last week was a shop bought one.

I tried the LCHF months ago, as a trial but became terribly mixed up and gained 6Ibs lol, I clearly wasn't using it correctly. I can only do my best and the reduction of carbs in my diet is about all I can cope with right now.

I see on here that many weigh and measure to the miniscule of weights, well I haven't got time for that, I really haven't, otherwise my life would be so focused on just me alone and what I eat.

I'd have to be sensible and if what I'm doing now is a start, I can only improve on it and keep reducing and eliminating those foods that spike my bg levels.

Oh thank you for the links, I joined the Low Carb last year, but can't log in. I've tried again this morning and changed my password, but it still won't log me in saying my credentials are incorrect. I have only gained access once after I joined. So unsure what to do. I messaged them before, but never had a reply. There was useful info on there too
Hi Quirky bee

I use frozen veg in the week but fresh veg at weekends. Frozen is just as good as fresh. I usually buy morrisons own frozen veg I find it very good.

As for logging into the low carb program are you pressing the join now button cos I made that mistake. There is an orange tab that you press to log in so if you try it that way you may be successful.

Pauline x
Thank you both.