metformin and alcohol

kevkevkev

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been on metformin for over 3 years and have at least 1 night out a week and also have a lads day out (all day and night drinking) at least twice a year in blackpool and i'm still here and and healthier now than i was 3 years ago. I gave up lots when diagnosed, wasn't willing to give up my social life too!

Reactions: Reddog

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I have a drink now again my GP. says it's fine in moderation - I asked what is moderation and he said stick to the recommended units per week and you'll be fine - lactic acidosis is very rare - speak to your GP or nurse if you are at all worried.

As far as I know you are drinking in moderation if you are drinking less than your GP.:happy:

Oh, and
The symptoms of lactic acidosis include abdominal or stomach discomfort; decreased appetite; diarrhea; fast, shallow breathing; a general feeling of discomfort; muscle pain or cramping; and unusual sleepiness, tiredness, or weakness. If you have any symptoms of lactic acidosis, get emergency medical help right away.

Apart from the (unusual?) sleepiness after a few drinks I don't seem to have the other symptoms.
As others have noted, the notes with medication are mainly **** covering by the drug companies.

As ever, drink to your meter.

Steve978

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant lazy selfish humans .
Hi everyone I'm new to this forum and find it great that I am not on my own anymore.I have type2 diabetes and take 2 metformin tablets 500 mg twice daily, The doctor stated that a few beers would not harm me at all and I try and stick to that. Statins I've stopped taking them again due to the side effects which are muscle and joint pains I will see the doctor again soon and he will prescribe me with a different type of statin again not sure how many types of statins there are.

Cook1e

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Strict Diets, boring exercise such as Gym or jogging...
I specifically asked the question at the Diabetis Clinic yesterday having been recently diagnosed and started on Metaformin a couple of weeks ago. I was told that as long as I stick to the guidelines (14 units per week, drinking spread over 3 or more days with non alcohol days etc) then drinking alcohol is not a problem with the Metaformin. I had just been quizzed on how much I drink and I had already reduced my intake about 18 months ago anyway and am averaging under 12 units a week now anyway and gone are the days when I'd knock back 5 or 6 pints in an evening like I used too before I reduced my input!

D

Deleted member 308541

As ever, drink to your meter.
I'll drink to that one mate.
be5Za.gif

Reactions: Reddog

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
With my luck I am sure that I would have every side effect ever considered possible.