Prediabetes High Readings - Does Hayfever Affect BG?

JuliaAR

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
The pollen season is here in force and, along with the sneezing and sore eyes, I have noticed that my FBG and general levels through the day have increased quite a lot. Does anyone else with hayfever have the same response? :confused:

JuliaAR

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
This has been the exact same as me today!
Thanks Amy993. Nice to know that I am not unique in my weird responses! Does piriton (antihistamine) make it better or worse? I am wondering whether treating the hayfever will help the BG or whether taking the antihistamine will make it worse. :banghead:

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did some googling and the worst medication for raising levels can be nasal sprays that contact steriods.

I use certerazine all year round for allergies but have found that my levels have risen so will check out the pollen count.

Allergies cause inflamation but I can find no direct link with increasing blood glucose levels.

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It would make sense, allergic reactions trigger stress hormones like cortisol which would tend to raise glucose levels. It's a done, you just get ball levels right then something comes along and changes it! Good luck

Reactions: JuliaAR

Amy993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks Amy993. Nice to know that I am not unique in my weird responses! Does piriton (antihistamine) make it better or worse? I am wondering whether treating the hayfever will help the BG or whether taking the antihistamine will make it worse. :banghead:

I am unsure, i can't swallow tablets so haven't currently tried it. I may have to if my hayfever carries on being bad. I only use antihistamine cream at the moment for when I have a rash

Reactions: JuliaAR

JuliaAR

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi everyone. Thanks for your replies. I tried an experiment and have found that if I take the antihistamine it doesn't really affect my levels but when I stop they start to rise again - figure that one out! So, I guess I will keep taking them as they help with the hayfever and don't seem to do any BG harm. Thanks for the advice about nasal sprays, Alison. I will steer clear of them.